VDR 2/8/09 How'd your race go?

Well first glad to hear no one was hurt too badly. I have had the broken collar bone before and those are painfull. So this was my 4th race this year. And 4th race since 95-96 season. So I am still trying to get back into shape and rythem. So my 1st 3 races were very clean. No falls or crashes. So this race I guess it was my turn to get taken down. Now I pay very close attention to when faster riders are aproaching me and I get out of the way. In fact I will give up the best line, move over and point to where to pass. So I am out running prety good. Feeling good execpt for numb hands. And on lap 4 I get taken down. So I was moving out of the best line and this guy comes around on my outside. I don't even think he was still on the trail at that point. So we collided, and down I went. Now I wasn't pissed at this point. Till my leg got stuck between his rear tire and air box. And he just keep trying to take off and rip my leg off in the process. So there I am with my leg stuck in his wheel and he is just trying to ride off. So I am now screaming at him that my leg is stuck and he is trying to rip it off. So he finnally realizes he is not able to go, cause my leg is wedged in there and he gets off and yanks my leg out. So you know I am somewhat pissed at this point, laying there wondering if my leg is still attached. So does the guy ask are you ok? NO, he jumps on his bike yells at me to get out of :) the way and takes off. Now lucky for me I was alright. And lucky for him I couldn't get up any faster. But I did get his plate number. So I was able to continue on and finish the race. Now I understand that there will be some rubbing in racing, But when you take someone off their bike. Try to rip their leg off. The least you could do before you yell :lol: at the down rider is make sure they are ok. That 40 seconds that we were tangled up might have cost him 2nd place. Had he given me 2 more seconds to get out of the way neither one of us would have lost that much time. But hey it was still a great time. Just alot of sore muscles and aches today. Well that was my race day. :lol:

Pops

VDR-2009-02-08-NOVICE-START.thumb-00:15.jpg

video | VDR Hare Scramble - Start of Novice Class - Feb 2009 Race extwh3.png

VDR-2009-02-08-PRERACE.thumb-00:25.jpg

video | VDR Hare Scramble - Pre-race footage - Feb 2009 Race extwh3.png

VDR-2009-02-08-MIX1.thumb-01:00.jpg

video | VDR Hare Scramble - Montage of Footage from Whole Race - Feb 2009 Race extwh3.png

Here's the index/contents of the race highlights:

00:00 novice start

00:44 dude who crashed on the transfer to the back section

00:52 Yamaha 4st, black jersey/vest, green helmet

00:57 Kaw 4st, grey jacket

00:58 KTM 4st, white/black/orange jersey

01:05 #951

01:25 #81

01:30 #34 (#4 on chest protector)

01:25 #837

01:42 #112

01:51 KTM 2st, white jersey, orange helmet

01:56 Yam 2st, black/white jersey

01:58 #13 or #18, KTM 2st, black jacket

02:00 KTM 4st, white jersey

02:05 #278

02:09 Honda 4st, yellow helmet

02:23 KTM 4st, FOX pants

02:33 #11

02:38 #603/503 and guy on a white bike with black jacket

02:50 #20

02:55 #812

03:30 #951

03:34 KTM 4st guy with green fleece #4? #6?

04:02 KTM 4st, white jersey

04:12 Kaw dude on side by rear woops

04:14 #96 MOEN

04:23 Kaw 2st, white/orange/blue jersey

04:27 #241

04:56 KTM 2st orage/blue jersey

04:58 #424? Green

05:02 Green/white Jersey

05:10 KTM 4-st, blue jersey

05:25 #59

05:32 #82

05:28 #148 almost crashes right in front of me

06:10 KTM 4st, orange/blue jersey, yellow

06:16 Honda 4st, black pinstripe pants

06:24 #822, Kaw white/black jersey blue backpack

06:31 KTM 4st, black jacket, white helmet

06:45 Yam 4st, blue/black jacket #47?

