Sign in to follow this  

Amateur trying to clean carbuerator

Like the title says I'm an amateur; both at riding or repairing bikes. I have a stock 2003 DRZ125L that has been stored for about a year. Unfortunately I stored it with fuel and oil still in it. Ive been told that I just need to clean it and get all the gummed up fuel out of it. Sounds easy, is it? Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Ok this carb may not be exactly the same as yours but it's what I had next to me and it's close enough. It's from an LT160. you have 3 areas that are probably gummed up .

photo #1 is your pilot jet your most likely culpret this will affect low speed just off idle . with this pluged it may start and idele and as soon as you touch the throttle it will die. take it out and clean it.

IMG_0012.jpg

Photo #2 is your main jet this sits lowest in the bowl and gets pluged with varnish if left for a long wile with out proper storage. if this is pluged it may start and idle and even take throttle up to about half throttle then it will run rough or die out.. Take it out and clean it.IMG_0013.jpg

Photo#3 is your needle and seat. if this is dirty and stuck open it will often leak fuel from the carb vent hoses as soon as the petcock is turned on. If it

is stuck closed the bike will not run at all . gently push out the round pin that the float pivots on and remove the floats then pull out the needle and unscrew the seat . clean them or replace them and put it back together.

IMG_0014.jpg

Now as far as cleaning the pilot and main don't bother unless your desperate. Now is the perfect time to re jet the carb since you have it apart any how. search this forum for the recommended jet size for your engine and go to your local dealer and get them.

For more exact photos and instructions be sure to check this thred .

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=688056&highlight=re+jet+stock+carb

• Like 2

Bruce, I really appreciate the lesson, especially the visuals. I plan on doing this tomorrow AM. I'll let you know how it goes. Once again, thanks.

Thanks for all the help. Got the carb cleaned and back together and it started on first kick. Left for the day, came back and all the fuel had drained onto my driveway. Is this because I bent the neck of the float assembly to adjust it to the proper height? I did this per the manual's instruction.

needle and seat might be dirty .you can take real fine sandpaper and tear off

a piece of it and roll it up.stick it in the seat and spin around to clean out the seat.another thing to check is turn carb upside down with float bowl off and hook up your gas tank.make sure when you turn the gas on the fuel doesn't leak until you move the float manualy.If it leaks you need a new needle and seat assembly.

Thanks for all the help. Got the carb cleaned and back together and it started on first kick. Left for the day, came back and all the fuel had drained onto my driveway. Is this because I bent the neck of the float assembly to adjust it to the proper height? I did this per the manual's instruction.

Very likely that you now have the float level wrong. Or as SMRMX14 stated the needle and seat may now be dirty. I'm more inclined to use a Q-tip with some carb cleaner in that hole and make sure to wipe the tip of the needle with some soft paper towel. Sand paper might be a little bit harsh.

With the carb up side down the plate on the float assembly should be approximately parallel with the float bowl flange when the needle seats. does that make sense ?

Try Toothpaste and use toothpicks to hold the float needle and lap it in like any other valve but slow and gentle, you just want to clean the surface not wear the rubber.

Try Toothpaste and use toothpicks to hold the float needle and lap it in like any other valve but slow and gentle, you just want to clean the surface not wear the rubber.

I tried this and it works very well thanks for that.