Sign in to follow this  

Handguards and broken wrists....is this an urban myth?

Hey Guys,

Today I just finished fitting Zeta handguards (alumunium wraparound bar type) to my WR250R cos I liked the integral flasher.

Just as I was finishing up a buddy called me and started freaking me out with stories of wrists getting trapped and broken.

I've heard this somewhere else before.....should I start worrying??

I mostly do trail type riding and quiet back roads. He uses Acerbis rally guards because they deform apparently?

Really need some views on this, thanks all :banana:

I've never known of anyone who has been injured by "bark busters", and everyone who rides the woods here in Washington uses one style or another; I suspect someone who had never tried them looked at them and got all sweaty........

• Like 1

I've never known of anyone who has been injured by "bark busters", and everyone who rides the woods here in Washington uses one style or another; I suspect someone who had never tried them looked at them and got all sweaty........

i agree 100% with this statement, talk is cheap, i have never had my wrist caught in a hand guard.

i agree 100% with this statement, talk is cheap, i have never had my wrist caught in a hand guard.

I had a spill a few months ago where I ended up on the ground with the bike on top of me. I did not have hand guards on it at the time (except the flimsy stock ones) and the throttle side of the bars buried themselves in the dirt, trapping my wrist between the throttle and the front brake lever. I now have Cycra CRM Pro Bends on my list of winter projects. :banana:

I met a guy that got his finger cut off by a brake rotor, so maybe the anti bark buster guys should also retrofit drums on their bikes as well.:banana: Or just stay on the couch and play video games? Also heard of people surviving auto crashes because they weren't wearing seat belts on rare occasions, but statistically it doesn't justify not wearing one.

I laugh when my "motocross" oriented riding buddies break levers when they drop their bikes. I think if a signifigant number of wrists were broken by bark busters they'd be off the market because of law suits, yeah it seems to be an urban myth. When I broke my wrist a few years ago it was due to a high speed impact with the ground. I think the key to not getting hurt is not to crash, but how much fun would that be?

The advantages of bark busters in the woods outweigh the odds of breaking wrists. Having said that my friend broke his hand by getting tangled in the bark busters. He still uses them, even after his incident. I think in the long run more bones have been saved in the woods by using barkbusters than the other way around. Just my 2 cents worth.:banana:

• Like 1

I'd bet it happened to the other idiot that rest their wrist on the handlebar with the hand in front of the brake lever. I do that on long rides, and could easily see someone breaking their wrist due to the positioning. However, I wrecked the shizer outa my DR and if hadn't been for the cycras I would have destroyed the controls. I'll keep the handguards and risk a broken wrist.:banana:

I didn't break anything... but years ago,I had a getoff where I ended up with my arm wedged in pretty good.... I wouldn't have any idea on the math odds of doing it again.... but I can verify it's possible..

I put a pretty good slice on the top of my wrist with the plastic edge of a Cycra deflector. Tend to hold on and ride 'em out. Bruise hurt worse than the cut. Little damage really for a 35+ mph endo. Made me wonder about the broken wrist scenerio.

Hey Guys,

Just as I was finishing up a buddy called me and started freaking me out with stories of wrists getting trapped and broken.

I've heard this somewhere else before.....should I start worrying??

I mostly do trail type riding and quiet back roads. He uses Acerbis rally guards because they deform apparently?

Really need some views on this, thanks all :banana:

Anything is possible.

Having said that Im taking my YZ out for its first ride tomorrow and its already got a set of Acerbis Rally Pros on it. There is a whole lot of trees and rocks to bounce off of up here.:lol:

I went down on the clutch side of my WRR - without handguards

and crushed two fingers in between my clutch lever and the ground.

After putting a set of the Zetas on and having done many, many more

laydowns since, you just pick the bike up and ride off. If you're going

over the bars, that's another story and hopefully one you don't make

a habit of it.:lol::banana:

A good 280+ lbs of bike on top of your hand hurts.

They'll break your wrists just like helmets will break your neck. NOT.

I'd say quit worrying about it if you ride trees. Gottta have 'em. Even with them a have regular knuckle hits. I've got a two week old hole in the knuckle on my left hand. Had a rash of them lately. Winter is always worse because there is less leafs on the limbs now. They cushion the blow and tend to make you go around more because it looks bigger. Some gloves are much better than others but i tend to grab any clearanced pair that fits good.

I recommend, and use, hand guards.

However, at the Shenandoah 500 (2 years ago, I think), the tip of a rider's finger was cut off, said digit between bark buster and rock in a crash.

The safety and protective aspects of hand guards, to me, outweigh the probability of this type of accident trauma; itself in the category of seatbelt- and air bag-induced accidental injuries. YMMV!

If you have them mounted in an upward position and you go over the bars, maybe. You can break without also. Tell your buddy to STHU and ride rather than bitch.:banana:

• Like 1

Even if there is some chance of an injury from them, to me it is about finishing the ride with a clutch and front brake lever. My huge endo at the Shenandoah 500 resulted in zero damage to the clutch lever. The screws holding the plastic on the Cycras were sheared off, the bar end part was almost torn off and the aluminum bar bent back into the clutch perch. But my clutch lever survived undamaged.