Sign in to follow this  

Camaro Questions

I know that this is more for trucks and trailers but I need some help.

So my buddy is looking at this car http://kpr.craigslist.org/cto/996962065.html

He called the guy and he said that the car has 180,000 miles on it, he is an older gentleman who doesnt want to climb in and out of the car anymore, and he is the original owner.

So is that way to many miles for the car? What should the Camaro last for? I know that the price is high, so what should it be? How is the rest of the powertrain and electrical compents in the car, espicially with 180k? Are there any common problems with these Camaro's to look at?

Oh yeah and what kind of gas milage can be expected? 30mpg sounds a little high to me.

-mt-

Not to mention it's a V6, which is why he claims it gets 30 MPG. Look for an LS1, or even an LT1. Buying a V6 Camaro is like buying a CRF450R with an XR400 engine.

the lt1 can be a pain in the arse to work on

heres a pic of my maro

l_7eacce222ff745a7ac2d9d320ff4daf6.jpg

its my project car so i do a lil here and ther

body kits going on this summer

and durin the winter ill take the time to paint the whole care over

these are old pics of my old hood

PICT0007.jpg

PICT0012.jpg

If the car is in good condition otherwise, the price is not really out of line. An LS car goes for a lot more. The manual transmission should be bulletproof with the 6, but it may be time for a clutch if it hasnt had one already. The stock rearends are reported to be weak, but you are not taxing it with a V6 too much.

As far as the rest of the car, hey, its 11 years old --- thats 16,000 a year -- about average mileage --- down here in Oklahoma and Texas, avg mileage is more like 20 -25k a year because of all the wide open spaces ------ so its creampuff mileage, its just old. Pwr windows and locks are gonna go out as well as other weird stuff that happenso old cars, but hey -- its only $3500 bucks and you may be able to get it for 2750 or 3k

KBB is like only $2,500 on the car and on the phone my buddy already got him down to $2,900 without even seeing the car. I am just worried that with that many miles it will need a lot of work and money in the near future. He cant afforad it nor does he want a headache, just a nice reliable sporty car. An LS1 or an LT1 is out of the question. He is 16 and there is no way that his mom will go for it, nor will his insurance! So a V-6 with 200hp is more than enough for him. He can beat up on the imports and a loudmouth at school with a mid 90's cougar.

Any more info./ thoughts on the car?

-mt-

i dunno i got a 93 camaro and i get about 35 miles to the gall but 180 is way past a tranni

No way you get 35 MPG. I call BS on this one.

i wont call bs on his 35 mpg, i have a 98 camaro with the ls1 and t56 six speed manual and if i drive easy i can get around 30

you can call bs all you want lol

i kno what i get

and theres no need to lie about sumthen as dumb as mph

now only if i can get my dodge 5.7 lt to get 35 miles to the gall lol

KBB is like only $2,500 on the car and on the phone my buddy already got him down to $2,900 without even seeing the car. I am just worried that with that many miles it will need a lot of work and money in the near future. He cant afforad it nor does he want a headache, just a nice reliable sporty car. An LS1 or an LT1 is out of the question. He is 16 and there is no way that his mom will go for it, nor will his insurance! So a V-6 with 200hp is more than enough for him. He can beat up on the imports and a loudmouth at school with a mid 90's cougar.

-mt-

you might try a Camaro specific forum to check and see if the 6's have any problems that crop up with some miles on them. You may get a more educated answer that way. if there were any recalls or any other weird stuff that might come up. I didnt realize KBB would be so low for that car, but i guess i am a little out of touch.

At 180k, all i can think of is all the little things -- creaks, rattles, door hinges sagging, power motors going out, things like that. Leaking weatherstrip, loose interior pieces, broken down drivers seat. Sometimes with an older vehicle you are rollin the dice, unless its really vintage and you know exactly what you are getting to going in.

But like i said, try a Camaro specific forum -- might get better answers -- car looks good in the pic

B

Car looks good for the price. As long as it looks good in person, everything works good, id go for it.

Btw, does anybody know what an LT1 Camaro does 0-60? Im looking into buying a Camaro, and im wondering how fast they really are.

Car looks good for the price. As long as it looks good in person, everything works good, id go for it.

Btw, does anybody know what an LT1 Camaro does 0-60? Im looking into buying a Camaro, and im wondering how fast they really are.

all depends on the car, mods, and whos driving

"The LT1 was easily the most powerful small-block installed in a Camaro since its ..SS: 0-60 in 5.3 seconds, 1/4 mile in 13.7 seconds @ 105.6 mph."

"The LT1 was easily the most powerful small-block installed in a Camaro since its ..SS: 0-60 in 5.3 seconds, 1/4 mile in 13.7 seconds @ 105.6 mph."

uh, that might have been an accurate statement in 1995, but the LS1 was more powerful (better engine too) and the new LS3 camaro's will put both to shame in power and performance.

As for the topic of the thread... the 3.8 is a good V6, not real fond of it in the Camaro but if its been maintained properly it should have plenty of life left in it. 30mpg is a bit of a stretch though, the LS1 cars with 6 speeds could get that on the highway, but I'm not so sure about a 6 banger 5 speed. It should get mid 20s fairly easily though.

Nice Looker I Have 184000 On Mine W/v-6 3.4 Built Runs Good And I Get 18 To 22 Mpg Due To The Built V-6 I Dont Think The Guy Is To Out Of Line On His Asking Price Look At The Right Rear Floor Pan I Have Seen Alot Of Them Rust Out. Good Luck.

So we went and looked at the car. It looks good and drives good, but I talked to him about maintinence and he said that he only changes his oil every 14,000 miles :lol: He runs amsoil 5w30, but that sure seems like a lot of miles between oil changes.:worthy: What do you all think?

-mt-

So we went and looked at the car. It looks good and drives good, but I talked to him about maintinence and he said that he only changes his oil every 14,000 miles :lol: He runs amsoil 5w30, but that sure seems like a lot of miles between oil changes.:worthy: What do you all think?

-mt-

thats pretty common with Amsoil

thats pretty common with Amsoil

Really?

Now that I have done some looking, it seems like it isnt to bad, but it just defies everything that I have ever been taught/told.

-mt-

So a V-6 with 200hp is more than enough for him. He can beat up on the imports and a loudmouth at school with a mid 90's cougar.

-mt-

most of those little imports put out more hp and weigh 1000's of pounds less , they will smoke that v6 camero .

my friends crx puts out more power with its 1.8 L engine .

but ya a young kid doesn't need a lt1 that will just get him in trouble to the point were he might be able to keep up to the imports .