tool question

i plan on doing some topends on some 2s and 4s bikes, and for the cyclinder what mics do i need, please specify the type and size for most general motorcycle applications.

i know i need a inside and outside, but what size and is there a particular type of a in and out mic

ebay has alot of mics listed, how are the cheaper new sets in quality for little usage

thanks for any input!

A Vernier caliper set or other quality dial calipers will do the job just fine. It has jaws designed to measure O.D. and I.D. Do not go cheap, because cheap versions may last just as long, but accuracy is what you pay for. Quality calipers will remain accurate over their entire lifespand. I have mic's and calipers from the 1970's that are just as accurate when tested against my new sets. Starrett comes to mind as a good brand to look for. Check used tool shops, many times you can get a good set on the cheap that way.

ok i can easily see why you would use a vernier caliper, i also noticed it would only be good for measuring the pistons, measuring the bore i would need a telescoping inside mic, right?

a vernier caliper can only measure the top and bottom of the bore, right?

Indeed. You can measure the top and bottom of the bore with the calipers, but to check the runout along the length of the cylinder a mic would be needed.

Like these, although they must be used in conjunction with a conventional mic.

http://www.denlorstools.com/home/dt1/page_1284_187/fowler_telescopic_gage_set___6_pc._fow72_373_012.html

Since I own both, I've double checked vernier caliper measurements with my mic and vice versa. They both read the same. I think it all depends on how good of an instrument you get. Buy from a quality machinist supply company or factory direct from a brand like Starrett and the accuracy is just as good as a mic. You can get calipers in english, SI, and engineering units. That would be inches, millimeters, and 1/10 inch increments for the engineering scale.

Metric calipers would be desirable for this application, but the mic would be the best tool for measuring consistency throughout the bike's bore. Ideally one would own both.