Sign in to follow this  

need to strip

i need to strip my whole bike and its is scareing me a bit i got a crack on one of the engine mounts on the frame that needs sorting and frame needs a good paint or powder coat and to do a few more things wile apart, grease etc wot is the best way of doing this with out it turning in to a head ache:bonk:

if you got a digital camera take as many pictures as you can

damn, i was hoping this thread was a girl who "needs to strip".....the titles was misleading

Take lots of pictures, label things. Make sure you have a clean, organized work space. A cluttered mess will really make things tough.

And take your time! Its really not that hard.

Before, during, and after. All done in my basement. First time I EVER tore down a bike (I'm a computer geek for a living.)

DSC00028.jpg

DSC00030.jpg

DSC00033.jpg

DSC00034.jpg

DSC00035.jpg

DSC00082.jpg

(I didn't take the engine/tranny out, but it was only a few more bolts and cable connections from here.)

DSC00086.jpg

DSC00087.jpg

DSC00088.jpg

...and back together:

DSC00157.jpg

As the guys wrote above:

- Plastic bags

- Accurate labeling

- Pictures

- Manual! Manual! Manual!

- Patience

Just give yourself plenty of time and stay relaxed. :busted: Looking forward to your pics of your teardown. If I can do it...anyone can!

All i do is get a magnetic tray and put everything on that.:moon: Your stuff is way more organized than mine haha. all the bigger stuff is in a big pile. I just work my way through things and put it all back together one thing at a time. And yes a manual is always good to have when you forget how something goes. :busted:

damn, i was hoping this thread was a girl who "needs to strip".....the titles was misleading

regardless ...... pics are a good thing :busted:

zip loc baggies and when you can just put the bolt back into the part it came from....

A note book is good too

and when you can just put the bolt back into the part it came from....
Yes, yes, yes! Very nice. This is simple and keeps the bolts EXACTLY where their supposed to be.

put bolts back in threads where they should be or on the part that it goes to (obviously not on frame if your pcing\painting it) always helps me. and label things definatly.