Sign in to follow this  

'97 CR250 rebuild with pics

it will prolly be ready in a few weeks...just have to recieve a few parts i ordered and it will be ready to go...cant wait! :)

well i got all the parts this morning and now its running...im not sure how to break it in...i started the bike for about 5 mins to see if anything leaked and when the cylinder got hot to the touch i shut it off...so how should i properly break it in?need to kno ASAP!

ride about 1/4 throttle/rpm, take a break, then 1/2, then 3/4. Should take 1 hour tops, then romp on it.

You could read for days and days about different ways to do a break-in. Above is what I have done. Maybe a little longer than an hour, and I don't totally scream the motor until about 1/2 way through the day.

i wont beat on it till i use like a full tank of gas...ill just ride around the yard doing what u said...how long should i wait between rides/breaks?

I wait like 10 or 20 minutes. Just the normal break that I do during a day of riding really.

glad you finally got her done. i just have to finish puttin this damn 07 airbox in my 98 and im ready to ride. freakin rediculous!

good luck and i hope u finish it soon!...im so glad i got it done you wouldnt imagine the diff a full rebuild will do to ur bike!

i have been really busy lately and me and the girl broke up so we had to move out and i havent had internet till now...ive had it running for about 2 months now...so how do u guys think it turned out??

he is still saying that he sfifted wrong and that he could walk all over me haha

that sounds like a hardcore 4 stroker lol

he is still saying that he sfifted wrong and that he could walk all over me haha

I just have to say....I love the 400ex 4 wheeler, it is an awesome bike. My next door neighbor has one and it is a blast to ride but it has no chance against a 250 bike, any 250 bike, 2 stroke or 4 stroke. We were goofing off one day and I drag raced him on my son's 2001 CR80, he pulled me by a little over a bike length right off the line (due to the 80 needing to pull my 165 lbs into the power band and I had to do some clutch work off the line to do it) and that was it, he didn't increase his lead and I didn't catch him at all. His 400 has a k&n filter on it and an fmf pipe and was jetted by the dealership to match those mods. My son's 2001 80 was bone stock. Just some perspective.

i should be able to do wheelies around him...he wont race me again cuz he says he doesnt want to hurt his 400!!!!!

Glad to hear it's running good! I was just thinking how you didn't give any updates recently and I wondering how you made out with it!

Glad to hear that too... I just bought a '97 and I'm finding bad bearings and parts in the wrong places on the rear shock linkage. Chain/sprockets worn out, brakes will need attention soon (rotors worn), couple small dingers in the rear rim I didn't see when I bought it, rear shock leaking bad, etc, etc, etc...

Starting with rear shock rebuild and getting the linkage bearings all sorted out.... but I hope mine turns out to be a fun bike to ride! Nice job on yours....

Yikes... Guess I didn't look at how old that thread was before I replied.. I was searching on "loose kickstart lever" for a '97 cr250 in this forum! lol...

If anyone reads this - Does the kickstart lever normally flop around in between the frame and pipe? Mine seems loose and bangs around on the FMF gold series fatty. I was going to find some kind of high temp rubber tubing to put on the lever to keep it from banging around, but thought maybe it was put in wrong... or has a return spring issue of some kind. Any insight?

Kyle#44x