07:00 guy from 6:31 again

07:09 #411

07:16 #251

07:21 Kaw, black jackey

07:23 #227

07:29 Kaw 2st, black jacket

07:49 #967

07:54 #756? Yam

07:59 Dude in white jersey

08:05 #251

08:13 Honda 2-st blue jacket

08:17 Honda 4st, Black jacket red helmet

08:22 Kaw 4st, white/blue jersey, black vest

08:27 Honda 4st, white/orange jersey

08:29 KTM 4st, white/blue jersey

08:35 #241

08:42 #948 green jersey

08:45 #66

08:50 #38

08:55 #66 stalled near scoring chute

08:59 KTM 2-st launching over log

09:19 #66 passes me in air

09:30 Honda 2st? blue/black jacket

09:39 #81

09:49 #27

09:54 #920

10:00 #989

10:06 #24

10:11 #59

10:26 Yam broken fender

10:51 Kaw 4st, green jersey, flies over me

10:55 #148

10:58 #82

11:08 KTM 4-st, white jersey

11:17 #117? KTM 2-st blue jersey - waves to camera

11:23 #90 and #42?

110:45 KTM 4-st, blue fleece

12:04 Kaw off on north side by reverse jumps

12:09 #16

12:13 #436?

12:18 KTM 4st, orange/blue/yellow

12:29 #967

12:36 dude walking with gas can

12:41 Honda guy being attended to

13:09 Yamaha, plated, white jersey- overbrakes and stalls in corner

13:15 #241

13:20 #114

13:27 #71

13:35 #941

Well first glad to hear no one was hurt too badly. I have had the broken collar bone before and those are painfull. So this was my 4th race this year. And 4th race since 95-96 season. So I am still trying to get back into shape and rythem. So my 1st 3 races were very clean. No falls or crashes. So this race I guess it was my turn to get taken down. Now I pay very close attention to when faster riders are aproaching me and I get out of the way. In fact I will give up the best line, move over and point to where to pass. So I am out running prety good. Feeling good execpt for numb hands. And on lap 4 I get taken down. So I was moving out of the best line and this guy comes around on my outside. I don't even think he was still on the trail at that point. So we collided, and down I went. Now I wasn't pissed at this point. Till my leg got stuck between his rear tire and air box. And he just keep trying to take off and rip my leg off in the process. So there I am with my leg stuck in his wheel and he is just trying to ride off. So I am now screaming at him that my leg is stuck and he is trying to rip it off. So he finnally realizes he is not able to go, cause my leg is wedged in there and he gets off and yanks my leg out. So you know I am somewhat pissed at this point, laying there wondering if my leg is still attached. So does the guy ask are you ok? NO, he jumps on his bike yells at me to get out of :lol: the way and takes off. Now lucky for me I was alright. And lucky for him I couldn't get up any faster. But I did get his plate number. So I was able to continue on and finish the race. Now I understand that there will be some rubbing in racing, But when you take someone off their bike. Try to rip their leg off. The least you could do before you yell :worthy: at the down rider is make sure they are ok. That 40 seconds that we were tangled up might have cost him 2nd place. Had he given me 2 more seconds to get out of the way neither one of us would have lost that much time. But hey it was still a great time. Just alot of sore muscles and aches today. Well that was my race day. :banghead:

Pops

Dang, sorry to hear that bro. Im glad you are ok, and that you didnt let the hot-head get under your skin. Sometimes when the adrenaline is flowing, people can be a bit terse.

Hearing all these stories, I think it may be a good thing I didnt race. I have proven to be very accident prone.

Well first glad to hear no one was hurt too badly. I have had the broken collar bone before and those are painfull. So this was my 4th race this year. And 4th race since 95-96 season. So I am still trying to get back into shape and rythem. So my 1st 3 races were very clean. No falls or crashes. So this race I guess it was my turn to get taken down. Now I pay very close attention to when faster riders are aproaching me and I get out of the way. In fact I will give up the best line, move over and point to where to pass. So I am out running prety good. Feeling good execpt for numb hands. And on lap 4 I get taken down. So I was moving out of the best line and this guy comes around on my outside. I don't even think he was still on the trail at that point. So we collided, and down I went. Now I wasn't pissed at this point. Till my leg got stuck between his rear tire and air box. And he just keep trying to take off and rip my leg off in the process. So there I am with my leg stuck in his wheel and he is just trying to ride off. So I am now screaming at him that my leg is stuck and he is trying to rip it off. So he finnally realizes he is not able to go, cause my leg is wedged in there and he gets off and yanks my leg out. So you know I am somewhat pissed at this point, laying there wondering if my leg is still attached. So does the guy ask are you ok? NO, he jumps on his bike yells at me to get out of :lol: the way and takes off. Now lucky for me I was alright. And lucky for him I couldn't get up any faster. But I did get his plate number. So I was able to continue on and finish the race. Now I understand that there will be some rubbing in racing, But when you take someone off their bike. Try to rip their leg off. The least you could do before you yell :worthy: at the down rider is make sure they are ok. That 40 seconds that we were tangled up might have cost him 2nd place. Had he given me 2 more seconds to get out of the way neither one of us would have lost that much time. But hey it was still a great time. Just alot of sore muscles and aches today. Well that was my race day. :banghead:

