Decision time Husky Te310 vs Te510

I am about to buy a Husky TE310 but I don't know if it will carry my weight of 237 pounds. when I enquired about the TE450 the sales staff said for the same dry weight I could get into the TE510 for $300 extra, (in fact it is only $300 between each model as they go up). Has anyone tried the new Husqvarna 2009 TE310 to see how it rides power and playability? I'm told it rides like a 250 but with more grunt?

One issue that may help make your decision is the gearing. I believe the TE310 is geared allot lower than the 450/510 and would not run at lower rpms on higher speed fire roads and pavement sections. If you check the specs I think you will find the TE310 geared similar to the TE250 which some do not recommend any speeds above 50 mph for any duration.

One issue that may help make your decision is the gearing. I believe the TE310 is geared allot lower than the 450/510 and would not run at lower rpms on higher speed fire roads and pavement sections....

Some have added a +1 tooth countershaft sprocket to 250/310's with good results. Choose wisely Grasshoppa... ?

Cheers, M.

I am about to buy a Husky TE310 but I don't know if it will carry my weight of 237 pounds. Has anyone tried the new Husqvarna 2009 TE310 to see how it rides power and playability? I'm told it rides like a 250 but with more grunt?

Keep an eye on posts by ramz on this ADV thread. He'll have some good first hand info. I think he's a big guy too. ramz, "I'll be riding my new '09 Husky TE310 and won't want to try anything too technical; still getting used to it. 4WD roads and some easy single-track would suit me just fine." http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9054365&highlight=TE310#post9054365

His TE310 website is interesting too http://rickramsey.net/TE310.htm

Cheers, M

A 310 will carry you just fine-it's great in tight stuff. If you ride more open stuff (higher speeds) i think the 510 would be better. What kind of terrain do you ride? I'm your size and I really like my TE 300 in the woods and on hills. it handles very good and has plenty of usable power. It's a bit buzzy when you're running down the road at 50-60 mph.

I just picked up my TE 250 today and I have a 07 KTM 450 EXC as well. I can tell you the 250 is geared really short. I can cruise at 45 in 6th at about 5000-6500 rpms. Or half way on the tach. It's really buzzy at that speed and you won't find me doing that for more than a few miles cause it sucks. The bike definitely has the power to go +1 on the front sprocket but the way it's geared I think it might be perfect for some hardcore woods riding. My bike is a 08 with the hop up kit and it's a really nice bike but for any road riding at all. I'd much much rather ride my KTM 450. I usually ride that about 50/50 rode and dirt. I have that geared down and can still cruise 65 with no vibration at all. Compared to the TE250 it's a cadillac. I would assume the lower rpm's and proper gearing would make the TE510 the same.

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna love my 250 in the woods and won't be dissapointed so I'd say, way your options very carefully. If you plan to drive on the rode at all get the te510 but if you want to race in the woods the 310 is the way to go. One thing to note is that the 250/310 rides like a super light bike and can pop the front end up at will. Compared to my 450 it almost feels like riding a mountain bike, kind of. I would say that my 250 is just like riding a race 250 on the street. I'm about 200lbs as well. I doubt weight will be a issue with either bike.

I just checked today my gearing on my 250 is 45 MPH is about 7800 RPM. The bike is really geared for the trails alone. I doubt I'll ride it on the street hardly ever. I hear the 310 is the same so you could always go plus 1 in the front which would be a little better but I'm thinking the bigger bike is the way to go for you.

Thanks for the info guys. Well i don't have a bike yet. The Beerwah State Forest, http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en&tab=wl is about 38 miles from home. About an hours drive. I was going to trailer the bike up and check the trails first for washouts and cliffs. the 310 is a lighter bike, 107 kg versus 112 for the 510. I would still like to throw itr around more like a trail bike than a thumper. If ithe 310 has enough power like you say it does then I would go with it. The only thing that worries me is the less wear and tear using a 510 at lower revs but more grunt. I won't need to speed, as long as the 310 will get me up mountain trails without having to keep changing down gears.

I got the 450 on friday rode it today and I love it.

I test drove the 310 and it seemed to really lug until a certain rpm and then flew like mad.

I decided the 450 had a smoother power band and would be better for me even though it is heavier I think ultimately it will be more versitile.After the in the box mods it really fly's.

I didn't want to have to keep the 310 motor spinning that fast in slow techy situations.

I will not take it on pavement-- just single track and mining roads.

IT is NOT a dual sport it is a race bike with a headlight.

that is my 2 cents

The KLX450R would probably be a awesome bike in the woods but I'm pretty sure it's gonna come so detuned it will feel like a 250. After it's uncorked it would be great though. I would imagine if you don't have the patience to uncork it a 450/510 would be a much better buy. I could be wrong about it being all corked up but I know for a fact that Yamahas WR line comes so detuned they feel like a smaller bike in the power area. The husky fuel injection is spot on if you ask me. The motors feel electric in response. My 250 ran perfect all weekend in 20 degree weather. I was amazed.

The 450 is a much better bike than the 510 for tighter stuff. The big hit off the bottom of the 510 works against you if you ride tighter single track. Been there tried that. The 510 is fantastic for more open stuff where the power does not get in your way.

I would go the TE450. I rode the whole range (including 2 strokes and the TC450) at a husky ride day and the 450 was me pick by a good margin. The 510 was ok (2nd best), you could be very lazy on it. It had so much power and torque down low and it didn't matter what gear it was in it would go up or over anything. However the power signed off early and didn't rev out like the 450 did. You had to short shift it to keep it in the power range. Also, even though the 450 and 510 are the same weight. The 450 felt much lighter, the 510 was very top heavy. The 450 was much better in the tight stuff, much easier to change directions on. The 510 was a real handful when you tried to push it in the tight stuff. I'm sure you would get used to it but the 450 was easier to go fast on.

Riding the TE250 and 310 after riding the bigger bikes was not a good idea for me. They were way too slow and under powered to carry my 200ib around. I was forever changing gears to try and keep them going. the terrain was tight, sandy and hilly and it was a struggle to keep the 310 going in sand, even worse on the hills.

Sorry if i offend anyone, but the kawasaki is not in the same league as the husky, it's a real trail bike not a race bike. The TE 450 has the best engine out of all the 450 offroad bikes. It felt similar to my crf450r.

Try to ride them before you buy. You wouldn't be disapointed with either the 450 or the 510, but for your size, stay away from the 310.

I would go the TE450. I rode the whole range (including 2 strokes and the TC450) at a husky ride day and the 450 was me pick by a good margin. The 510 was ok (2nd best), you could be very lazy on it. It had so much power and torque down low and it didn't matter what gear it was in it would go up or over anything. However the power signed off early and didn't rev out like the 450 did. You had to short shift it to keep it in the power range. .

There must be something odd downunder with the 510 product. My 510 doesn't sign off till it hits the rev limiter and there is no reason what so ever to short shift it unless you are conserving fuel and saving your a$$ from getting hurt.