Sign in to follow this  

Supercross Another DNF for Bubba?

Who thinks that Bubba might have another dnf this year? The reason I'm mentioning this is that in the past Bubba has not usually settled for second place. Even when it was in his best interest to do so. And now that Reed has the points lead, Bubba is not in the position to settle for a second place finish. If you combine that with the fact that his bike does not seem to be as dialed as Reeds. It seems to me that Reed is in the position to pressure Bubba into a mistake.

Any thoughts?:banana:

More than likely, he has to make up points and if Reed gets a good start and ahead of James or passes James, then James might start pushing the limits. Not a good senario on the turd he is on.

Not out of the question thats for sure. The way he seems to be riding a bull, if he has to push hard I can see him taking a hard fall. It always seems like when JS goes down he goes down with authority!

Its too soon to worry about that kind of stuff. If the past three weeks are any indication, then Chad has his own things to worry about. He needs a win very, very badly. He has two loses and was losing the first race when James when down.

If James wins again in Houston, then we will have to start questioning what is wrong with Chad Reed. He needs to rack up a few wins before James gets his bike sorted out.

Besides, Chad pretty much has to only deal with Windham last year and he had a hard time making it through the season himself. He always seems to suffer some sort of midseason practice injury.

Well, hopefully James will get that ride figured out. Chad definitely has the zook dialed in. IMO, it has made for some pretty exciting races so far. Either one could dnf.

Who thinks that Bubba might have another dnf this year?
You could be onto something. Chad (and his team) will no doubt grind it out.
Its too soon to worry about that kind of stuff. If the past three weeks are any indication, then Chad has his own things to worry about. He needs a win very, very badly.
Actually Chad doesn't need a win badly at all. No kidding. And I'm sure that Goose, DeCoster and RC will remind Chad of that if Chad needs reminding at all. Spectators or rider egos might pseudo score on main event wins, but it's overall points that wins in the end. Chad just has to keep applying pressure, or more specifically he has to keep pressuring himself - which aint hard for someone like him. James has in the past given the impression that he is less than satisfied unless he is dominating. James seems to be maturing, but how soon can he change? Such a great series in 09.
Besides, Chad pretty much has to only deal with Windham last year and he had a hard time making it through the season himself. He always seems to suffer some sort of midseason practice injury.
Windham (we all love him) caught up to Chad overall in 09 because of Chad's mechanical DNF in the mud (last lap huge lead remember), and Chad only got injured because of the YZ throttle bog issue. That bog issue obviously aint going to bite Chad in 09.

Sorry but CR was scored a 7th for Daytona not a DNF last year due to his lead and proximity to the checkered flag. And that wasn't his worst result last year which was 12th in Detroit and another 7th in Minneapolis.

Yes we all like KW, but the fact of the matter is KW & CR pushed each other all the way to Seattle, which was one of KW's many wins straight up over CR. Problem is for us KW fans, Reed had many more wins than poor results.

CR's problems last year were his wrecks and wreck related related injuries. Results and summaries for '08 can be found here.

http://www.supercross.com/race-results/ama-supercross

Having said all that, I am very impressed with Reed this year in both his speed and attitude. He looks more content as a person and smoother on the track than I believe I have ever seen him. RDecoster, the GOAT, Goose, and Zook seem to be serving him well. Reed has actually won me over for this year. His wreck to 2nd place ride last week was one of the best rides I think I've ever seen.

BUT, let's not revise history and belittle the solid numbers that the KW had last year by saying Reed had a DNF at Daytona. Reed only had 13 points on KW going into Seattle, traded wins there and Vegas to beat KW by 13.:banana:

I do however agree that saying CR needs a win soon is incorrect. Chad just needs to keep putting together solid rides and work on getting out of the gate a little better. It is way too long of a season to start feeling desperate for a win while you have the points lead.

Chad cracked under the pressure last year towards the end of the season, when a title was his to lose. He pulled it out, but not until the end. If James keeps winning like he has been, I would bet that Chad cracks before James does if Chad doesn't win a race soon.

The other thing which cracked was his shoulder blade in the middle of the series. Same bone that attaches his arm to his spine. Same bone that he broke in the past. Maybe mid series frustrations boiled over into end of series mental mistakes, but he somehow finished the series and won.

Chad cracked under the pressure last year towards the end of the season, when a title was his to lose. He pulled it out, but not until the end. If James keeps winning like he has been, I would bet that Chad cracks before James does if Chad doesn't win a race soon.

CR seems to have a completely different attitude this yr, seems to be having alot of fun, not pissing and moaning about this and that. Maybe Roger Decoster and Suzuki was a good move for him.

I don't think they give enough points for wins. They should give a point for fastest qualifier, max laps lead and wins. Didn't someone win the 125 East a few years ago with no wins? It might have been Ferry.

Craigus

CR seems to have a completely different attitude this yr, seems to be having alot of fun, not pissing and moaning about this and that. Maybe Roger Decoster and Suzuki was a good move for him.

