2 Strokes holding strong!

I plan to keep my 01 cr250... although I do plan on buying my first 450 in a month or so. I'll keep the 2t for when the 450:

Won't start

Won't run right

Need 20 hours of maintenance

Needs $5000 of engine work

This thing better knock a few seconds off my lap times!

It will start fine. It will run stronger and harder than you could ever imagine, if you haven't rode one yet. The maintenance is easy although you have to keep the bike in good repair. If you do this your bike will likely never need 5000 dollars worth of work. If they could make these bikes lighter, less resistant to overheating, and a bit more agile it would be the end of 2 strokes for ever. I don't think it's to far away. The 4 st bikes are undergoing huge changes from year to year now and getting better all the time.

Anyway, for me I'm selling my CRF 450 as I just bought a new 08 yz 250. the 450 is to much in the woods and I still see lots of guys blowing by 450's on out dated 2strokes.

Had a 05 WR450 & felt like a total pig!!! Too top heavy & just too heavy in general. Plus when in the woods it ran way hot to the point where I had to pull off for a bit to let it cool down but as for the 03 cr 250r that I've got set up for woods runs suprisingly cooler all day & is night & day in weight. Also in tight & open trails I can throw my CR into corners harder & faster & maintain total control. The WR doesnt even compare even close!!!!! Plus way cheeper to maintain even in the worst case scenario say a total rebuild! Face it, everyones ride is destin to ware out sooner or later!!!!!!!!!! Just my 02.

I'm slightly frustrated about the recent news that almost all of my riding group is changing from 2 stroke to 4 strokes. :busted: I just need to know that the 2 stroke community is still alive. I refuse to buy a 4 stroke because of the cost of ownership, weight, how hot they run, the sound, and they don't have that zippy power band. Y'all just lemme know we're still holding down on the 2 strokes!!:moon:

Well if you do ever decide to get a 4 stroke get a yz/wr 426. The cost of ownership is nothing if taken care of as they are extremely reliable. They have a powerband most like a 2 stroke out of all the 4 strokes because they have a hard hit in the midrange and then rev out for days:smirk:

braaap! 2 strokes smell so good. I may be old school, but they just make sense.

I read an article in MX Action that the AMA was going to allow 250 2 strokes to race in the 250 4stroke class... now that would be sweet and would jump start 2 stroke sales.

Ride on

MXA wrote that there was a possibility and that Davey Coombs was trying to get this done. Eternaltwostroke.com was also posting this and asking that we all email Davey in support of it. If you care, email him at dc@racerxonline.com or click here to read it...

http://www.eternaltwostroke.com/

Oh, and good gas to those who email!

We only ride older 2 strokes that we do all the work on. Only trail ridden and we put a top end each year and one fouled plug in the past year. So many wrecks and broken parts.

Time, and deals on ebay keep us ticking. The only time we have ever been stranded by one of our bikes in the 3 years since I started is when an original topend blew when we pushed it to far. I always make sure to install a new topend now with these old bikes because you just cannot trust previous owners. In fact for whatever reason, every bike I have got off craigslist had an oldschool piston.

I have never even ridden a 4 stroke beyond a simple flat loop for a minute. I'm scared of them and don't even know how to start them, lol.

Only wierd thing I have seen in my encounters with 4 strokes is people having a wreck and after getting up, there electric start would not turn the bike over. So we had to wait until somebody in the group would take the bike back down and bump start it, because they could not.

And I have seen a few honda 450's get very angry in tight slow moving trails. Like the bike dying and then that guy keeps kicking and kicking trying to get it started again?

I heard this somewhere not to sure where, but they say that AMA or FIM are changing the race classes, so that its based on engine size(cc) so in 250 class, it would be faster to ride 250 2 stroke :moon: I have a SXF 250 :busted: I wanted to get the 200SX or a 125. But my dad said its gonna be better in the long run ...

Ride Safe

Mate, i think that a few of us had 4 strokes,and comeback to the smokers..

there's a reason...........we feel it ,4 stroke is for tractors,cars,pro-racers,and people who are learning to ride ,i think that all that amateurs with their CRF's could be fasters than me(???), but i know that the feelings are other world,i could be faster than they with a prototype or the same bike.......is not the bike is how you feel it!!

I felt 2t's were dying fast a couple years ago, but now it seems like they're on the upswing again. Makes me wonder if the things that have been mentioned are catching up with people and they're looking for simplicity again.

I agree, look at all the KTM 2 strokes in offroad and now Husky has more 2 stroke options and also Gas-Gas. Hopefully the big 4 will see this and start bringing the 2 strike back.

A few weeks ago at the gym on a Thurs. evening after work a young guy was going around telling some of us other dirt bike riders about his 2007 CRF250R 4t that he wants to sell. I asked him why he wanted to sell such a new bike and his response was this. "It needs rebuilding and there is absolutely no way that I can possibly afford it. I bought it brand new in 2007." One of the best Honda technicians that I have ever known at one of the local Honda shops recently told me this. "Young MX racers are bringing their four-stroke CRFs in here all of the time where they have blown them up racing. When I tell them what it is going to cost to repair the bike they nearly faint right here on the shop floor. Most of them respond by saying that they are going to quit racing a four-stroke and just sell the bike and replace it with another two-stroke." He also said, "The vast majority of them don't even bother having the four-stroke repaired once they hear what it is going to cost them."

A few weeks ago at the gym on a Thurs. evening after work a young guy was going around telling some of us other dirt bike riders about his 2007 CRF250R 4t that he wants to sell. I asked him why he wanted to sell such a new bike and his response was this. "It needs rebuilding and there is absolutely no way that I can possibly afford it. I bought it brand new in 2007." One of the best Honda technicians that I have ever known at one of the local Honda shops recently told me this. "Young MX racers are bringing their four-stroke CRFs in here all of the time where they have blown them up racing. When I tell them what it is going to cost to repair the bike they nearly faint right here on the shop floor. Most of them respond by saying that they are going to quit racing a four-stroke and just sell the bike and replace it with another two-stroke." He also said, "The vast majority of them don't even bother having the four-stroke repaired once they hear what it is going to cost them."

WOW. I guess this explains where all the C class racers aren't. Their bikes are in the barn blown up because they sure are not on the gates. C class used to be triple the size of all the other classes. Now it's the smallest class. MX is for the rich now I guess.

Well the only way to look @ this is for every blown up CRF250&450 you can convert them to a CR500AF or pay someone with this prior experience to do it & never look back @ a four stroke. You can get on @ www.bannedcr500riders.com & see that the average joe can do this conversion & they have great pics & step by step that wont leave you in the dark. Thus if you have any questions they are more that willing to help.

• Like 1