Sign in to follow this  

650 go crunch.

2nd gear pulling maybe 30-40kph and CRRRUUUNCH.

Metallic fragments under the clutch side cover.

NSU is fine.

Clutch is fine.

Stuck in 2nd but freewheels.

A few days later about 450km into a 1000km ride a mates one did the same.

:thinking:

DAMN!!!

Very sorry to hear that. What's up with DR gearboxes blowing up, I have been hearing more of this in the last few months than in the 2 years before. What year was yours and how many miles on it?

I recently spoke to a German guy who has 100.000km on his now. Apparently 3rd gear has been whining for the last 30.000 but it hasn't given up yet. I am still hoping that my old '96 was made of better quality steel then they use nowadays, back then it only cost a fraction.

It's an '01 with about 60,000km on it.

3rd gear sometimes loses it's hardening and whines a bit but not on mine...

At least I get a chance to do the base gasket.

Its not isolated to just one gear, the 650 has extremely variable quality on the gear machining. Some parts look awful even when new, and others look perfect. I think they have been switching vendors. The machining quality on most of mine were unacceptable and a few were very good. Some of the gears were poorly hobbed with a very rough finish, while others had ground tooth profiles that were perfect.

Mine is a 96, I would hope its been sorted out by now???

At least I get a chance to do the base gasket.

well, that's looking on the bright side!

sorry to hear it, keep us posted.

The thing I love about the DR is the design works well for the most part, so hasn't needed to change since 1996. Just buy a dirt cheap early model and swap the engines

Thats my plan if mine ever grenades, piss easy job and best of all I keep all my mods and its just a simple & cheap swap job. Sell the other bits on ebay and you've come out doing well

Its not isolated to just one gear, the 650 has extremely variable quality on the gear machining. Some parts look awful even when new, and others look perfect. I think they have been switching vendors. The machining quality on most of mine were unacceptable and a few were very good. Some of the gears were poorly hobbed with a very rough finish, while others had ground tooth profiles that were perfect.

Mine is a 96, I would hope its been sorted out by now???

I've built tons of M/C trans over the last 30 years and I would have thought any roughness of the gear teeth would have caused an immediate problem if any at all. Usually rough finishes will slowly over time become smoother and that makes for a cooler running, quieter, and better shifting trans. I would have thought that shaft finishes and shifting dogs would be more critical than the teeth.

It would be interesting to find out what exactly failed. I have found gears to actually break in half, also a tooth to break off, then get caught between moving gears. Sometimes a small bit of metal will break off of something non critical and will get jambed between moving gears and cause the problem.

Good luck

Yuup...3rd gear went out on mine a couple months ago...still apart in my garage. When mine went it pounded the bottom of the rod a little, but I'm hoping it's still usable. Not exactly sure what the cause of mine was...:thinking:

And along with the base gasket this'll go on...

20090106-074126-000001.jpg

20090106-074206-000002.jpg

Good to see it turned up OK. Hope the gear bag problems are only minor. Are you going to replace the oil pump drive gear while you are in there?

Sorry to hear about ur bike Nordie,

did you have the "3rd gear whine"? or any other suspicious noises etc?

No whine (from the bike) at all.

I have found a several cm long crack in my Hindle mid-pipe at the front mount though...

Oh sorry to hear about another sad DR, RIP the seemingly more common gearbox failures was one of the reasons i bailed from my DR early,Loved the bike but did not need the grief the problem is not just isolated to TT as it appears in ADVRIDER as well.

Rick

Ouch those pics look familiar, mine was third gear and there wasn't any whine either. The case is the bitter part of it. The parts can be a pain to find but they are around, I just got the case, crank, and tranny guts from a 97 that was being parted out. Good luck

you guys are using the clutch when you shift,, right,,,,,,,,right,,,,,,,,right,,,,,right ????

been riding for 34 years, have never done the damage you guys r showing.

I definately think these problems are related to something else besides using the clutch.

I don't think not shifting with the clutch on a motorcycle is much of a problem.

you guys are using the clutch when you shift,, right,,,,,,,,right,,,,,,,,right,,,,,right ????

been riding for 34 years, have never done the damage you guys r showing.

Always use the clutch. Even when racing my XR250.

A few days later about 450km into a 1000km ride a mates one did the same.

how many kl m's on that other bike eh?

what camera are you using ?

how many kl m's on that other bike eh?

what camera are you using ?

Will find out what year and how many kms.

Olympus 1030SW - 10m waterproof, 2m shock resistant.

Most of my shots are while riding.

For stationary stuff I usually use a Canon 350D or 20D.