Utah D/S Inpections - Passed, just barely

Again, I know it's a yellow bike, but I wanted to finish the thread I started a few days ago.

Thought I post the results of my trip to the local Big-O tires yesterday. My DRZe was titled previously in Oregon as a street bike, but it was full-dirt when it came to me. The title looks clean though, so it is not just a MSO.

The Big-O guy looked at my bike and immediately commented on the lack of signals. I explained the "rules" in Utah and told him honestly that it was a technicallity that it did not orgianally come with signals so it did not need to have signals now. He commented something about these converted dirt bikes being very dangerous and not completely legal. He was never completely convinced, but seemed to just shrug his shoulders and go on. For reference, he never checked the tires, nor was he concerend that the horn wasn;t very loud. I got the feeling that they are more concerend about the bikes looking street legal as opposed to being street legal. At least that's what I've found in the past.

For what it's worth I have some signals from past bikes that I was going to put on temporarily if it became a problem. I guess I don't need to worry about it again until next year!

Very dangerous as opposed to what...? A custom chopper..? A 200mph crotch rocket..? Sounds like he just didn't like bikes.

Just curious, does the Title for your bike have the original frame number on it? You know, the one with "3" or "C" in the eighth position? When Iowa (used to) Title these bikes for street, they designated them as "Reconstructed" and issued (and actually applied to the frame) a whole new VIN.

Now some administrator is retroactively trying to apply the former "donor" frame number to these legally reconstructed bikes and have seized all the Titles and plates... except mine. I refuse to surrender them. That bike had a valid Title when I purchased it, and I placed $5,500 worth of unquestioned faith in that document issued by the state. A Title is a valuable and negotiable asset and I am fighting bitterly for mine. I will not subsidize bureaucratic incompetence twice.

I still have my Title and current plate, and I am now seeking Legislative action to keep them. If all else fails, I need to find a state that will issue a title that does not use Yamaha's frame number (or find a Canadian frame). I could then transfer that Title without Iowa's "great computer" flagging the number.

Another legal option is to find a junk bike with a valid (street) Title, and integrate the portion of the frame with the frame number into my new "homemade" frame. It is all B.S., but I will never let the bureau-rats win. I will use their own rules against them.

(These options, incidently, were suggested to me by the DOT's own Supervisor of Vehicle Enforcement, who agrees with my legal and moral position, and has refused to send his armed officers to physically confiscate my legal property until this matter is resolved. I had received a letter from the State threatening to do this if I did not "surrender"...) :D

As I said, there are legal "loopholes" around Iowa's action, but I want to force the State to reinstate everyone's Title and to ensure the future liberty of all Iowans to build their own vehicle. My local Yammie dealer just called this week to let me know that the first WR450 was on his floor and I have first shot at it... No good to me until this matter is resolved... :)

Good stories. Are we really touring the country with these or are we using them to connect good dirt trails???

Very dangerous??? Uh, ok. Whatever. What exactly would make the normal street legal DRZ safer???

Next time take it to Darren at Valley Cycles in Provo. He inspects only bikes.

There is a lot of mis-information in Utah (other states I'm sure) about what is exactly required to have your bike street legal. In Utah, here is the law, copied right from the Utah State Code:

41-6-154.50. Motorcycles -- Required equipment -- Brakes.

(a) Every motorcycle and every motor-driven cycle shall be equipped with the following items, which shall comply with the regulations of the department:

(1) one head lamp which, when factory equipped with an automatic lighting ignition system, shall not be disconnected;

(2) one tail lamp;

(3) either a tail lamp or a separate lamp shall be so constructed and placed as to illuminate with a white light the rear registration plate;

(4) one red reflector on the rear, either as part of the tail lamp or separately;

(5) one stop lamp;

(6) a braking system, other than parking brake, as provided in Section 41-6-145;

(7) a horn or warning device in accordance with Section 41-6-146;

(8) a muffler and emission control system in accordance with Section 41-6-147;

(9) a mirror in accordance with Section 41-6-148; and

(10) tires in accordance with Section 41-6-150.

(:) The commissioner is authorized to require an inspection of the braking system on any motor-driven cycle and to disapprove any such braking system on a vehicle which in his opinion is equipped with a braking system that is not designed or constructed as to insure reasonable and reliable performance in actual use.

© The commissioner may refuse to register or may suspend or revoke the registration of any vehicle referred to in this section when he determines that the braking system thereon does not comply with the provisions of this section.

(d) No person shall operate on any highway any vehicle referred to in this section in the event the commissioner has disapproved the braking system upon such vehicle.

Enacted by Chapter 242, 1979 General Session

In other words, here is what you need: mirror, brakes, horn, headlight, tailight, brakelight, light on plate, reflector.

Things you don't need: DOT tires, metal tank, blinkers, battery.

Most, and I mean most, dealers, police, state workers, inspectors, etc. have no idea what the law really says in Utah. I was pulled over on my XR650R- street lisensed in Provo. The officer was going to write me up for no blinkers, tires, metal tank, etc. I simply referred him to the Utah Code listed above. He called dispatch and before I knew it, four other officers showed up, five total. They must of thought I was a dangerous man. The sergant then called dispatch and had them look up the code. Sure enough, I was right. They then told me that it was still a "good idea" to get blinkers and such. Fine.

Information is a tremendous weapon. Good luck.

Colorado is quite a bit different. Here's what's on our form taken directly from the form. You fill this out and sign.

Certificate of Equipment Compliance: Form DR 2686

Equipment Required for Highway use for a Two-Wheeled Motorcycle in Colorado

Head Lamps:

At least one and not more than 2 head lamps. Every head lamp shal be located at a height measured from the center of the lamp of not more than 54 inches or less than 24 inches.

Tail Lamps and Relectors:

At least one tail lamp, one stop lamp and one relflex reflector. Such lamps and reflectors may be incorporated in a single unit an shall be at a height measured from the center of the lamp of not more than 72 inches or less than 15 inches.

Note Head lamps, tail and stop lamps must be equivalent to lamps useds as original equipment on motorcycles manufactured for highway use.


At lease one brake which may be operated by hand or foot.


Horm must be in good working order and capable of emitting sound audible under normal conditions for a distance of not less than 200 feet.


An adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise.


A mirror so located and so constructed to reflect to the rider a free and unobstructed view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of such motorcycle.


Equipped with tires designed for highway use.

Motive Power:

(Must have 50c.c. less is a motorized bicycle and cannot be titled.) Shall have motive power adequate to propel the vehicle at speeds which will not interfere with the normal flow of traffic.

You must also get a Verification of Vehicle Identification Number, Form DR2411 or DR2087 and have it filled out at a place like Grease Monkey, Jiffy Lube, etc. that does emission testing. All that is checked is the VIN, no other inspection.

Bring the required documents, bill of sale and proof of insurance and you get a title.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now