Sign in to follow this  

New to us 230 and 150!!!

Santa Claus was very nice this year and left a 2003 CRF230F and a 2004 CRF 150F under the tree!!! The 230 is for me and the 150 is for my wife and step-daughter to share. Now I have lots of questions…

The 230 I picked up for $900 and it is actually in really good shape except the front forks were twisted. I loosened everything up and got them fairly straight again but it seems something still might be twisted or bent but it isn’t obvious. I removed the front wheel and rotated each shock in the triple clamps but neither seemed bent so I don’t know. Any ideas?

Ordered power up kits, needles, jets, moose hand guards for both bikes. They do not like cold right now but hopefully a little re-jetting will help. Took both bikes from Indiana down to NC to visit family and then had to go riding at Brown Mountain. It was great but it was darn cold (17 degrees with the wind screaming!). My 10 year old son stuck it out with me on his XR70 and we had a blast.

Tires. Both bikes could use new rubber. I was going to go with the recommendations from here since I am getting back into off-road riding after 20 years but I am having a hard time with sizing. I wanted to get the Scorpion Pro for the 230 because I am considering a dual-sport kit for it later but the stock sizes for the 230 are 80/100-21 and 100/100-18. Will a 90/90-21 and 120/100-18 work on the 230? I don’t have to get DOT tires right now but just thought since I am spending the money why not. How about Dunlop D606s?

And the 150 needs tires too. What is there that will work for it? I would like to get something to possibly do some beginner HS on later this year and I saw in one post the IRC VE33/35 were a good recommended inexpensive tire but I can’t find any to fit the 150 at 70/100-19 and 90/100-16.

Any other advice is greatly appreciated regarding these bikes or Hare Scrambles. Thanks!

Honda230Rider check your PMs. I tried to send something to you and it went to MotoMan...

the re-jetting will definitely help out with cold starting. For new rubber maybe some Maxxis IT's, Dunlop 756's. what kind of terrain do you ride on?

Here is a little something from the District 15 HS info page regarding terrain and conditions. Pretty close to how it is all over Indiana...

Attica: This is the Badlands Off Road Park. It was formerly a sand and gravel pit. Also contains clay soils and a variety of hills, wide trail.

Bedford, KY: very hilly, near the Ohio river. Clay soils with lots of rocks, numerous rocky creek beds, many open grass track sections, mature timber.

Bloomingdale, MI: very flat, mixed soils, few rocks. includes large MX track, ditches and stream crossings, wide trail.

Bronson, MI: very flat, includes large MX track, lots of jumps and open areas, limited woods. Sandy soils with few rocks, mature pine trees/ hardwood mix. Damp areas in hardwoods become deeply rutted with exposed tree roots, wide trail.

Cayuga: Mix of woods, hills, grass, and MX sections. Course generally crosses a small stream twice each lap. Soils are clay / loam, medium to wide trail.

Columbus: Southern Indiana clay with scattered rocks, rocky sections and limestone creek beds. Heavily wooded with mature timber, lots of elevation changes, and hills of all sizes. Tight to medium trail width, no open fields but logging roads are sometimes included.

Freeman: Rolling land, mature hardwoods. Moderate hills, open field grass track sections, soils are clay / loam with few rocks, tight trail. Greencastle: Farm country, flat fields, numerous small hills and ravines in mature woods. Soils are clay / loam, few rocks. Tight trails, small log crossings, includes a short MX section

Ligonier: Rolling land, deep sand to dirt / sand mix soils, scattered rocks. Usually includes sections of MX track and some open sections around perimeter of a peat bog. Mature hardwoods, medium to wide trail.

Lynnville: Southern Indiana clay with lots of rocks. This is coal mine country so expect hills and ridges created by old strip mining draglines before mine reclamation was required.…the locals call them “spoils” Hills are steep but of moderate height, a mix of hardwoods and pines. Not many open areas, mature hardwood / pine mix, some natural areas remain.

yah any intermediate tire will work for what your doing. I heard the Maxxis IT lasts pretty long. I have to get my rear tire on before I can tell you how they work.

For a tweaked front end on these bikes take the front wheel off and drop the shocks to where the top of the for is only held by the lower triple. Check the tubes are parrellel. If not, good chance the lower triple is bent. A 2 by 4 wil straighten it out if you apply gentle bending force to the lowest point on the forks. Worked like a charm to get the 150 from very bent up to perfectly straight.

Of course, before doing this, be sure the forks are straight by checking them on a level surface or against each other.

I know a half A$$ed way to align the front tire is to loosen the axle, spin the wheel hard, and then insta-stop it with the front brake a few times, then tighten the axle back up without messing up the alignment and you should be good to go. For the variety of terrain you described there, I would say go with the maxxis as well, one of the best general purpose tires on the market.