Sign in to follow this  

HP Tuners

Does Anyone on here have any experience with HP Tuners? or know where to find pre made tunes for vehicles. My Friend just bought the HP Tuner pack and i wanted to get a custom tune done for my truck (01 1500HD 6.0L) And we're looking for a good starting point (better MPG and more HP) Any Ideas?

Does Anyone on here have any experience with HP Tuners? or know where to find pre made tunes for vehicles. My Friend just bought the HP Tuner pack and i wanted to get a custom tune done for my truck (01 1500HD 6.0L) And we're looking for a good starting point (better MPG and more HP) Any Ideas?

get a real custom tune. look around for performance tuners in your area. or go to this website. This guy does VERY good stuff.

www.blackbearperformance.com

a true custom tune is 110% better than any of that superchips crap.

get a real custom tune. look around for performance tuners in your area. or go to this website. This guy does VERY good stuff.

www.blackbearperformance.com

a true custom tune is 110% better than any of that superchips crap.

This is nowhere near as lame as superchips, Hypertech, etc... it's 100% customizable. like BlackBear, he uses EFI Live, a program almost identical to HP Tuners. I'm just looking for a baseline to work off of for my truck, so me and my friend can tweak it for max hp and mpg. I've considered Blackbear before because i heard he does great work. This would be cheaper because he already bought the HP Tuner for his G8 GT. I just have to pay $100 for a copyright for my trucks VIN.

http://www.hptuners.com/

I have a downloader for my cummins. I like it a lot it boosted my MPGS by 2 and got 100 extra hp. But thats for a direct injection turbo diesel I dont know about gasoline.

not gonna see those numbers out of a gas job in a million years .

I think the max claimed gain for gas is around like 1-2 mpg better and maybe like 35hp.

Tell him to go to hptuners website and log into his account. They have a repository on there that will probably have a few dozens tunes uploaded for your truck. Be sure he logs the truck after flashing the new calibration. Personally I would not recommend letting him calibrate it until he has some experience with the program. There is a pretty steep learning curve to it, and a few wrong inputs could result in a blown engine or tranny pretty quickly.

He has checked the Website, and there is nothing for my truck. Do you know of anywhere else that has tunes? He will be learning the program first on his old sunfire (turd) then to his G8 GT, then he would do it for my truck

Try a few different years like 02, 03, 04 etc. They did not change the 6.0, or the ecu through those years. However, personally I would never load someone elses calibration. Just use them to compare. You are going to get the most change out of that truck by calibrating shift points, and removing torque management. There is not much power to be had in the fueling and timing maps.

• Like 1

Try a few different years like 02, 03, 04 etc. They did not change the 6.0, or the ecu through those years. However, personally I would never load someone elses calibration. Just use them to compare. You are going to get the most change out of that truck by calibrating shift points, and removing torque management. There is not much power to be had in the fueling and timing maps.

OK, thanks.

Talk to Mike at 5StarTuning and tell him an FTE Member sent ya. He can hook you up with a great deal on an SCT tuner, and will custom make 3 different levels of tuning each catered to your specifications. You specify your engine, any modifications, what octane fuel you plan to run, desired transmission shift changes, calibration of speedo for larger tires, etc. Then he will create 3 levels of tuning based on what you requested.

I think the max claimed gain for gas is around like 1-2 mpg better and maybe like 35hp.

I have a '99 Merc Mountaineer with the 5.0 v8. I purchased an SCT programmer and 3 custom tunes from Bamachips and my results are almost an exact reflection of your statement.

Prior to that, I installed headers, K&N filter, and improved the entire exhaust system with little to no noticeable improvement. The real improvement came after the computer tune.

I average about 1mpg better in town and 2mpg better on the highway. The power was noticeably improved. I pull a loaded Flagstaff tent trailer and average 15-16mpg when towing.

I have no idea how much potential there is when tuning the GM 6.0, though.