Hotcam with R pipe anyone

hey guys, I`ve been reading over countless posts on this forum trying to find a good setup for my 06 crf250x. This is what I have come up with.

06 crf 250x

JD jet kit

opened air box

removed back fire screen

uncorked exaust

13/51 gearing

What is your opinion on adding a hotcam stage one with R head pipe. if I was to do this should I keep the x can or go with a r can. Also is it worth to cut my pink wire with this cam and pipe setup.

Friend of mine put the R cam in and it did run fast and harder and he had to replace his valves sooner too. I just jetted adn put a pipe on mine and I think it runs great. I rarely won drag races but once on the trail top speed never matters, Handling does!

hey guys, I`ve been reading over countless posts on this forum trying to find a good setup for my 06 crf250x. This is what I have come up with.

06 crf 250x

JD jet kit

opened air box

removed back fire screen

uncorked exaust

13/51 gearing

What is your opinion on adding a hotcam stage one with R head pipe. if I was to do this should I keep the x can or go with a r can. Also is it worth to cut my pink wire with this cam and pipe setup.

Here is a write up that I did a while back on just about all the combos you can think of.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=633244&highlight=cam

Friend of mine put the R cam in and it did run fast and harder and he had to replace his valves sooner too. I just jetted adn put a pipe on mine and I think it runs great. I rarely won drag races but once on the trail top speed never matters, Handling does!

The cam did not change the way that the valves wore down. The cam is not going to change the way that the valves wear out. Other wise by your logic the R bikes would lose there valves exponentially faster than the X and that's not the case.

06 crf 250x

JD jet kit

opened air box

removed back fire screen

uncorked exaust

13/51 gearing

what kind or riding do you do? tight stuff or more wide open riding? I ran a stage 1 hot cam with the full R exhaust, cut pink wire and 13/53 and 13/52 sprocket for nearly a year and had good results. The hot cam provides a nice low end-mid boost, but just falls on its face in the upper rpm's. I'm now running an 06 R cam and there is a loss of low end, but it pulls to the moon in the higher rpm's. I personally would skip the hot cam and look for an 05/07/08R cam.....they will provide a nice boost everywhere in the rpm range.

good luck!

hey, yeah HIT THE SET I read your post on different setups. Very nice I must say. I ride 85% woods and 15 service roads in New Brunswick Canada. I think I am going to do the hotcam , r header and x can. have you only done the hotcam setup with full r exhaust. I woul like feedback on how the X can worked with this configuration.

Thanks in advance.

I have an '06 that I did the closed course mods (including r cam, r header, drilled diffuser, pink wire, airbox, jetting) and can't say enough how much this improved the bike! I bought this for my teenage daughter (I have a ktm 525) and have to say the lack of power made it boring and hard to ride stock (couldn't wheelie over obstacles and had a decent bog). I kinda ended up with this combination by accident since my daughter smashed the original header riding one day. I found the r header off ebay (it was the only one I could find used) and while I was searching also found an R model cam (almost new) from an 07 for a reasonable so purchased them both. Installation of the cam was easy (like others that have posted I didn't even need to change the valve shims using the Honda part- not sure if this would happen with an aftermarket cam).

I've ridden it since then an it's like a completely different bike! couldn't feel any loss in low end but the midrange and topend were like the bike is 100cc's bigger! I wheelies easily now, bog is gone and is a blast to ride ( In fact, I'm taking it this weekend to middlecreek instead of my KTM for a change of pace). Do yourself a favor and just pick up a used R cam and the header and you won't b disappointed. In my impression, the cam is the most critical part as I had done some of the other mods (airbox, diffuser and jetting) before the pipe/cam and the improvment was minimal at best.

thanks Rossterman, I bought the hotcam and an R header off ebay a hour ago.....guess I`ll be trying out that config for now.

hey im from sk and am havin trouble finding a used 250r exhaust system i was wondering if an fmf powerbomb or dr.d would be better or about the same preformance?

I did the 05 R Cam and header on my X. I took off the R header and went back the the X because I lost a lot of bottom end. I ride mostly woods so I needed the the tourque.

The hot cam stage 1 and the r head pipe was the worst combo i ever tried.

The short pipe design for top end power the r head pipe gives you ruins the lower end power gains you get from the hot cam.

The hot cam stage 1 falls on its face in the high rpm just when the pipe is coming alive.

In other words they cancel out each others strong points.

Match the the cam and the head pipes power characteristics for the best results.

The 05 r cam is a nice grind that you can get good results with most pipe setups.

If your riding woods mostly stick with the stock x head pipe, a drd set up or an fmf power bomb. If you ride wide open all day the r head pipe is the way to go.:banghead:

i have been asking the same questions about cams,pipes & big bore kits and what i found out was nothings free I'm not about talking $ i called hot cam the stage 1 cam does not have the same bottom end that the stock X cam has I'm not trying to build an R MXer I'm a woods racer the X is easy to ride in the super technical stuff and the big bore you will lose some dependability I have the CC mods and an R header I'm going to get an X FMF mega bomb and Q silencer and remember it's woods bike not an MXer

Edited by stkman62

ya i do allot of long distance riding so its fun to have the top end on the roads but i ride allot of trails and mud and stuff to so i love the bottom end im looking for a set up that will be kinda even all the way through does anyone have any ideas for that?

oh and i upgraded to a 250x last year not on a 230 anymore

I have an 05 and here is what i did, remove and plug all smog crap, open air box, R cam, jet carb, twin air power flow, header, fmf pipe, 06 head and valves. you will not belive how much faster and all around better it is.

i did this over a few yrs. but i did the cam, header, air box first.

If you want to see the cam and pipe wake up, up the piston to a 08 R piston or 13.5.

My wife's '06 250x had to be rebuilt and we put a 250r head, wiseco piston, falicon rod, hot stage 1 cam and dr. d exhaust, as well as going to a 13/50 sprocket combo. She has power all the way from bottom to top.

Sorry 14/50 on the sprockets...

thanks guys i think im just going to put the 08 r cam in with opened airbox and maybe r exhaust

thanks guys i think im just going to put the 08 r cam in with opened airbox and maybe r exhaust

If you go with the R, understand there is no spark arrestor in the stock R muffler.