dislocated knee?

I already read all the threads that came up under this title, but I didn't find the information I was looking for.

Here's where I'm at: I don't know if I dislocated my knee or not:banghead: And if not, what happened and should I do anything about it.

A gust blew me off keel on a very small jump and I instinctively put out my right leg. It wasn't 180 straight as my asterisks won't allow for that. My forefoot touched down first then I heard my heel slap the ground. I felt no pop but I did feel the shock go directly up from my heel into my knee.

When I got back to the truck I couldn't put very much weight on it. After undressing I lay down with my foot elevated. As my foot rested on the ice chest, my knee began to relax and began to straighten. As it got closer to 180 degrees, it popped back in place. The sensation leading up to the popping back in place was greater tightness, then a sudden "ahhhhh . . . " release because everything was back in place. Within a few minutes I was able to do upside down bicycle motions, then stand and do single leg squats. At no time was my knee cap out of alignment to the naked eye.

Many hours that day, I was loading up a bike. I consciously stepped up with my uninjured leg (right) so I would be using the quads on that leg. As I did, my left knee popped out again. It didn't send me to the floor. It just hurt and wouldn't bear as much weight. After securing the bike. I sat down, straightened my leg and it popped back in.

Also, I'm in pretty good shape. I run regularly and an training for another marathon.

The day after there was slight swelling and a decreased range of motion because of it. It feels like a sprain.

Today (the day after) I'm wearing a donjoy soft brace. Keeping it elevated as much as I can. Icing 15 min every hour. I think I'll go for a bike ride.

What you had is likely a dislocated patella. A completely different and less dangerous situation than a tibio-femoral dislocation, commonly known as a knee dislocation.

We treat patella dislocations with rehab, and surgery if they become recurrent.

Sounds to me like an ACL rupture...he does say that the patella never appeared abnormal. I would have an MRI of the knee. Dr Mark, the mechanism doesnt seem to fit a patellar subluxation. Either way, I would have the joint looked at by an orthopedist.

The good orthopods that predate MRI...ie Mark Sanders...can diagnose an ACL/PCL tear with only a physical exam! ? But, nowadays most will not go into a joint without imaging verification! Just like the damn surgeons that I call to the ED for appendicitis! They want the damn CT.... ?

Dave, you and I both know that that neither the MRI, nor the CT scan will ever replace the clinician's brain.

Unfortunately, there are graduating young people from medical schools without brains. Old folks like you and I are in trouble when we reach AARP and Medicare age.

I was just an in patient a week ago and the young guns are relying completely on the technology rather than their clinical skills.

When I worked in the OR the surgeons would receive a call from the ED about a kid complaining of a gut ache. The surgeon would go to the ED and do an exam and look at the blood work. Then he would tell the parents that their little one had a hot appendix that needed to be removed.

The paperwork was done, the OR was readied and the procedure was done.

During my recent stay none of the "hospitalists" would come and talk to me until they had testing results in their hands. In the old days the docs would come in twice a day and talk to me and ask how I was doing and if anything had changed during the day. They would actually listen to me.

Didn't mean to gripe...

?

Granted...in the surgery texts, up to 20% of appendectomies preCT resulted in removing a normal appendix...regardless, appendicitis is a clinical diagnosis. And I agree...the physical exam is quickly going by the wayside.

Hey Mark, I am not as old school as you bud. I am only 38! ?