Sign in to follow this  

Removing the rear fender extension

Does anybody have any instruction/info/pics on how to remove the rear fender extension on a 2007 KLX250, still need to keep it street legal though,

Cheers,

Rutrider

You can buy kits online, or just kind of impro-fab it. I would just unscrew the entire section, and only worry, electrically, about the wires that connect to the lights illuminating the license plate (they're required in some states, if not all). From there you can use any number of ways to reattach the plate and lights for it.

So, it's simple, unscrew the extended fender piece, cut the wires that connect to the lights illuminating the plate. *NOTE* Makes sure you leave enough wire to splice in some new lights and label these (not that you can really go wrong here, but it's a good habit). Then get a kit or bend some brackets from your local hardware store to fit the license plate to the fender's predrilled holes. If you want to make new holes, go ahead, but I kind of like the stock look...and once you drill you can't go back.

Mine is the 2006, but its the same. Take off the inner fender extension and move everything up on the back of the fender using the Acerbis Dual Sport Tail Light. Here is a pic of mine. I also added back my stock blinkers after I realized that people just don't notice the smaller fender mounted lights I installed. So now I have 4 blinkers. :banana:

P2014346.jpg

P2014334.jpg

As you can see by the pic, the stock one is 10 times brighter. I would recommend anyone that has removed them to reconsider putting them back on. Safety over form. :lol:

Here is the Acerbis Tail Light and plate holder.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/9/195/7298/ITEM/Acerbis-Dual-Sport-Taillight.aspx

2007_Acerbis_Dual_Sport_Taillight_Black.jpg

I just riveted mine to the fender, and moved the plate right up under the light. Then you can cut off the inch or so of extra plastic hanging down.

Here's an older pic of the rear end before I put the stock turns back on. It really cleans things up.

Picture_0007.jpg

A few more

Picture_0009.jpg

Picture_0008.jpg

• Like 1

You can get a MX style rear fender from Maier and mount a Baja Designs LED tail/stop light under it , works great

DSC04728s.JPGDSC05037.JPG

52608klx300c.jpg

I had one on my old 98 300 and put a new one on my 2007 KLX300RS ( top two Pics)

• Like 1

Hey guys thanks for the Info,

I like the idea of the Acerbis light and plate mount. I checked out a sight and found it for about $40. I'd pay that to get rid of that ugly fender extension.

Thanks again,

Rutrider

The Rack will not go back on as my 14 yr old son uses this for off road. I plate the bike so that he can get ride on the paved roads in the state parks only when necesary. If I was going to ride it on the street often, I would use one of the many, low profile and easily adaptable blinker sets like the ones from DRC...I also have a DRZ400 which I ride and have used those blinkers with success.

If you go on utube I posted (2) movies during the modification. The first movie was about modifying the rear fender and sub-frame, 2nd was the tail light installation. Search "2007 Kawasaki KLX250s Rear Fender Mod" and "2007 Kawasaki KLX250s Tail Light Mod"

HI guys,

I finally ordered the ACERBIS tail light. I was then told that it needs a special bulb and the bulb was $13.00. This doesn't sound right.

What kind of bulb is everybody else using? Did your tail light come with a bulb?

Any help appreciated................!!!

Rutrider

HI guys,

I finally ordered the ACERBIS tail light. I was then told that it needs a special bulb and the bulb was $13.00. This doesn't sound right.

What kind of bulb is everybody else using? Did your tail light come with a bulb?

Any help appreciated................!!!

Rutrider

Are you talking about the Dual Sport Acerbis light like on my bike above? Its a standard 1157 bulb. :)

Hey Deej,

yup thats the light I'm talking about.

The light here in Canada is $49 bucks. The bulb price quoted would be almost 25% the cost of the light.

Thanks for your feed back I'll check out the bulb you recomennded.

Cheers,

Rutrider

Hey Deej,

yup thats the light I'm talking about.

The light here in Canada is $49 bucks. The bulb price quoted would be almost 25% the cost of the light.

Thanks for your feed back I'll check out the bulb you recomennded.

Cheers,

Rutrider

Keep in mind that if you do a lot of off road/gravel roads and trails that for some reason you tend to go through bulbs, not sure why. I ended up bending the tabs in the socket so they made a stronger spring contact. I always carry a couple of spares. When I first put on the light it seems I was loosing a bulb, not the whole thing usually the brake filament quite often say every 500 miles. But I haven't had a bulb go in like 3000 miles. Just keep a spare with ya. :)

The light tucks right up under the rack, and in fact the rack protects it pretty well. I riveted mine to the fender, and cut the excess off the sides and the lower back end. That way you don't have any black plastic hanging down. It looks like the plate is hanging on nothing from the back. Good luck and feel free to send me a pm if you need more pics or help. Later.

Mine is the 2006, but its the same. Take off the inner fender extension and move everything up on the back of the fender using the Acerbis Dual Sport Tail Light. Here is a pic of mine. I also added back my stock blinkers after I realized that people just don't notice the smaller fender mounted lights I installed. So now I have 4 blinkers. :banghead:

P2014346.jpg

P2014334.jpg

As you can see by the pic, the stock one is 10 times brighter. I would recommend anyone that has removed them to reconsider putting them back on. Safety over form. :banghead:

Here is the Acerbis Tail Light and plate holder.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/9/195/7298/ITEM/Acerbis-Dual-Sport-Taillight.aspx

2007_Acerbis_Dual_Sport_Taillight_Black.jpg

I just riveted mine to the fender, and moved the plate right up under the light. Then you can cut off the inch or so of extra plastic hanging down.

Here's an older pic of the rear end before I put the stock turns back on. It really cleans things up.

Picture_0007.jpg

A few more

Picture_0009.jpg

Picture_0008.jpg

How does all that fit up under the rack? Did you have to modify it at all? Also, was the wiring difficult, because I don't know crap about wiring :)

I ride a 06 KLX250s.

I just removed the big black plastic mount(4 bolts under fender) and remounted the steel licence plate bracket to the top of the fender just under the brake light.

Looks factory without the funky hunk of plastic hanging off the back of the bike.