Sign in to follow this  

Anyone ever compete in Baja 1000?

I'm a Canadian thinking of competing in the Baja 1000 in about 2 years. I want to ride a KTM 450 EXC for the purpose of just knowing I rode it...I have no intentions of thinking I'll win. I'm a typical weekend warrior with a few enduros and harescrambles....just mid pack rider.

I want to know some simple questions:

1. Can anyone register? If so, how do I do it and what is the cost?

2. Do you have to qualify to enter it, or just anything goes as long as you pay your fee?

3. Since the Joe-Rider class doesn't have chase vehicles, what happens if you break down or crash hard? Do they have sweeps that grab everyone after?

4. Any other tidbits of info would be great.

Thanks.

Shawn

I'm a Canadian thinking of competing in the Baja 1000 in about 2 years. I want to ride a KTM 450 EXC for the purpose of just knowing I rode it...I have no intentions of thinking I'll win. I'm a typical weekend warrior with a few enduros and harescrambles....just mid pack rider.

I want to know some simple questions:

1. Can anyone register? If so, how do I do it and what is the cost?

2. Do you have to qualify to enter it, or just anything goes as long as you pay your fee?

3. Since the Joe-Rider class doesn't have chase vehicles, what happens if you break down or crash hard? Do they have sweeps that grab everyone after?

4. Any other tidbits of info would be great.

Thanks.

Shawn

#1 Yes, You need to be a SCORE member.. start here http://www.score-international.com/

#2 No.. but I still think they have a sportsmam class or you can ride pro

#3 Get yourself a chase crew.....

#4 No really don't even think about this till you have friends, family, or Rent-a-buddy to be a chase crew... you'll need pit support try .. http://www.bajapits.com/

No sweeps unless you bring them....

I would maybe look at the 250 first ..that way you will get an idea of how it all works..and you will know firsthand if you wanna do that for 700 more mi.

#5 GOOD LUCK...:thinking:

Aye Carumba! Isn't there a book out yet on this topic?

Aye Carumba! Isn't there a book out yet on this topic?

This the kinder, gentler Baja forum. I think SNR should handle all these type threads.

SNR seems to be on some kind of spiritual retreat. He'll be back soon.

Shawn, Baja.net has a dedicated forum for al these types of questions; they've been asked and answered many times.

http://www.baja.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=97

(scroll down the list of threads to see your exact topic being discussed)

Here on TT are lots of people who have raced all of the Baja races, some for many years. Please take their responses as they come and (PLEASE) don't race a local event a few weeks before the Baja 1000.:thinking:

Shawn, don[t listen to Scotty. It is ok to race a few weeks before the 1k, just try not to crash. Just in case you are interested, it is only 320days till the the next one. Not that I am counting or anything.

Gary

biggest thing you will need is a sack full of cash:ride:

Use the sack full of cash to rent a bike/crew & there expertise. That'd be your best bet at finishing.

Make a plan to come and prerunn the 250, 500 or 1000 or all of them this year. Do that at least 1 or 2 weeks before the race. The race course gets worse as the racers use it. That will give you an idea of how it is. The course is marked you just need to plan for gas.

1.- don't run out of gas

2.- don't run out of agua(you need to learn what's agua)

3.- don't crash (new sections you ride them at slow speeds even if they look fast and riders are passing you)

1 & 2. Anyone can enter (except Trigger). I would recommend entering the Sportsman > 250 class. I believe the registration fee for Sportsman is around $1,000 (could be slightly more or less).

3. No sweeps (except locals that would love to take your stuff). SCORE is not responsible for getting you home. You really need chase trucks. Keep in mind, there's a good chance the 1000 will finish in Cabo/La Paz in 2010, which makes the race all the more logistically challenging and expensive.

In addition to chase trucks, you will need pit support. I would suggest Mag7 or Baja Pits (I've personally used Mag7 and they are great, but I know Baja Pits are great too). Pit support for a bike is usually around $500.

4. Keep reading this forum and Baja.net. Don't be afraid to ask questions and don't be afraid of the answers you get... many on here have a sick sense of humor and love to heckle newbie racers. Don't worry, it's your first right of passage.

Lastly, feel free to PM me or anyone else on here that seems willing and able to give you advice. Your best bet is to consult with someone offline or even try to hook up with a team in 2009 to prerun the 250, 500 or 1000 course.

Considering the amount of time and money needed to compete in the 1000, your first goal should be to finish and in order to finish there's a lot that needs to be planned well ahead of time.

Ron Bishop grilled the seven P's into my head: Prior Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance

There is a Rider of Record, and only one bike that has to finish with the same engine cases that it started with. You can have as many riders as you want.

Here are a few more links that have some information on racing that you might find helpful:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=579566&highlight=259x

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=726568&highlight=newbie

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=714184&highlight=race

I never thought to carry an inflatable splint pre-running until reading this.

Also, I'd recommend you head down and do a tour of baja with one of the motorcycle tour groups well in advance of the race. The tour groups allow you to see what the terrian/area is like and is a lot of fun. You just have to show up to ride. You can also ask questions about the race if you use a group that is run by a person that races in Baja. This is one way to help you plan better for what to do if you are going to race it with your own team (I'd still highly consider Mexihonkey's suggestion). Here's a link that shows some info on the tour groups: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=717914&highlight=tour

BajaBound at www.bajaboundmoto.com offers "learn to race Baja" tours that are focused on getting you acquainted with what you need to know to race in Baja. It isn't a how to ride fast class, it's all about the Baja race experience, from prerunning to tech inspection, to race support and the actual race.

They also offer race rental programs with full support. You can tailor the level of support based on your needs and/or your budget. If you don't want to solo they may also be able to match you up with other clients to form a team.:thinking:

This the kinder, gentler Baja forum. I think SNR should handle all these type threads.

Agreed- I´ll be back Fri. night... currently in Ciudad Constitucion, getting paid to ride to Cabo.

Dave- wish you were here...

They also offer race rental programs with full support. You can tailor the level of support based on your needs and/or your budget. If you don't want to solo they may also be able to match you up with other clients to form a team.:thinking:

Rob and Denise Barnum also offer Bike Prep, or support from Barnums Pro Products. If it helps... Rob isn't much of a TEAM kind of racer (it seems like he prefers solo) and has solo'd the SCORE races in the past. I believe he even won an iron man award for the B1000 (in '04)... riding it in 23hrs 14min. Let alone held the D37 #1 plate at one time....

He doesn't do tours, but would be the type of guy to help ya out... and get you completely steered in the right direction. Search Google on "barnums pro" and you'll get a lot of info. Or it would be best to simply call'em and talk directly to them. It's a husband/wife shop.... at their house kind of thing. Great people... and he knows his stuff.