04 WR250F Too Wide?

I am thinking about getting a 2004 WR250F but after doing a little research it seems that one of the complaints against the older WRs is that they are too wide compared to the 05 and newer bikes. Any input?

BTW, I have not seen the 04 yet. I hope to see it this weekend.

I am basically a new rider. I had a few dirt bikes as a kid but that was a long time ago. My son has KTM 65s (03 & 08) and I am looking to hit the woods with him.

I'm also considering an 04 KTM 250 EXC.

my 03 wr has a 2.6 gallon tank and it's barely enough for an afternoon ride. a friend has an 05wr450 and it has a tiny tank, sure it "feels" slimmer, but it can't go anywhere other than laps around the gas can. everyone complained about "slimness" of the bikes so we ended up with tanks from the factory that are worthless. Notice all the aftermarket tanks available , and it's one of the first things everyone complains about after buying a new bike, they have no range! don't be too concerned about "slimness", it's way overrated! I even put on a 6.6 acerbis tank for my longer trips ...... and you're gonna love that happy button btw ......

I have an 04 WR250f and never noticed it being WIDE at the tank.

now a DR650 dual sport. Yea right when I slide on it, BAM wide knees.

and spidennis try shifting UP so you don't use so much gas. You must be in south texas or by abilene if your using all your gas.

I can get 50 plus miles EASLIY in East Texas Hare Scrambles.

I have an 04 WR250f and never noticed it being WIDE at the tank.

now a DR650 dual sport. Yea right when I slide on it, BAM wide knees.

and spidennis try shifting UP so you don't use so much gas. You must be in south texas or by abilene if your using all your gas.

I can get 50 plus miles EASLIY in East Texas Hare Scrambles.

when I go ride the beach, it's 33 miles directly to the port mansfield jetties, but I usually take the "scenic" route. the soft sand really drinks up the gas, and you have to keep it rev-ed up. I get about 74 miles to a tank this way (2.6 gallon tank), and I'm on fumes when I get home. I carry an msr fuel bottle always on these trips, if not for me, then for the 05wr450 that goes along most of the time. any more adventuring out there and I had better have my big tank on! but usually in the 2.5 hours and 74 miles it's time to be back anyway. the shiner bocks are calling !

It'll be just fine. ?

Yes, the newer frames are slimmer, but the 04 frame is a thin foundation to start with.

Good luck with the purchase.

Frames are exact same thickness on the 04 and 05, difference is narrower gas tank and less wide radiators (air scoops to match new thinner tank.)

Identical frames on both models ?

I just returned from a tight,rooty,mud lubed trail through the rain forest, on which my buddy road a 03,wr250f with out a complaint.And heck i mean tight.I ride 08,wr250f and i don't feel i had or ever have had a serious advantage over him.The wr's seem to be a great bush bike.Dont know anything about the KTM.Good luck!

last weekend I was at an enduro and there was some really tight tree/brush sections. people were getting all caught up in it and falling causing a traffic jam. I had no trouble in it. at the traffic jam I just bulled thru the trees and brush making my own path as a shortcut around the jammed up riders. I had to do this twice, and dusted lots of riders by doing this. My wr can get thru some really, really tight stuff! If I can get my handlebars thru the trees the rest of the bike will follow!

i had an 04 wr 250 and i thought it was to wide at the tank.i did not like it at all. i took the motor out of it and put it in an 06 alum framed yz 250f. the stock tank was an 1.8 gallon .it was a little small. put the tank off an 07 wr witch is 2.2. just right.

i had an 04 wr 250 and i thought it was to wide at the tank.i did not like it at all. i took the motor out of it and put it in an 06 alum framed yz 250f. the stock tank was an 1.8 gallon .it was a little small. put the tank off an 07 wr witch is 2.2. just right.

Forgive my newbie ignorance but which year engines will fit in an 06 yz250f frame?