Need some Jetting Info 09 WR450...UPDATE on new GYTR AIS KIT JET SIZES...

Thanks for those that posted. See my post farther down in this thread for

the stock and GYTR jet numbers. A bit different than I had read here, so

something has changed.

Okay guys, I have read a LOT of info here on jetting the WR450.

I have gone though a LOT of searches as well. I am not a carb

guy. I have a lot more confidence with computer programmed EFI

than carbs. So I need some help from those of you in the know.

2009 WR450F.

No exhaust or intake mods right now. Maybe later.

Removed AIS.

Will pickup the actualy GYTR AIS kit today, but now Im questioning this

due to the jets that come in the kit.

So for being in Oklahoma, about 650' Elevation, what size jets

should I start with. With what I have read here, I have gathered

by using the GYTR needle, I should be at

165 main, 48 pilot, and maybe a 50 leak?????

Thanks for the help, Im a fish out of water since I cant just

hook this thing up to my laptop and start making AFR adjustments.

:)

I live and ride west of Denver so from 6000ft on up. This is my setup all free mods, open airbox, wire clipped, throttle stop cut and AIS removed. I think that was all of them.

Pro Moto Billet insert on the stock exhaust

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/product_p/exh_pmb_wrinsert.htm

JD Jetting

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=INT%5FJDJETTING%5FJETKIT

ZipTy mixture screw 1.5 out...I think?

165 main

48 pilot

Red needle 3rd from top clip

(6k ft to 9k ft settings per JD Jetting)

It runs great with these settings and starts no problem. I'll be most likely ordering a Dr D exhaust this week and will move the needle to 4th from top clip. (3k ft to 6kft settings per JD jetting)

Okay guys, I have read a LOT of info here on jetting the WR450.

I have gone though a LOT of searches as well. I am not a carb

guy. I have a lot more confidence with computer programmed EFI

than carbs. So I need some help from those of you in the know.

2009 WR450F.

No exhaust or intake mods right now. Maybe later.

Removed AIS.

Will pickup the actualy GYTR AIS kit today, but now Im questioning this

due to the jets that come in the kit.

So for being in Oklahoma, about 6500' Elevation, what size jets

should I start with. With what I have read here, I have gathered

by using the GYTR needle, I should be at

165 main, 48 pilot, and maybe a 50 leak?????

Thanks for the help, Im a fish out of water since I cant just

hook this thing up to my laptop and start making AFR adjustments.

:)

I think you pretty much have it figured out there. From my experience, you should be at a 165 main, 48 pilot, 3rd clip from the top on the needle, 40 leak jet, 2 to 2 1/2 turns out on the fuel screw, and a couple of small o-rings on the AP arm. That should pretty much be the ticket. I would however, suggest removing the airbox snorkel and exhaust baffle, it's ridiculously easy and will make the bike run much better. I'd probably go as far as saying that it will make the job of jetting the bike a lot easier.

The stock pipe belongs in a dumpster along with the airbox binoculars, all the brass in the carberator and all the AIS crap.

Get a pipe for a YZ450 and everything will be groovy.

The stock WR450 runs like a turd.

The stock pipe belongs in a dumpster along with the airbox binoculars, all the brass in the carberator and all the AIS crap.

Get a pipe for a YZ450 and everything will be groovy.

The stock WR450 runs like a turd.

I agree with you on that, but the OP doesn't want to unleash the full potential of the bike just yet. Removing the baffle from the stock muffler will give him a good boost for what he wants right now.

Zakok,

First let's revisit your altitude there in Oklahoma. Perhaps you would like to make a correction to your first post (highest point in Oklahoma, Black Mesa 4,978 ft.). Second, It makes it hard to give you jetting advice when you have not completed ALL of the free mods (AIS removed, gray wire disconnected, YZ throttle stop installed, muffler baffle removed and snorkle removed). They are easy to do and the bike runs much better after you complete them.

My opinion about after market pipes: unless you race, you do not need (although you might want) to change out the very well engineered, quiet, already paid for, and more than adequate in performance stock exhaust system.

The jets and needle that come in the GYT-R AIS kit generally result in a too rich condition. The best jetting for the 2003-2009 WR450F was the stock jetting for the 2004 WR450F. The 2004 WR450F ran well off the show room floor with the stock jetting and the free mods incorporated. The specs for the 2004 are Main jet #165, Pilot jet #45 and Needle OBDWR (part number and description from the 2004 WR450F Yamaha catalog: {5TJ-14916-WR-00 NEEDLE (#DWR) STD}) with the clip in the 4th notch. Set the Fuel/Air screw to 1 3/4 turns out to start. Without looking at the jetting for a 2009 WR and based on the general consensus that the 2009 bike is exactly the same as the 2008, except for "bold new graphics", the rest of the jetting in the 2009 carburetor should be the same as the jetting in the 2004 WR, other than the items I discussed above. I have used this jetting from sea level to 5,200 ft with great success and GREAT gas mileage. Try it--- you'll like it.

