Sign in to follow this  

Help! DRZ goes down in Salt and Acid

Here's my story. Took my brother out riding :moon: on a salt lake over the weekend. He's riding the DRZ. Hits a jump at about 50mph and wrecks into a giant mud pit filled with salts/acid deposits. Not good. Couldn't get the bike out and had to stay overnight until we could get the proper equipment to pull it out. :busted:

Got the bike all washed up last night. Engine casing look like a worm got to them. Small holes in multiple areas. Nothing leaking though. Mud everywhere. Took some serious pressure washing to get it clean including removing all plastics and fuel tank.

KalebWreck.jpg

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1747552539698175295

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5713823070059920531

Here's the advice I've gotten so far:

Wash again with warm water and baking soda (neutralize)

Wash again with soap and water

Let it dry out

Drain oil and check for water/sludge deposits

After doing all this will attempt to start but not till the above has been done

So far have just turned the key. Here's where it gets weird. When I remove the key the bike's lights will come on without the key in the ignition. So definitely have some water in there. Time will probably help it to dry but definitely need some help on this guys. Please offer what you know.

If the lake bed is that corrosive I'd think twice about riding it again!.......wow, it ate away at the cases?

the actual lake bed is sand and relatively safe although we always wash the bikes afterwards and coat the plastics. Never seen any damage to metal or plastics from this use. But there are a few areas that have heavy mineral deposits. Unfortunately he chose one that was deep and extremely difficult to get the bike out. Had to tow it out with 100 feet of cable with my truck.

I'll get pictures up shortly. The good news is right after the wreck it fired up. However, I haven't tried yet because I wanted to let it dry out after all the washing. Definitely staying optimistic but yeah... not the best place to wreck the bike.

I would basically pull everything off it and inspect it all. Wiring is screwed up, carb full of crap, filters probably a disaster.... Open head check valves, etc...

I would also make your brother buy the beer :busted: and pony up for parts.... :moon:

It's pretty crappy riding here in Florida, but I have to say that there are no bike eating pits of acid!:busted:

I am sorry to be Mr. negative here, was there any water in that pit? If so it sounds like it is time to start looking for a plot and a nice head stone for that DRZ. It is most likely giving up the ghost. Salt is like cancer to the alumnium. Acid has to be even worse. If it has eaten worm holes into the cases that is a real bad sign. To even attempt to recover from that you will have to tear it down to every last bolt and wash and inspect.

A friend once wrecked his XL 600 (dry sump bike like our Z's) in to a Northern California tide pool. It got several washes and flushes but it was to much for the thumper. It gave up the ghost.

Good luck.

Were you at salt flats,nm...at the base of guatalupe mtns.???? If the acid ate the case.....im not sure i`d trust any components anymore....But I think we need pic`s to tell. Good thing it was your brother.$$%#@*&%%:busted::moon:

Erling

It's pretty crappy riding here in Florida, but I have to say that there are no bike eating pits of acid!:busted:

You guys just got alligators:lol: , we've got pits of salt and acid, we don't mess around in New Mexico:smirk:

Here is a picture of my ride from this last weekend. The morning started out at around 11 degrees but warmed to a pleasent 45 degrees.

I'd like to know where these salt/acid beds are so I can stay away!

106.jpg

Check out first link... Updated with video and pictures.!!!!

ok... did a complete overhaul on the bike. To get this thing clean took 3 trips to the carwash. All plastics, tank off the bike.

Dumped the oil, took the head cover off and removed spark plug. Rotated engine around. Took the carb apart and cleaned everything with carb cleaner, both rims off and regreased axels... All in 1 night.

But the great news is she starts up first go and running great. Nothing got into the engine and only looks to be cosmetic damage.

However, electrical is still sorting its issues out. Ignition has a bit of a delay but might dry out over more time. The kill switch sticks even after taking it completely apart so probably will have to buy a new replacement.

Here's a :thinking: for the DRZ being so dependable. I got help from my brother and dad and the extra hands were the only reason was able to get it all done in one night and get out riding again.

Check out first link

Holy mackeral :smirk:.

Is you brother all pitted and shit or did you power wash him in time :smirk: .

I'm glad he wasn't hurt :thinking:

Good job getting the bike cleaned up and going again:thumbsup:. That sure was a weird thing that happen to you guys.

Never ever ride at that horrible place sgain. EVER!

you'd be suprised how great a riding place that it is. However, we have definitely found the area to not ride. :smirk: :smirk: :lol:

My brother is doing much better though. Went and got his back checked out at the doctor and everything is A OK :thinking::(

you'd be suprised how great a riding place that it is. However, we have definitely found the area to not ride. :smirk: :smirk: :lol:

My brother is doing much better though. Went and got his back checked out at the doctor and everything is A OK :thinking::(

The fact that your brother is ok is cool and all, but really, who cares?!

HOW'S THE BIKE!

But really, it's good that your brother came through ok. Now you won't have to feel bad when you beat him silly.

Bike is running well. Main issues currently. Kill switch sticks and is not useable. Will need a new one. Also the ignition definitely is acting up. Sometimes will turn the light on sometimes it won't. Have to switch it on and off and then it will finally start working.

Definitely a PITA but also showed me how much time it takes to tear this bike down and then put it back together. Just got back from a week on a cruise. Looking forward to riding this weekend for sure!!

I would basically pull everything off it and inspect it all. Wiring is screwed up, carb full of crap, filters probably a disaster.... Open head check valves, etc...

I would also make your brother buy the beer :thumbsup: and pony up for parts.... :p

i agree, i would completely dissasemble the bike. im wondering what the swingarm/linkage bearings look like. good luck

Bike is running well. Main issues currently. Kill switch sticks and is not useable. Will need a new one. Also the ignition definitely is acting up. Sometimes will turn the light on sometimes it won't. Have to switch it on and off and then it will finally start working.

Definitely a PITA but also showed me how much time it takes to tear this bike down and then put it back together. Just got back from a week on a cruise. Looking forward to riding this weekend for sure!!

you need to clean some electrical connections. go to an electronics store and get some contact cleaner, spray it in the ignition (like flood it) then excersize it with the key. take the number plate off and do the same thing to all the connectors, and the ones right under the seat on the left side of the bike.

this stuff works wonders

deoxit_D5_LG.gif

Thanks Sean for the advice... Went home yesterday and bike showed nothing on the display. I'm worried the battery may have gone dead over the week I was away. Will hook it to the battery tender tonight and try that spray and see what happens.