Rampart Range Riding

Saw lots of dirtbikes in lots of trucks yesterday. Dillon, myself and 4 others rode in the Red Cone/Webster Pass area. There were quite a few people out but I'm not sure if the crowd was larger or smaller than normal. Fun/beautiful ride though, it was worth getting up at 5AM.

Merf

Rode Rampart yesterday. Amazingly, hardly anyone was there. We maybe saw 10 other riders on the trails. I know more were out there but we covered 50 miles and that is all we ran into. It was great. Really didn't have to worry about head ons. It was dry as usual. lots of dust and front end squirrly riding. I was hoping for some rain but it didn't happen. When it rains out there, it is like riding on a rail. Super tacky. I'm sure not everyone knew it was open. We were expecting a madhouse and it was hardly populated.

Originally posted by endozen:

Thanks Merf. No wonder you're still so dang fast at the races you still do, it's because you ride all the time!

? That plus the fact that I'm having fun again. I never really quit riding, I just quit going to all the races.

Dan, what condition is Cpt Jack in? I heard there's alot of washout damage on some of the side hill stuff.

Guess a majority of the riders(like myself)were too afraid of the crowds to go riding in the hills last weekend.

Can't make it this Thur Merf, girlfriend's son has a baseball game, tks for the invite. Do you typically ride Thursdays at Aztek?

Yea, that's the plan. We don't always make it but we try.

I'd like to hook up with you out there and take that punkin for a spin... ?

Merf

Merf,

We'll hook up and you can do the punkin spin to your hearts desire. Wouldn't mind riding the Yammie, the electric start WR450 has caught my imagination. Possibly tradin the punkin for an '04??

Merf,

We'll hook up and you can do the punkin spin to your hearts desire. Wouldn't mind riding the Yammie, the electric start WR450 has caught my imagination. Possibly tradin the punkin for an '04??

Sounds like a plan. I've had my boingers done by Jeff and so have you so I'd like to compare the difference.

Also, I rode Jary's 400 out at LC and it's very nice bike but it needed a little more punch for my tastes. Now that they're making it a 450, it might be worth taking a large look at. I still have a bad 92EXC taste in my mouth but....

Merf

Jeff actually did mine twice, the latest rework was early this summer. Increased the fork springs to 46s and went back to the PDS. The forks feel great to me now, not completely sold on the PDS vs straight rate shock spring.

I've ridden a 400 as well, felt the same way. It's important to me to have snap without having to deal with the clutch, especially coming around a corner and finding a rock or root in the way. Interested in the orange 450 as well, that might just be enough.

I remember your grief on the 250, wasn't alot of the problem ignition related?

I've ridden a 400 as well, felt the same way. It's important to me to have snap without having to deal with the clutch, especially coming around a corner and finding a rock or root in the way. Interested in the orange 450 as well, that might just be enough.

I remember your grief on the 250, wasn't alot of the problem ignition related?

I see we're on the same page. I love being able to bunny-hop the 426 over just about anything in the trail. I didn't think that snap was there on the 400, but it was a good strong runner. If you're able to carry lots of corner speed, I could see where it'd be a great bike. I heard that Rondo took Jary's bike around the test at Peetz and declared it a cheater-bike. Rex said he was turning faster test times on the 400 than on his 250.

Yea, my EX/C was a POS. Two stators, two axle hangers, a pipe, a piston-top end caused by the pipe, a seat cover and various other parts either broke or burned-out. I should be thankful though, it was that bike that got me started on Yamaha. ?

Merf

Did he feel it was a cheater bike because of the electric start? That was a dead engine start race-personally, I don't feel the electric start is an advantage for those races- seems to take a microsecond longer to fire up compared to a kick start that's performed perfectly. LC was dead engine start as well, what do you think about it? Or maybe he thought it was cheater because of the WFO on top of the plateau, I know I blurred the vision on that stretch, and I've only got an MXC.

I remember when going to Yam in '94 as well how much better the bike turned than the Katoom, curious if that's still the case.

Did he feel it was a cheater bike because of the electric start? That was a dead engine start race-personally, I don't feel the electric start is an advantage for those races- seems to take a microsecond longer to fire up compared to a kick start that's performed perfectly. LC was dead engine start as well, what do you think about it? Or maybe he thought it was cheater because of the WFO on top of the plateau, I know I blurred the vision on that stretch, and I've only got an MXC.

I remember when going to Yam in '94 as well how much better the bike turned than the Katoom, curious if that's still the case.

I got the impression that he felt it was a cheater bike due to the smooth power delivery. Ron carries some pretty major corner speed so I think it just fit his style and had more power than his two-fitty.

I agree with you about the 'lectric start and dead-engine starts. My 426 started perfectly, in every test, at LC. I was even starting it in gear with no problems. All it took was the microsecond to hit the starter and let the clutch fly. I don't think an electric would have been any easier.

I only rode the 400 around in the field but it turned MUCH better than my 92. I pulled the forks up 10mm trying to get my EX/C to turn and it just wouldn't turn for me. Maybe it was just me and I'm sure most of it was, but the 94 Yammie turned just fine so it wasn't all me. The weird thing about the Katoom was that with the forks up 10mm, it wouldn't turn, but it would dance around like Richard Simmons on meth. 35 mph in the sand at Buena Vista was a religious experience. I couldn't hold that thing in a straight line to save my soul.

I never could get my 300 to turn either, maybe it was weird frame geometry- the "euro feel" the magazines always used to talk about. Haven't had much problem getting the 520 to turn, even with the tubes at about 5mm. Don't know how much of cornering ease comes from engine braking effect, but it sure did take me a while to adapt to the cornering. Still feel I have more to learn on using that effect fully, but I'm really liking it(still have my '01 original rear brake pads, would have the front as well if not for the broken spoke at LC that lodged in my brake caliper!) Not sure if I'll ever go back to a smoker full time, stroker's seem to have some advantages, and the big disadvantage- the weight, is shrinking every year.

When did you do the qualifier? While I don't think the electric start is an advantage for dead engine starts, it has become essential to me for stalls. Totally sweet to be hanging off balance on the side of the trail, hit the button and take off.

• Like 1

When did you do the qualifier?

About 4 years ago, Rex, Stevens and I went to 2 of the qualifiers. We went to LA and Idaho. I wound up 5th Sr B for the year. We also went to Coalinga where I burned a check by 7 minutes. Doh! If I had enough vacation time, I'd do those again in a heartbeat. Great fun and way different from the RMEC.

but I'm really liking it(still have my '01 original rear brake pads, would have the front as well if not for the broken spoke at LC that lodged in my brake caliper!) Not sure if I'll ever go back to a smoker full time, stroker's seem to have some advantages, and the big disadvantage- the weight, is shrinking every year.

Yea, I'm with ya on that! I've never had as good as results as I'm getting on the 426. As far as going back to a smoker, I won't either. I will say though, that I'd *hate* my bike in eastern tight wood situations I think. I can't imagine racing the qualifier in Lousiana on the 426. I wanted to bury my 250 under a rock after a few of the tests. One section was about 7 miles long with trees about 35-40" apart. I killed the 250 almost an average of once every 1/2 mile. An electric start would have been a big advantage in that stuff!

Otherwise, I'm sticking with the 426. I like it, it likes me. ?