Pops

That a bummer that that happened. Some guys get really worked up during these races. No offense Pops but this is the exact reason that Pete says not to get out of the way of riders that are passing you. More often than not your technique will get you by and you will not have any issues but that one time you will pay for it. I personally hate it when guys catch up with you and start yelling or revving there engine at your. I think that if they can catch you they can pass you. I do my best to hold my line and race my race but some guys get so pissed if you don't pull over the second that they get behind you and let them bye. It's funny I had a guy catch me just after the section at the flat track and he was yelling at me every time he got close I did try to let him by after a while but every time I was in a straight and i would look back he was pretty far behind me. We were not that far apart in speed he followed me until the long straight at the back of the west end.

Dang, sorry to hear that bro. Im glad you are ok, and that you didnt let the hot-head get under your skin. Sometimes when the adrenaline is flowing, people can be a bit terse.

Hearing all these stories, I think it may be a good thing I didnt race. I have proven to be very accident prone.

Don't talk your self out of racing. Most of the guys that pass are very respectful and do it in a safe manner.

Thanks for posting those Zac. :lol:

Yes, thanks for posting Zak and it was good meeting you. By the way that was me at 1:58 not 13 or 18 but 12. Man that look like it was a lot of work to get all that done.

Thanks for the video Zac.

There is no excuse for getting bent out of shape and trying to ride away with someone attached to the bike, or being so offensive.

Yesterday there were several guys I caught and while I tried to pass they intentially blocked the line I was taking to pass. I put up with this for a turn or 2 then I agressively block passed them the next chance I got. I didnt take them out and was forced to be aggressive to get by. I didnt rev or yell just shut them down in a corner. At the riders meeting they talk about this every race, if someone catches you keep your line. This isnt mx where everyone on the track is in the same class compeeting against you.

Thanks Pete for a fun race, the north track was way better with the whoops knocked down and a few lips on the jumps cleaned up.

By the way that was me at 1:58 not 13 or 18 but 12. Man that look like it was a lot of work to get all that done.

It's hard to see, let alone remember, all those numbers as they pass me at mach 5!! :lol: Just kidding, but it's sometimes hard to read the numbers from just 1 or 2 frames of video.

Zak - thanks for that video. I'm really glad you caught my stall at 13:09 - too bad you couldnt have stayed and watch me try and get restarted, but you would have been there a couple of minutes.....

thanks for the video and showing the time stamp with the numbers, it was really cool. When i come up on a slower rider I prefer that they stay their line as well. I have already planned my pass before the one being passed hears my bike. It is a race, but it is only a Sunday race at Berthoud. Only wish they held a Hare Scrambles during the spring/summer/fall.

Mark

Only wish they held a Hare Scrambles during the spring/summer/fall.

+1 That would be fun if the series was broken up into two parts summer / winter. 1 race a month would be awesome. Could you imagine how dusty the track would get when there has been constant racing for two hours in 90-100 degree temps? Pete would have to start handing out dust masks in the riders meeting. Dust or not I would still show up.

+1 That would be fun if the series was broken up into two parts summer / winter. 1 race a month would be awesome. Could you imagine how dusty the track would get when there has been constant racing for two hours in 90-100 degree temps? Pete would have to start handing out dust masks in the riders meeting. Dust or not I would still show up.

I think a summer and winter series would be a great idea. In the heat of the summer a 2 hr race could be a bit harsh, and dusty. Perhaps shorten the race to 1.5 or 1.0 hrs in the summer. Your thoughts Pete and Terry?

