2009 YZ250F Break In

Hey, I am just wondering if there is any one out there that could let me know the proper break-in procedure for a 09 Yz250F, I don't yet have it but soon and I am curious as to how to break it in. If any motorcycle mechanic or someone who has already done it could let me know that would be great thanks.

what i did was, fill the tank with premuim, added about 100 ml to the gas for extra lube in the cylender. as for the crank and stuff i kept the throttle from half to 3\4 for short periods of time. so it means alot of starting and shutting off, but i havent had any problems with my '09 Yz250f yet. another suggestion is when downshifting dont use the clutch, it helps break in the engine break

multiple test have been done on the "hard" vs. "easy" break in method with perfect ring sealing as the goal.

The results show that the "hard" method works much better than the easy. The reason being today's metals are much harder than metals a few decades ago thus requiring friction in order for the 2 surfaces to mate.

the hard method is : for the 1st time out, use heavy acceleration, heavy throttle , short shifting , keeping a load on the motor/piston/rings. The best place for this would be deep sand, or uphills. Do not overrev. Run in this method for a minimum of 10 mins. Let bike cool down completely to the touch. 2nd time out: ride it like you stole it!! Don't baby it.

Easy method: baby it . Put oil in gas. putz around on it barely revving and barely making noise.

Both work but 1 mates the rings to the cylinder much better.

Exactly what he(^) said, i brake in all 4 of my brand new bikes i get each year the hard way.

My method is the following...

when i first get it home, drain the oil. Put new oil in it. Start it

let it idle for 5 minutes, turn it off, drain the oil, put new oil in it, let it cool completely down

start it, take a slow lap around my track, then ride it like i stole it

If i were you, i would follow the mototune way which is what i pretty much do myself....

Heres the link...

http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Yes absolutly do it the mototune method. I broke my 08 yz250f in that way and bike runs like a top with 90 hours still on stock piston, I will be changing piston right before spring which means I will have over 100 hours and I have no worries.

multiple test have been done on the "hard" vs. "easy" break in method with perfect ring sealing as the goal.

The results show that the "hard" method works much better than the easy. The reason being today's metals are much harder than metals a few decades ago thus requiring friction in order for the 2 surfaces to mate.

the hard method is : for the 1st time out, use heavy acceleration, heavy throttle , short shifting , keeping a load on the motor/piston/rings. The best place for this would be deep sand, or uphills. Do not overrev. Run in this method for a minimum of 10 mins. Let bike cool down completely to the touch. 2nd time out: ride it like you stole it!! Don't baby it.

Easy method: baby it . Put oil in gas. putz around on it barely revving and barely making noise.

Both work but 1 mates the rings to the cylinder much better.

I followed the owners manual and had zero problems-and I race desert twice a month.I just tore it down with 100+ hours on it and everything was still in spec but I hade already purchased the parts so in they went.Piston rings are not the only thing wearing in on a new motor,lots of surfaces are rubbing together and you need to let them mate in properly.I think hard breakins are B.S.-you are asking for trouble. follow the manual and if something goes wrong under warranty you will be covered. Those rings are going to seal no matter what-folklore and ignorance dictate hard breakins.

Alot of friends have Honda CRF250's (poor bastids). The ones that are ridden hard from the start don't use oil and run pretty good.

The ones that are babied tend to use oil and aren't as fast.

I check my new bikes for anything loose or adjusted wrong. I grease the steering head bearings and the swingarm bearings and linkage and then ride around the block get it hot. Then I dump the oil and filter and then ride it like it was designed to be ridden.

But it's your bike and break it in the way you want to. Yamaha's are the most reliable bikes out there anyway.

I followed the owners manual and had zero problems-and I race desert twice a month.I just tore it down with 100+ hours on it and everything was still in spec but I hade already purchased the parts so in they went.Piston rings are not the only thing wearing in on a new motor,lots of surfaces are rubbing together and you need to let them mate in properly.I think hard breakins are B.S.-you are asking for trouble. follow the manual and if something goes wrong under warranty you will be covered. Those rings are going to seal no matter what-folklore and ignorance dictate hard breakins.

LOL, the warranty will be long gone before you break it in 'by the book'.

William I was about to say the same. And yes when I had my 04 crf250 I broke it in per manual and it burned oil every moto. Then when I changed piston I did it like mototune and just like oldnbold says. Listen to william me and oldnbold Were old (Lol) experience.

When I got my WR last year, I had to have the suspension shortened (I have freakishly short legs). My bike was 45 days old before the first ride.......
That is why you break it in as soon as possible-dont wait 30+ days to run it in.