Sign in to follow this  

Hard to start cold,runs great warm

My 2000 drz 400s doesn't like to start when it's cold.When it's warm it starts great, barely have to touch the button and it carburates well while riding it.

It starts best with no choke and the throttle 1/2 open but even then it'll drain the battery and I have to jump it.The spark plug was dry when I pulled it out and a nice tan color.

I've only had it for a few weeks and it wasn't as bad at first.

The bike has a full Yosh rs-3,stock carb with a 160 jet,stock needle,3x3 mod.

Thanks for any ideas.:)

you need a jet kit to go with the 3x3 mod

other wise start buy cleaning the carb

faster that look at your cam timing ( that is a older bike and may have a worn out timing chain ) and or valves need ajusted

you need a jet kit to go with the 3x3 mod

other wise start buy cleaning the carb

faster that look at your cam timing ( that is a older bike and may have a worn out timing chain ) and or valves need ajusted

The bike has hotcams in it,is the cam timing the same as stock?

I plan on getting a jet kit.

What are you valve clearances? How cold, its been cold in the NE? When was your last oil change?

Tan color really doesn't say much... Modern fuels make "reading" the plug not that useful.

Also, check the stupid stuff like the lines to the tank are all hooked up, nothing is loose around the carb, etc...

my bike doesn't like temps under 32 degrees(IE: Does not run well). I use it as a sign that I shouldn't be riding when its that cold anyways :lol:

What are you valve clearances? How cold, its been cold in the NE? When was your last oil change?

Tan color really doesn't say much... Modern fuels make "reading" the plug not that useful.

Also, check the stupid stuff like the lines to the tank are all hooked up, nothing is loose around the carb, etc...

Gonna check the valve clearances this weekend,it's been in the high 30's around here at night but in the 50's during the day.

Just changed the oil 200 miles or so ago ,double checked the carb stuff, all good.

Gonna check the valves, cam timing then order a jet kit.:lol:

It's always harder to start in the cold weather. I'm suspicious in drains your battery though. I would have my battery checked. Also, you should always start it with the choke totally open when cold, that's odd that half choke is where you feel you have to be. Are you sure your gasoline is not too old?

It's always harder to start in the cold weather. I'm suspicious in drains your battery though. I would have my battery checked. Also, you should always start it with the choke totally open when cold, that's odd that half choke is where you feel you have to be. Are you sure your gasoline is not too old?

The gas is fresh and I started the bike last night,no choke,throttle half open and it cranked up after about 20 seconds.

If I try full choke it just turns over.The battery always seemed kinda weak,could be old.

I'm gonna check valves,cam timing etc this weekend to make sure they're :lol:.

Jim, just noticed you have a '01 zrx1200,so do I.Are you a member of the zrxoa?

If I try full choke it just turns over.The battery always seemed kinda weak,could be old.

It's always the battery. Buy Eddie's Super Starter Kit, and upgrade to a more powerful battery.

And it never hurts to blow some carb cleaner through the enrichening circuit, a.k.a., the choke.

You say that it does not like choke and likes throttle input. Just a thought as nothing else has seemed to help: possible float valve and petcock leak. If you think it is the battery you could try jumping it from your car battery. Just remember that the car must not be on or you risk damaging the bike. defiantly check those valves(engine cold).

Edit: I just re read and you mentioned the spark plug was dry so flooding is probably not the issue.

Jbw

When did this begin to occur????? Did you do anything to the bike?????

Bike should start with no throttle, and full choke. What is your riding altitude????

Erling

Would running lean have a an issue with temp? he might be running too lean with that stock needle, also try a bigger pilot. correct me if I am wrong.

You say that it does not like choke and likes throttle input. Just a thought as nothing else has seemed to help: possible float valve and petcock leak. If you think it is the battery you could try jumping it from your car battery. Just remember that the car must not be on or you risk damaging the bike. defiantly check those valves(engine cold).

Edit: I just re read and you mentioned the spark plug was dry so flooding is probably not the issue.

Jbw

I've jumped it from the car and it does start easier,valves will be checked this weekend.

Would running lean have a an issue with temp? he might be running too lean with that stock needle, also try a bigger pilot. correct me if I am wrong.

That's what I'm leaning towards.:lol:

When did this begin to occur????? Did you do anything to the bike?????

Bike should start with no throttle, and full choke. What is your riding altitude????

Erling

I've had the bike for a couple months and at first it seemed to start ok,1/2 choke.Didn't do anything to the bike,just rode it.My altitude is sea level.

With a stock needle you need a 25 pilot and I think 2 sizes up on the main for the 3x3. Did you replace the pilot jet yet?

With a stock needle you need a 25 pilot and I think 2 sizes up on the main for the 3x3. Did you replace the pilot jet yet?

No.The carb was all stock except for a 160 main jet.I drilled the cover for the air screw and turned that out 3 turns from seated and the popping on decel was greatly reduced.

I'm gonna order the JD jet kit.

I checked the valves and there was one intake very tight, .04 mm,the rest were in spec.I adjusted it to spec and put it all back together and it started right up,full choke.

Could one tight intake valve make it hard to start? I'll see how it starts in the morning when it's cold.:lol:

yes,it will make the bike hard start.

you need to keep checking the valves often now. it will probbably keep moving which means you will need a valve job soon.