I took a fantastic off-road motorcycle tour in Morocco

In October 2008, I joined Motoaventures for the 7-day Desert Tour they offer in southeastern Morocco.

We were a group of 12 riders, all equipped with KTM 450 EXC bikes, in superb condition.

The group, guided by Motoaventures owners John Griffiths (riding) and Su Downham

(driving the main support vehicule) left Ouarzazate for a 5-day, approximately 1200 km off-road loop

in a spectacular terrain of mountains, rocky desert flats and sand dunes.

Tinehir.jpg

A magnificent view over the Todra oasis looking towards Tinerhir, after a full day of riding in river beds,

winding mountain roads and gorges. The accommodation was very nice and the beer was cold.

Dakar_track.jpg

Day 2, this is my bike begging me to get on the track to Erfoud. To allow all levels of riding,

some guys opted for the tarmac and some chose to ride off-road. At the end of the day,

the hotel was excellent again, permitting a much-needed break after an adrenalin-charged

10 hours of riding.

Fats_to_dunes.jpg

Above, on day 3, heading towards Merzouga, the fast flats led us to the the spectacular dunes of Erg Chebbi.

IMG_0532.jpg

John (a Dakar veteran) gave us a valuable briefing on how to ride in the dunes.

Erg_Chebbi.jpg

Erg_Chebbi_2.jpg

My KTM, resting after a 650 feet cathedral dune adrenalin-charged climb. (It is a good

thing the motorcycles were maintained in tip-top condition by Houssain, the ride-along mechanic).

IMG_0250.jpg

Dackar_trak_1.jpg

On day 4, the road to Zagora was actually a Dakar rally track. GPS navigation was mandatory

not only on the track, but also to find the desert auberge we stayed at for the night.

IMG_0534.jpg

Above, my wife, a non-rider, tagging along, taking pictures and joking with Su and Houssain

in the Land Rover. Our safety was taken seriously, the support vehicule being filled with luggage,

water, medical supplies, sat-phone and a cooler filled with cold beers and Mars bars:worthy:

We rode back to Ouarzazate on Day 5, and Françoise and I decided to stay for an extra week

to visit and discover this wonderful Moroccan culture. The whole experience of the tour

was excellent, and I would do it again tomorrow.:busted:

IMG_0618.jpg

A view over Essaouira, with its oceanfront Medina.

IMG_0727.jpg

A vendor in Marrakesh, where the souks are labyrinths and the people helpful and welcoming.

Here is a link to a movie:

http://www3.sympatico.ca/bruno.lacelle/forum_pictures/fun_in_morocco_3.mov

If you want more information on Motoaventures, ask me or go to:

www.motoaventures.com

Thats looks like a great trip. What was the cost? I would love to do something like that?

I too am interested in the cost, as next winter I may plan to do something exotic like that.

-Rick

Thanks for the posting. There are so many cool bike-related vacations and adventures waiting out there for us to try. Nice pics.

Thats looks like a great trip. What was the cost? I would love to do something like that?

It was fantastic! The price for the "desert tour" is 2300 euros or around 3300 US dollars. This includes everithing but the air fare. You can have all the details at:

www.motoaventures.com

Thanks for the posting. There are so many cool bike-related vacations and adventures waiting out there for us to try. Nice pics.

Thanks! I will take another one of their tour in the future for sure.