Sign in to follow this  

Is this a good idea?

I was thinking about building a pit bike ground up. I found some rolling chassis on ebay, and some low priced engines. I think it would be fun to build a bike, but is it worth it? It's not like I'm racing or anything, I just want something that we can tool around with in the backyard. How hard is it to get a bike up and running?

I was thinking about building a pit bike ground up. I found some rolling chassis on ebay, and some low priced engines. I think it would be fun to build a bike, but is it worth it? It's not like I'm racing or anything, I just want something that we can tool around with in the backyard. How hard is it to get a bike up and running?

I havent expierianced my self, but i know people that have. Its not hard at all, its just takes alot of time and you really gotta know what your doing... not saying you dont, but it can get alittle hecktic sometimes. There alot of little stuff you gotta do. But my appinion, i would just buy a new one. Save's time, money and frustration.

I'm just trying to find ways to get a pit bike sooner, so I don't have to spend as much time saving my money. I was thinking it would be like paying for it a little at a time. It would be easier to save up $300 or so, buy the engine, then save up for a rolling chassis or something. It wouldn't get me riding sooner, but at least I would be occupied in the mean time. That's my thought process in this situation. Please stop me now if I'll regret going this route.

Well, there are a lot of cheap-o, unsafe rollers on ebay that you really wouldn't want to waste your time with, and your other option would be to buy a used CRF based bike...

I'm just trying to find ways to get a pit bike sooner, so I don't have to spend as much time saving my money. I was thinking it would be like paying for it a little at a time. It would be easier to save up $300 or so, buy the engine, then save up for a rolling chassis or something. It wouldn't get me riding sooner, but at least I would be occupied in the mean time. That's my thought process in this situation. Please stop me now if I'll regret going this route.

Dude yeah if you want to go for it, do it. if the $$$ there do it, its a good experiance.

I found some frames on Ebay ranging from $65-$100. Does anyone know how well these hold up?

Im not really sure.

I have a 2003 xr100 roller (excellent) That you can start with.

I bought most of my pitbike from various people on ebay....I bought some quality stuff and I got some crap too..do your homework and weed out the crap....the frames that are $50 and less are crap so beware...there is some good stuff tho.... I got a $1200 American made frame off Ebay for $200...new

GYTR stuff is soooo expensive...I have a pitbike (SDG/Lifan based) a XR/CRF50, and a TTR50E and the Yamaha is the most expensive and the least available for hop-up parts. I am a Yamaha guy and got a stable full of Yamahas but as far as minis go and affordability/availability of performance goods ya should go with a Honda or China/Honda based engine

It may be a while before I can start this build. :thinking: I still have to fix my big bike, which will cost me a lot of money. I'd like to try to build a 50 based bike with a GPX 90cc motor. Has anyone on this website built a pit bike ground up, and if so, would you be willing to post some pics of your bike?

I will be coming back from the desert 2morrow...when I clean the minis up I will post a pick of the bike I built from the ground up...:thinking: