Zeta hand guards: installation

Ok, I feel like an idiot just asking but, I just recieved my hand guards and i was installing them (very hard to do with absolutely no space around). Anyhow, after I was done, I realized that now had a ghetto cruise control. How did you zeta people install without having that problem? thanks

Ok, I feel like an idiot just asking but, I just recieved my hand guards and i was installing them (very hard to do with absolutely no space around). Anyhow, after I was done, I realized that now had a ghetto cruise control. How did you zeta people install without having that problem? thanks
WR5.jpg

Just like SheWolf said.

Funny you mentioned that because ALL of my MX bikea never had bark busters on them for that reason. My R2 is the first one, and to be honest with you, I don't get the hand claustraphobia I thought I would. I also don't seem to tag trees either, and the stuff I ride in can get pretty tight. The only trouble I had were with the shitty tires it came stock with. D606's fixed that though. ?

I've been riding trails for years & never had guards--(looks & confinement)...I was WRONG. Just put a pair of Zeta's on because of the lights...MAN, went riding with the kid & did not believe the difference it makes going through the desert brush. Now I laugh at my kid, because he can't keep up with me as I rip thru the brush. Handguards should be a stock on all dual sport bikes.

The only problem can be if you slipped off the grips allowing your forearms to get caught in the bark busters as you flip over the bars- ouch.

I had that happen on my ulysses only no bark busters, forearm went between bars and brake lever. Fortunately I had the lever perch just loose enough to move in a wreck.

I moved the lever and perch with my arm as I went over the bars, arm was sore for a week or two but not broken.

You can't have bark busters on an ATV that will be used in the Everglades either, they don't want you hurting nature. Bikes aren't allowed in the Glades at all, not even on private property.

3 wheels or more in the Glades and only allowed in certain areas.

I truly believe that if it were not for hunters using ATVs, they wouldn't be allowed out there either- hunters have good political organizations.

Even though the original question has already been answered, I thought I would post here since the Zeta handguard thread was already here. Hey! I'm cheap. Can't even afford a new thread! ?

Anyhow, I just got some Zetas today and they didn't come with any instructions at all! ***?? Does anyone have some pics of the bar end parts and how they are to be assembled? I can kind of figure it out but would like to know for sure which piece goes where before I crank down on something and break it.

There is nothing on the Zeta web site that tells you how to install them.

Crap, I didn't take pics of that when I installed mine. You should have two different sizes of collets that come with the bark-busters, a small diameter, and a large. Take both of those, and see which one fits the inside diameter of the bar end the closest. You will notice that both collets have 'slices' in them; this is so when you use tighten the one end of the bark-busters to the handlebar, the collet inside the handlebar will expand and tighten to the inside of it. The collet is also tapered; make sure that the tapered end is facing towards the outside of the bar end, not the inside. There will be two longer screws in the kit; these are for the handlebar ends so you have enough length to tighten down that collet inside the handlebar. Just make sure you use the collet that is filling the inside diameter of the handlebar the most...keep cranking on that screw, it will eventually tighten up. It does seem like you crank for a while, but the collet will expand inside the handlebar.

ZetaBarkbusters.jpg

Thank you kindly for taking the time to draw that picture. You're a regular Picaso. ?

But you forgot one piece. There is a male tapered nut that fits inside the female taper of the collet so when you tighten the screw it sucks up inside and that is what expands the collet and tightens it inside the bar. That much I figured out. What you told me that I didn't know was that there are two size collets in this kit, and I only need one size. When I ordered the Zetas they ask you for what size handlebar, and I said 1 1/8", so I just assumed there was two models of Zetas, one for 7/8" bars and one for 1 1/8" bars. Why the hell do they ask what size bars you have if they are going to send both size collets anyhow? ?

EDIT: One more quick question. What is the single large nylon washer for? The collets won't fit through the hole in the middle, so where does it go? I know it must be for the throttle side, but where exactly?

Thank you kindly for taking the time to draw that picture. You're a regular Picaso. ?

But you forgot one piece. There is a male tapered nut that fits inside the female taper of the collet so when you tighten the screw it sucks up inside and that is what expands the collet and tightens it inside the bar. That much I figured out. What you told me that I didn't know was that there are two size collets in this kit, and I only need one size. When I ordered the Zetas they ask you for what size handlebar, and I said 1 1/8", so I just assumed there was two models of Zetas, one for 7/8" bars and one for 1 1/8" bars. Why the hell do they ask what size bars you have if they are going to send both size collets anyhow? ?

EDIT: One more quick question. What is the single large nylon washer for? The collets won't fit through the hole in the middle, so where does it go? I know it must be for the throttle side, but where exactly?

The inside dia. of bars varies by material and manufacturer, they ask diameter when you order because that affects the size of the clamps towards the triple clamp.

Large washer is for in between the end of your throttle side grip and the bark buster so you dont end up with a "ghetto cruise control" like the OP.

The inside dia. of bars varies by material and manufacturer, they ask diameter when you order because that affects the size of the clamps towards the triple clamp.

Large washer is for in between the end of your throttle side grip and the bark buster so you dont end up with a "ghetto cruise control" like the OP.

Got it. Thanks for the info. I'll post up some pics of the new bars and guards when and if my bar clamps ever get here. ?