Tundra vs F150 Sileverado Ram 1500

I have replaced more front end parts in my gmc in the 65000 miles that are on it then most people do in a lifetime. Its sonoma but still it doesnt speak well for gm quality. my dad has over 200000 miles on his tundra and it runs as good as when he got it with just regular maintenance. I know in the spring when i go to buy a fullsize i wont be on any GM lot.

Who uses their truck to pull against another truck...stupid test. Now, show me a Toyota that can pull a 15k 5th wheel over the pass. What? they don't make one? Guess I'll just stick with my Ford. At least the camshafts don't break in half. I would never buy a Toyota.

You're right, hooking two trucks together and having a pulling contest is almost as stupid a comparison test as comparing how a half ton does the task of a one ton.?

• Like 1

I doubt you'd be able to find a Ford 1/2 ton that is rated for your 15K 5th wheel either. I wouldnt be worried about the camshaft, I'd be more worried about a fire....?

Nope, no 1/2 ton will do it. My 5th wheel puts arouond 2500-3000 lbs in the bed so I use a 1 ton. Still the question is, where is the Toyota that can do that? Hmmm...guess I'll still stick with my Ford.

Fire? A simple retune fixed that. Can you retune a broken camshaft? Look, we can go around and around like this for days. The fact is that people have this perception that Toyota's are infallible and that just isn't true. Little old ladies driving around in their Camrys don't really test the longevity of a vehicle. And I know that everyone that drives around in one of those precious Toyota Prius' thinks they are saving the planet. More power to 'em, but I have work to do and I play hard. I need something that isn't made of tinfoil. Don't try and tell me that the Tundra is a tough truck. It may run forever, but I would never expect it to really work hard.

Nope, no 1/2 ton will do it. My 5th wheel puts arouond 2500-3000 lbs in the bed so I use a 1 ton. Still the question is, where is the Toyota that can do that? Hmmm...guess I'll still stick with my Ford.

Fire? A simple retune fixed that. Can you retune a broken camshaft? Look, we can go around and around like this for days. The fact is that people have this perception that Toyota's are infallible and that just isn't true. Little old ladies driving around in their Camrys don't really test the longevity of a vehicle. And I know that everyone that drives around in one of those precious Toyota Prius' thinks they are saving the planet. More power to 'em, but I have work to do and I play hard. I need something that isn't made of tinfoil. Don't try and tell me that the Tundra is a tough truck. It may run forever, but I would never expect it to really work hard.

So, in this thread that is comparing half ton trucks by various manufacturer's, your addition to the discussion is what again?

You obviously don't know much about the whole recall issue.

After working for one of the largest Toyota dealership in the northeast, a dealer that was selling between 80-100 trucks a month, we had MAYBE 5 07's come back from the camshaft issue - I know because I was the Customer Relations assistant for service and had to deal with these issues.

It got blown WAAAY out of proportion by people like you that can't stand to know your truck is at BEST 2nd ranking.

And just wait till around 2011-2012 when the diesel and dually's come out.

Uh oh... there goes ford's commercial sales for the HD trucks....?

• Like 1

Might want to double check your HP figures for the domestics 1/2 ton trucks.?

I just checked the horspower figures...I didnt check chevy or ford..I am a Dodge guy so I only checked them.. The dodge 5.7 is 390 horsepower. the Yoda is 381. Just sturring the pot:banana:

I just checked the horspower figures...I didnt check chevy or ford..I am a Dodge guy so I only checked them.. The dodge 5.7 is 390 horsepower. the Yoda is 381. Just sturring the pot:banana:

Its funny how they claim it has more hp, but its quarter mile time doesn't reflect it. Tundra is still quicker than all the other 1/2 tons without a load and with 6500 lbs behind it. ?

Btw, Merriam-Webster defines the verb 'Dodge' as, "to avoid an encounter with" ............. I always thought it was good advice... :worthy:

• Like 1

Its funny how they claim it has more hp, but its quarter mile time doesn't reflect it. Tundra is still quicker than all the other 1/2 tons without a load and with 6500 lbs behind it. ?

Btw, Merriam-Webster defines the verb 'Dodge' as, "to avoid an encounter with" ............. I always thought it was good advice... :worthy:

Good point.....:banghead::busted:

Now report back with towing capacity. You wont feel the 9 HP, I suspect the rear axle ratio is high compared to the Tundra. The Tundra can get away with the 4.30 axle ratio because it uses a double overdrive 6 speed auto tranny. Still good grunt for getting a large heavy load moving from a stop, yet, not screaming at freeway sppeds. Another nice advantage of the 6 spped is going over a grade or Mt pass, you are always in a perfect gear for your speed. Some3, 4 and 5 speeds you are either at speed, engine screaming or lugging. Worse on the 4 speeds over the 5 speeds.

• Like 1

I wanted a leftover new 08 Tundra real bad, but they just weren't coming down in price enough so I drove all the new trucks again, shopped the dealers and ended up with the all new 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 TRX4 for 42% off sticker, paid $21,500 for a truck that had a sticker of $37,050. Best deal on a comparable FX4 was $27K, Z71 was $26K, Tundra TRD was $31K all quite well loaded.

For 2009 Dodge updated the Hemi again with new heads, variable cam timing, short/long intake runners, MSD, fully boxed frame, etc and are getting good gas mileage for a change with it's 390hp and 403 (407?maybe) ft/lbs MSD.

Good thing its faster. Because people buy half ton trucks to go racing most of the time right? If towing is what the truck is mainly being used for, the majority of people will opt for a 3/4 ton or 1 ton anyway. No doubt, the Tundra is a great luxury vehicle with a bed on it. But people dont buy half tons for fast quarter mile times. And all the half tons out now can tow 6500 pounds fine with no problems. All within reasonable times of each other.

It all comes down to what you like driving the most, and the best price you can get. Cause everybody makes a great truck nowadays.

Good thing its faster. Because people buy half ton trucks to go racing most of the time right?

Not exactly racing, but I did make a Titan look pretty stupid today on my way to work... I was over a truck length ahead before I hit 70 mph. ?

If towing is what the truck is mainly being used for, the majority of people will opt for a 3/4 ton or 1 ton anyway.

Actually I bought mine to tow my boat and enclosed trailer. I rarely drive it back and forth to work... Don't need a 3/4 ton for my needs.

You are right that everyone makes a good truck these days... but not everybody makes a great truck. :worthy:

• Like 1