How to fix striped kickstarter spine

I have an 82 XT and unfortunately one time I must have forgot to put the bolt back in the kickstarter pedal that would secure it. After doing it many times without it, the teeth on both the pedal and spine are now strieped and will not work properly.

Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

I already tried drilling a hole through both and putting a bolt through but it breaks every time considering how much it has to much it has to move.

Any have is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks, sb66

If it were my bike, I would buy a new kickstarter shaft clamp (Yamaha calls it a "boss", it's still available for all the '82 XT's, $44 to $50 depending on model), then re-groove the shaft with a small sharp-tipped file as best I could, red Lock-Tite the shaft, line up the new boss with what's left of the shaft splines, and torque the bolt down good. If there's anything at all left of the shaft splines for the boss to grab, this should work fine.

I was going to suggest drilling & tapping the boss for two pointed-tip set screws, but it doesn't look like there's enough metal on the boss to do that.

Whatever you do, I would remove the kickstarter from the bike now - no sense in taking a chance it will flop around to a point where your foot could snag and engage it with the motor running. If that happens, $50 is going to seem like pocket change. :thinking:

Ray

if you can get some brass and do the same thing as what was explained with the aluminum can. You can get thicker brass and it fills in the gaps better than aluminum. its more malleable. Also be sure that you dont damage the seal when your putting the starter on with a sliver of metal between the shaft and the kick starter.