If you use the jetting specs above, I think you will be happy. That is if your altitude for where you do most of your riding was a mis-print.

Zakok,

First let's revisit your altitude there in Oklahoma. Perhaps you would like to make a correction to your first post (highest point in Oklahoma, Black Mesa 4,978 ft.). Second, It makes it hard to give you jetting advice when you have not completed ALL of the free mods (AIS removed, gray wire disconnected, YZ throttle stop installed, muffler baffle removed and snorkle removed). They are easy to do and the bike runs much better after you complete them.

My opinion about after market pipes: unless you race, you do not need (although you might want) to change out the very well engineered, quiet, already paid for, and more than adequate in performance stock exhaust system.

The jets and needle that come in the GYT-R AIS kit generally result in a too rich condition. The best jetting for the 2003-2009 WR450F was the stock jetting for the 2004 WR450F. The 2004 WR450F ran well off the show room floor with the stock jetting and the free mods incorporated. The specs for the 2004 are Main jet #165, Pilot jet #45 and Needle OBDWR (part number and description from the 2004 WR450F Yamaha catalog: {5TJ-14916-WR-00 NEEDLE (#DWR) STD}) with the clip in the 4th notch. Set the Fuel/Air screw to 1 3/4 turns out to start. Without looking at the jetting for a 2009 WR and based on the general consensus that the 2009 bike is exactly the same as the 2008, except for "bold new graphics", the rest of the jetting in the 2009 carburetor should be the same as the jetting in the 2004 WR, other than the items I discussed above. I have used this jetting from sea level to 5,200 ft with great success and GREAT gas mileage. Try it--- you'll like it.

If you use the jetting specs above, I think you will be happy. That is if your altitude for where you do most of your riding was a mis-print.

:lol:

Sorry about the elevation. Good catch. I meant 650'. I corrected in my post.

Thanks for all the info. I appreciate it, and will keep it in mind.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay....So heres the deal.

As already mentioned here, I do NOT want to unleash all the power of

this bike right now. Just not comfortable doing that. So no intake

or exhaust mods for the moment.

Here is the jetting numbers on the 2009 bike and GYTR AIS kit. Seems

a bit different from the numbers I have seen posted here. So I dont

know when the change was made, but I would guess 09.

Stock Air Jet 65 - GYTR Air Jet 110

Stock Pilot Jet 45 - GYTR Pilot Jet 50

Stock Main Jet 162 - GYTR Main Jet 175

Stock Leak Jet 60 - GYTR Leak Jet 45

So it seems Yamaha has made some changes. One being the

much improved size of the Leak Jet, or at least based on my

reading here. I also installed an R&D FlexJet Fuel Screw.

The bike seems to be running really good. I will give it a good test

this weekend. The power of the 450, even though it isnt even

opened up yet, is WAY better than the 250R I just got off of.

Its going to be fun.:)

:lol:

Sorry about the elevation. Good catch. I meant 650'. I corrected in my post.

Thanks for all the info. I appreciate it, and will keep it in mind.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay....So heres the deal.

As already mentioned here, I do NOT want to unleash all the power of

this bike right now. Just not comfortable doing that. So no intake

or exhaust mods for the moment.

Here is the jetting numbers on the 2009 bike and GYTR AIS kit. Seems

a bit different from the numbers I have seen posted here. So I dont

know when the change was made, but I would guess 09.

Stock Air Jet 65 - GYTR Air Jet 110

Stock Pilot Jet 45 - GYTR Pilot Jet 50

Stock Main Jet 162 - GYTR Main Jet 175

Stock Leak Jet 60 - GYTR Leak Jet 45

So it seems Yamaha has made some changes. One being the

much improved size of the Leak Jet, or at least based on my

reading here. I also installed an R&D FlexJet Fuel Screw.

The bike seems to be running really good. I will give it a good test

this weekend. The power of the 450, even though it isnt even

opened up yet, is WAY better than the 250R I just got off of.

Its going to be fun.:)

If there's no airbox or exhaust mods to be done, then leave the pilot as is (45) and the main should be bumped to a 165. Do use the 110 air jet, adjustable needle, and leak jet. Using the AIS kit throttle screw would be a good idea as well. Start with the fuel screw @ 1 3/4 turns, don't forget the o-rings on the AP arm too.

So you should end up with the following:

Pilot: 45

Main: 165

Needle: 3rd clip down

Air Jet: 110

Leak Jet: 45

Ap Arm: 2 O-rings

Fuel Screw: 1 3/4 to 2 turns out.

Throttle stop: Short Screw.

The bike should run pretty good with those settings.

P.S. The AIS main and pilot are just too big to be used.

should i do the O ring mods if I'm also putting on a QS2

should i do the O ring mods if I'm also putting on a QS2

everyone should do the o-ring mod, it improves throttle response.

What is the oring mod