The RMEC enduro schedule starts in March and goes until November..

Anyone know who was taking pictures and if they're online anywhere?

I know there was a guy taking pics who was with one of the guys in the Sportsmen group who registered about the same time I did. He was riding a YZ with either 14 or 15 (although he had a #9 as his "number" on the bike). He was parked near me and I saw his friend talking to D Anderson after the race saying he got some pics of him.

Sorry this doesnt really help....

Planned to race Sunday. Got sucked into the "wrong" weather forcast AGAIN for rain/snow. Went out and rode hard on Saturday at VDR and had a great time thinking that Sunday was going to be a no go for me. Woke up to dry conditions on Sunday and the rush was on. Despite my aging (super senior) sore muscles from Saturday, I was now rushing around to get the bike and me ready. Since I am a ALWAYS on time with my oil/filter changes and air cleaner I felt the need to accomplish those things before I took the bike out for a race. Got those things done, looked at the time...10:03...Oh great...do I have time to make it...let's see...

5 min to load bike

5 min to get some gas

30 min drive

10 min to sign up (that's if the line was short)

5 min to unload bike and stuff

10 min to get geared up

5 min to start line

Total: 70 min

Add in there that my son was watching me rush around and saying the whole time that I will not make it....no confidence in dad I guess...(I think it was really wishful thinking because he really hates to pit for me, he would rather ride)

No race for me..Instead we sat around the WHOLE day and watched old MX races from last summer all the while the ground remained dry and the sun was out...just great!!!!

P.S. My son never made it out of his PJs........

I was looking for you out there. You guys need to make it to the next one. Both of you guys should race. They gave the 85's there own race now. So they don't have to race with the big bikes any more.

I was looking for you out there. You guys need to make it to the next one. Both of you guys should race. They gave the 85's there own race now. So they don't have to race with the big bikes any more.

I did the one in Jan. Great time...It was the first one on a 4 stroke...The only problem I had was that I could not feel my hands. Not quite sure if it was arm pump or the cold. Probably a combination of the two. I could barely feel my grips. Kept thinking I was going to lose my grip on the bars. I finished near the bottom of my class..I know its just for fun but I am hoping to do better. Shane and I plan to do the next one for sure. Maybe we'll see you out there before then.... P.S. Went to IMI yesterday..needed to ride to prepare for the next one...No snow and a good day minus the wind. Stared at the 3 sets of doubles for a while until a guy said he would pace me over them. What a difference having someone to pace you..Did them with no problems.....until the last time around...cased the second set, saved it, no damage except for an extremely high voice now....

I did the one in Jan. Great time...It was the first one on a 4 stroke...The only problem I had was that I could not feel my hands. Not quite sure if it was arm pump or the cold. Probably a combination of the two. I could barely feel my grips. Kept thinking I was going to lose my grip on the bars. I finished near the bottom of my class..I know its just for fun but I am hoping to do better. Shane and I plan to do the next one for sure. Maybe we'll see you out there before then.... P.S. Went to IMI yesterday..needed to ride to prepare for the next one...No snow and a good day minus the wind. Stared at the 3 sets of doubles for a while until a guy said he would pace me over them. What a difference having someone to pace you..Did them with no problems.....until the last time around...cased the second set, saved it, no damage except for an extremely high voice now....

Good I'll make sure to look for you guys at the next one. I'm always parked right next to the 50 track.

Those doubles are fun at IMI. It's amazing how easy they are once you do them one time. Ouch that second set is the worst one to case by a long shot. I like that you have to increase your speed in those three jumps to clear the third one. IMI is a fun track especially when it's prepped nice. I wish they would water the track heavily and then till it. When they water on top of the tilled dirt it makes the corners so hard to do because the water sits on top of all the dirt.

If the forecast for Sunday holds (46 sunny), I'm going to try VDR. With the moisture from the last few days, the track should be great.

If the forecast for Sunday holds (46 sunny), I'm going to try VDR. With the moisture from the last few days, the track should be great.

Hey Zak....I was parked next to you guys last week and did some laps together. (Honda CRF450 and silver Jimmy)..We are planning to ride Sun and Mon. Thinking VDR or Watkins depending one which one gets less snow and is warmest. We might even go to Millikin if they open on Sun...