I just put a 650 rear shock in my 600.

And while it was a tight fit I have say that it was a successful swap. I had been riding with a flattened Cadillac ass for too long and decided that upgrading to a newer - in this case a 2003 model - rear shock would be about the same price as having the old one rebuilt. Plus, it eliminated the remote reservoir and gave me a much fatter spring. I paid $130 w/shipping

longtrials-14.jpg

We took it on a test run through the redwoods to the Pacific coast and while it definitely needs adjustment for offroad riding, I really like how solid the bike feels now. A bit TOO solid? but that's to be expected without adjusting for the difference in weight compared to my bike. I weigh a buck sixty so.. :banana:

coast1of1.jpg

If anyone has suggestions about what to do with my wasted white plastics - besides replacing them - I'd love to hear it. I cant decide if I want them black or white.

• Like 1

Nice work on the shock! :banana:

Does your bike has the single carb setup? I'd like to do the same swap but mine has dual carbs and I might have a problem with the left rubber carb intake.

If you want to paint it, I'd recommend prepping the surface by wet sanding it using 600 grit. If you really want to get picky about it, use a couple coats of sand-able primer (to fill in low spots) then just use a scotch brite pad to sand it to a uniform dull finish. The result will be as good as you can get.

I also have a 650L shock on my 600r and it feels great. Did you happen to measure the the length of the shock from eye to eye? Someone mentioned the 650L shock is a tad shorter, about a half inch, but I don't remember ssing a difference and I already sold my old shock.

Thanks akarob, I love budget fixes like this. I have a single carb and don't know much about the dual carb setups so can't advise you about that but I can tell you that clearance is tight. Does the '86 have the remote shock reservoir? Because that is exactly where the attached canister landed. It took some weaseling and at one point I thought it was going to require some airbox mods but in the end - after much fiddling w/orientation - it worked out.? I'm going to try priming and painting the side panels but man, they are HAMMERED. Someone sanded them with a 10 grit desert wash.?

asf, I didn't physically measure the two shocks but with my eye they looked - and still do in the pictures - to be dead on. I still have the old shock if anyone wants me to pull a measurement from it for a 650L comparison. And wait a minute, someone would actually BUY this old shock ???:banana:

Well mine was revalved and resprung...but you'd be surprised, your crap someone's treasure.

I love to tinker and I bought one just to see if it would work. I like the way the L shock feels on the R but I also have USD's and ride supermoto.

I said the same thing about them looking identical but someone pulled some specs from an aftermarket catalog and came up with a half inch shorter for the L

I actually have both bikes in my garage so I'm gonna try it. And yes - remote reservoir. It is the carb intake that I'm worried about.

As a test, I'll remove a brand new '08 shock from the L and see if I can fit it into the XR600R. It would be worth some effort if I could squeese it in there. :banana:

Nice~

I ran into access issues for the lower bolt when the tire was jacked up against the rear fender fyi. I had to lower and raise the swingarm a few times and tighten the lower bolt with a wrench bit by bit. Let us know how it goes ~!

asf, I knew I recognized your handle. Your experience gave me the confidence to actually purchase the shock :banana: Thanks for the headsup dog!

• Like 1

No worries. Surprising how so many XR600's have gotten modified and little of this info circulates. The L swingarm also bolts up and again I forgot to measure them but my chain setting was identical. The only difference I saw was two tabs for the upper chain guard, which most people take off anyways. If you are looking for a next project adding a disk rear helps a ton, and any later XR600 or 650L rear wheel should fit, at least ones from the 90's. Dont think they switched axles later either...

More pics, 89 with an L shock and swingarm:

dsc00871ti4.th.jpg dsc00848ed9.th.jpg

Scotty if you post up the XR600 shock measurement, I am sure someone will come along and post up the 650L eventually

It was a little bit of trial and error. Buy the parts first, then weld the bracket for the pedal. Then I would bolt everything up and then weld on your bracket for the tabs. You'll have to physically have the pedal to determine the measurement of the sleeve too. I cut mine a little short to put a washer on the backside to ensure the cotter pin stayed in.

Here are pics.

img0771mediumdl5.jpg

img0817mediummw7.jpg

The plastics look great after you stick a layer of "number plate backing" on them... comes 8x12" thick vynil "sticker" in lots of colors.

I had a 85 (?) XR250, and the school-bus yellow side covers made me puke.

4 sheets of white sticker was.... $9 ? (years ago)

OH, what a differance.

If you are really careful, you can do them without any wrinkles, and save the $$$ for a new seat cover !!!:banana: