Any old/slow guys riding the WR450F?

I'm thinking of buying a new WR450F. I know the bike will rip but Idon't.

My little XR250 is 'bout 10 years old now. Runs great but I am sick of the kick and I would love to have enough power to lift the front wheel over obsticles at 15-20 MPH (not going to happen on the two fiddy). I don't want "explosive" power.

I have been riding for 35+ years but in general I am a pretty slow desert trail rider. I like single track when I can find it. Most of the time I'm in 3rd gear doing 'bout 20 mph through the whoops or so as I have been down, been broken and still hurt from those injuries and will till I die. Besides, once we start going much faster the women and children get left behind.

Occasionally I like to blast the sand washes and I will let her rip when the terrain is smooth. When it is rough or whooped out I have to keep my speed down as the 250 just won't lift the front wheel at speed.

I am a Honda fan but I really like the reliability of the WR and the little features like Pro-Taper bars, Excell rims, wide foot pegs, electroic odometer.

Anyway, any old and slow riders like me on the WR450? How is it working for you? Ever over heat? Ever feel too 'explosive"? Ever feel too heavy in the tight stuff? Ever sorry you did not go with the 250?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I am almost 51 and ride a '03 wr450 and like it. It can be damn fast if you need it and will go pretty slow if jetting is correct. Ride it without the free mods before changing the bike. It might be just what you want.

JJ

Well, I am almost 51 and ride a '03 wr450 and like it. It can be damn fast if you need it and will go pretty slow if jetting is correct. Ride it without the free mods before changing the bike. It might be just what you want.

JJ

I agree with this and the next post as well. My only note would be to ensure you jet it correctly, even if the exhaust is still plugged (Free - Drill the rivets out to uncork it a little). These things are so constipated from the dealer due to CA smog BS, they need a little bit of love to even breathe correctly. And change out the damn throttle stop screw, it's like $3.00.

Start there and make adjustments as necessary. It's a great bike. I'm 45 and have only been riding a couple of years. My first bike is a 1997 YZ250. Lots of fun but I wanted more power. I don't think you could go wrong buying the WR.?

trailhead

Yea, I figured if I bought one I would at least break it in completely stock and then sneak up on the mods from there. I have owned 25 + bikes over the years between me and the kids and rejetted most of them so I feel pretty comfortable doing the suggested mod myself.

I am 43 years old and 260 pounds of pure couch potatoe and the WR450 is the best bike I have ever ridden... GO GET ONE!!!

Are you my not so evil twin? same here, 42-years old 5' 8" tall, 250lbs and a 30" inseem. I fall over all the time. best bike pound for pound, if I could keep from falling over:banghead: I like the bike so much, I had to have two of them:thumbsup:

I feel if you ride it without the mods and a stock pipe the bike will be unbelievably slow and heavy

No matter you skill level,uncork it.It will be a different machine.

You need the power to move this Titan.

The faster I made my bike the lighter it felt.

I rode a 250F and hated it.Im old and Im slow too

I'm 39, 240 (and that sure as hell isn't from working out at the gym...)and a first year "newb" for all intensive purposes.

Got a 04 WR 450...free mods and I love the thing.

the power is there IF you want it, and I'm learning that a lot of the time the power can be a good thing and actually save your ass when you get in trouble.

I LOVE my WR 450 though!

I fun/trail ride ONLY, and I have the suspension set up very soft and comfy, and I like being on the ground, not in the air.

I had a chat today with a co-worker, as to why everyone is saying the uncorked WR 450 is wheely monster, and will pull power wheelies up into 4th, while mine will really never try pulling the front up much, it just spins, and throws roost like a monster, far as I can tell, it is most certainly not lacking power if the trench's and spray left by the back tire at speed is any indication.

According to him, (way more experience in such matters then me...)it's because my suspension is set soft....it squats under power, instead of pulling the front....

As I said.....I consider myself a newb in regards to such things....would like to know other folks opinions of that though

32yr old here. i agree with everyone else, you cant ask for a more stable yet flickable bike!! Like you started young(7yrs) and been a fan of the cr250 and the rm big thumpers(last restro. proj. was a rm360). Also have my own war wounds( bad wreck sending my leg through between chain and sprocket!!). Love my 04 wr450f a little niose from the cam chain but other then that mild when you want it and it will rip your arms out of socket when you need it to!!!

According to him, (way more experience in such matters then me...)it's because my suspension is set soft....it squats under power, instead of pulling the front....

In my experience, tightening up the suspension does make it easier to lift the front end. The bike tend to pivot more around the rear wheel.

That is part of my problem with the 250, I too like a soft suspension as I do not jump.

Suprise how? Suprise in the power or is the carb on the WR significantly more difficult to work on than any other carb?

I think he was implying that the carb is kinda hard to get to, especially on the aluminum framed models.

In my experience, tightening up the suspension does make it easier to lift the front end. The bike tend to pivot more around the rear wheel.

That is part of my problem with the 250, I too like a soft suspension as I do not jump.

Maybe that is why my bike is not a wheely monster. I like my soft suspension so I guess I have to work for wheelies. Probably a good thing too.

I'm thinking I would be very happy with a brand stinking new 09 WR450F.

My daughter has been begging me to take over my 250.

Talk about tempation.

I too think you would be very happy with a WR450.

Hey I'm 43 and hadn't ridden bikes for about 25 years. Bought a used 2004 WR 450 three years ago. What a fantastic machine.

I rode my nephew's 2007 CRF450X last summer. I didn't like it. And I used to be a Honda ONLY guy too.

I like the easy trails and some semi-wet dirt that I can roost all over my nephew.

Enjoy the ride.

I'm thinking I would be very happy with a brand stinking new 09 WR450F.

My daughter has been begging me to take over my 250.

Talk about tempation.

I don't think you would regret it...

As for the wheelie thing, your talking getting the front end "up and over" stuff on trails....no big issue there on mine....it cetainly gets the front light, and the front end will "pop" over things when I nail it..(sounds wierd, but, best discription I got..)

When I first got mine though, I was half scared to death, with mental images of the thing rearing skyward at 60 mph, a uncontrolable beast....lol

Not the case at all....GOBS of power, but managable power.....