Definately, he has a good attitude this year. I hope it stay's that way, I like this Chad Reed. I'm just waiting to see if the old Chad comes out if he keeps being the fastest guy on the track that can't finish better than 2nd. I hope he doesn't, but I see that happening before a Stewart crack.

I said, it once, now I'll say it again.

CHAD NEEDS A WIN VERY BADLY!

He lost again despite his superior hardware, championship level team and mentoring from the GOAT. I don't think he can count on stewart cracking under the pressure. Its been a couple of years since that's happened.

If he is going to win the title, he needs to finish ahead of JS, plain and simple. There are still 13 weeks left and his advantage is only 9 points. James is a monster and Reed needs to do better.

I really like Reed and want to see these two guys duke it out. I want some competitive racing.

Well Maurice, agree to disagree?

I think the worst thing for Reed to do is get all worried and stressed over a win at this point resulting in a meltdown. I realize that his points lead probably won't even last 'till mid Febuary at this rate, but the WORST thing Reed could do at this point is take himself out by riding beyond his skill level b/c Bubba will not give back the points as easily Reed has.

A 25 point point shift to Bubba in a single round would, IMO, end Reed's title chase. I think it could crush him mentally. Where Bubba can and is overcoming that especially now that he iis looking more comfortable on his bike. Hence, my argument that his focus needs to be getting better starts and putting in solid rides, meaning no less that 3rd. A win this weekend or the next would boost Reed's ego considerably but I didn't agree with Emig that said Houston was "a must win," for Reed.

Bubba is the fastest guy on the track right now no doubt, but Bubba is not perfect and Reed needs to hang in there close enough in the points to be able to capitalize on a mistake, if and when JBS commits another.

Also, Reed hasn't pushed Bubba head to head since A1 and when Bubba gets out front like that you might as well turn the TV off. If Reed can hang in close in the points and put together several rides where he is on Bubba's rear wheel, I believe he has a legit shot of picking up some points. I would bet money his team is telling him the same.

Bubba is still prone to make a mistake, see A1. Skewer me if you want, but I think Bubba still gets a little too excited when he is pushed for multiple laps at a time which can affect his judgement in a negative way. I think that Reed is going to have to exploit that possibility if he really wants to give Bubba a run for the title.

This year I really like both riders and all in all I just hope it isn't over early.

I think the worst thing for Reed to do is get all worried and stressed over a win at this point resulting in a meltdown. I realize that his points lead probably won't even last 'till mid Febuary at this rate, but the WORST thing Reed could do at this point is take himself out by riding beyond his skill level b/c Bubba will not give back the points as easily Reed has.

A 25 point point shift to Bubba in a single round would, IMO, end Reed's title chase. I think it could crush him mentally. Where Bubba can and is overcoming that especially now that he iis looking more comfortable on his bike. Hence, my argument that his focus needs to be getting better starts and putting in solid rides, meaning no less that 3rd. A win this weekend or the next would boost Reed's ego considerably but I didn't agree with Emig that said Houston was "a must win," for Reed.

Bubba is the fastest guy on the track right now no doubt, but Bubba is not perfect and Reed needs to hang in there close enough in the points to be able to capitalize on a mistake, if and when JBS commits another.

Also, Reed hasn't pushed Bubba head to head since A1 and when Bubba gets out front like that you might as well turn the TV off. If Reed can hang in close in the points and put together several rides where he is on Bubba's rear wheel, I believe he has a legit shot of picking up some points. I would bet money his team is telling him the same.

Bubba is still prone to make a mistake, see A1. Skewer me if you want, but I think Bubba still gets a little too excited when he is pushed for multiple laps at a time which can affect his judgement in a negative way. I think that Reed is going to have to exploit that possibility if he really wants to give Bubba a run for the title.

This year I really like both riders and all in all I just hope it isn't over early.

Yes, but the thread title is another DNF for Bubba. After 3 wins in a row, I see Chad cracking before Bubba does. It has to be getting close for Chad, when you've been that good and nothing but 2nd's to show for it he has to be feeling some pressure. Bubba has 3 in a row on a bike that has not been as good, his confidence has to be sky high right now.

OK.. I agree to disagree.

I hope that Chad's strategy isn't to wait for James to make a mistake. He just doesn't do that anymore. Yes, it did happen in A1, but every rider makes a mistake every now and then. Two years ago, CR was not able to pressure James into blowing his SX title run. There's no reason to think that he could all of a sudden pressure him into crashing himself out of the race.

Chad, on the other hand, ran pretty much unopposed last year, except for those two factory Honda lappers that everyone is sentimentally attached to. It took the last two weeks of the season for Chad to secure his championship.

If Chad wants the championship, he needs to win races. Hell, he even needs to be competitive in races. Fact is... he does not have one win this year. No way you even come close to winning a title of JS without winning some events.

He needs to win and continue to win to keep himself convince that he can do it.

Three weeks until James is the points leader.

Reed has actually won me over for this year. His wreck to 2nd place ride last week was one of the best rides I think I've ever seen.

What happened to the Ricky Carmichael Hard Charger Award? Reed would have won it with that race.

Having said that, I really want to see CR beat JS.