Apply grease to your air filter?

How does everyone apply grease to their air filter. i have an 07 yz450f

i tried last night lubbing up the filter then try and squeeze it in the air box. that didnt work out to well. then i cleaned up and applied the grease to the inside of the airbox around the beveled edge and that seemed to work ok.

any other suggestions??

In the first place, I don't grease the filter flange at all. The Maxima FFT oil I use seals perfectly well without any help.

Second, take the oiled element with the cage assembled into it, put the retaining screw in place, and put the whole thing into a plastic grocery bag, with the open end of the bag facing the air boot side of the filter. Wrap the bag around the filter well enough to keep it off everything, and everything off it, and slip it into place. Then, work the bag off and bolt it down.

I don't grease them either, no need to. When I used to ride Honda's years ago they had a rubber lip that sealed against the airbox (they are probably different now) and I used to use a paint brush to spread grease on that. But with the filters that are all foam, with foam sealing against the airbox the oil is enough.

I have that bike... And I do grease the lip, although I still am trying to talk myself into not putting it on. I assembly it with cage and bolt... make sure subrame and box are clean especially the upper tubes and rotate it some and it will go in. I just wear gloves and no big deal. The thing you have to be careful with is when you remove the filter lots of dirt will fall into boot that has stuck to grease on top edge. I spray a little bit of brake cleaner along top edge to remove some dirt and you must get all dirt from boot.

I always grease mine but have always thought it is a wank.

If you think about .... it the cage presses (squashes) the base of the filter against the airbox. How can dirt get through that if it's oiled like the rest of the filter and compressed?

?

Greg

How does everyone apply grease to their air filter. i have an 07 yz450f

i tried last night lubbing up the filter then try and squeeze it in the air box. that didnt work out to well. then i cleaned up and applied the grease to the inside of the airbox around the beveled edge and that seemed to work ok.

any other suggestions??

I always use Bel ray waterproofing grease around the lip of the filter. Once I have it in place I run my hand around the filter to make sure it's seated

In the first place, I don't grease the filter flange at all. The Maxima FFT oil I use seals perfectly well without any help.

Second, take the oiled element with the cage assembled into it, put the retaining screw in place, and put the whole thing into a plastic grocery bag, with the open end of the bag facing the air boot side of the filter. Wrap the bag around the filter well enough to keep it off everything, and everything off it, and slip it into place. Then, work the bag off and bolt it down.

?? Now I know how to use all the friggin grocery bags my GF left under the sink when she was living here.

I grease mine, I figure it can't hurt. The trick to getting the filter in without making a giant mess it to drop it in sideways (top of the filter facing one of the side panels) then rotate it the correct way once its down in there. Never thought of the grocery bag trick grayracer, good idea!

If you think about .... it the cage presses (squashes) the base of the filter against the airbox. How can dirt get through that if it's oiled like the rest of the filter and compressed?

It can't, although it doesn't completely crush the foam. Screw the cage on by itself, you'll see what I mean.

I ride mostly in the Imperial County desert, and the only way the dust could be any finer is for it become a gas, rather than a solid. It doesn't get past my air filters if they're changed out after every day's ride.

I have a pc racing gasket that sticks to the airbox rim and it works great, no grease, and have yet to have dirt in the intake boot. $15

+1 (or actually +2) I use them on our YZ's. They've been on there for years and work great! ?

Like others have posted, I use FFT which is almost as tacky as regular grease...lol.

It can't, although it doesn't completely crush the foam.

Gray,

If you think about it, it doesn't need to.

Even half compressed it is filtering (theoretically) twice as well as the rest of the filter. (The holes are half the size, sort of.)

I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

Greg