Sign in to follow this  

CRF250x Loss of Torque/Power

I have two 250X's and one seems to have almost twice the amount of torque. They are both stock but one has a lot more torque/power than the other. The one that has less power has been ridden a lot more than the other bike. I just need to know what area to look at to get it back to original power again.

Thanks for your help guys

I just got it back from the dealership and they checked the valves and stated they were in spec. Anything else it could be?

If the bike has been sitting for a couple months or so, try cleaning the carb. and doing all the free mods. Do a compression test next, it may be time to open it up for a new piston.

I would say piston and rings...for a third opinion. Valves would not even cross my mind, because every guy that has toasted their valves has stated that it ran fine right up until it would not start. Is the bike using oil? Other possibilities-Reduced air flow-filter dirty, spark arrestor screen clogged, exhaust sys damaged (crushed), carb jets plugged.

you need to check the valve clearance your self.....it is the only way you will know for sure. dealership???? whatever.....I never trust myn bike to anyone

check the valves, spark-plug and if none of those arent the answer, you could check the piston compression.

I would say piston and rings...for a third opinion. Valves would not even cross my mind, because every guy that has toasted their valves has stated that it ran fine right up until it would not start. Is the bike using oil? Other possibilities-Reduced air flow-filter dirty, spark arrestor screen clogged, exhaust sys damaged (crushed), carb jets plugged.

True. Once you get the bike started with the bad valves you really can't tell until you have to try and re-start the bike:bonk: I don't think the valves would be the problem either. Plus IMO, the stealership would be more interested in finding the valves out of spec.