Sign in to follow this  

"Borrow" a plate?

If You can get your 2002 green sticker bike LEGALLY registered for the street in our great state of California, please share this information with us all. Yes it has a baja kit, DOT tires, miror, etc..:lol:
Nope.

I thought felony meant it was a federal law, which would mean every state. ?????????????????????????????

And I don't see any way it's a felony anywhere. Are there police here responding to this?

I thought felony meant it was a federal law, which would mean every state. ?????????????????????????????

And I don't see any way it's a felony anywhere. Are there police here responding to this?

Its not a felony here in Nevada and I dont think it is anywhere else either, but it is an expensive ticket and definatly gives a cop a reason to tow and impound your ride if they choose to do so.

Felony = State or Federal prison and/or fine.

Misdemeanor = No more than one year in Jail and/or fine.

Infraction = Fine

In California you would be charged with 4462.5 VC if you knowingly display false evidence of registration. It is a Misdemeanor, and I don't think you would receive more than a fine.

4462 (a) The driver of a motor vehicle shall present the registration or identification card or other evidence of registration of any or all vehicles under his or her immediate control for examination upon demand of any peace officer.

(:lol: No person shall display upon a vehicle, nor present to any peace officer, any registration card, identification card, temporary receipt, license plate, device issued pursuant to Section 4853, or permit not issued for that vehicle or not otherwise lawfully used thereon under this code.

4462.5 - Every person who commits a violation of subdivision (:worthy: of Section 4462, with intent to avoid compliance with vehicle registration requirements of Article 1 (commencing with Section 4000) of Chapter 1 or Article 1 (commencing with Section 5600) of Chapter 2, is guilty of a misdemeanor.

Yanni23, no,no,no, bad,bad,bad.

Jeeez, by the time you pay the court fees, impound fees, fine, and insurance rate increase and attorney fees ( if you go that route). Not to mention the 20-40 community service hours you will probably get, and time off work for the court date you would really, really, wish you had just bought a legal DS bike.

Don't ask me how I know this.

I don't think a lot of you know what you are talking about. It's not a felony or even a misdemeanor. It's a traffic citation for "improper registration." Maybe a $100 ticket? IT DOES depend on your state and local government, but I can't see any area making it a felony.

Here in Ohio if you buy a new car you can take the old plate off your old car and put it on the new car--after 30 days you have to transfer the plate to the vehicle via the DMV.

There was a goof at the DMV last time I did this, and I drove for 2 years with a license plate registered to a Ford Explorer(that I sold) on my new F150 before I ever noticed it. During that point of time I received one ticket for speed and someone later that year hit my truck. The law enforcement did not catch the fact that the plate wasn't for my truck. The only way I found out was when I happen to go to the DMV for renewal instead of renewing online like I previous did. The lady at the desk ask if this was for my Explorer. huh? After having a short discussion they fixed the error in 2 seconds.

I would not recommend knowingly using a plate from a different bike on your off road bike...but it you accidentally mixed them up...and IF you got caught...I don't think it would be any issues if you have good conversational skills. Cops aren't looking around to bust people on dual sport bikes.

Just borrow a plate from the same make of bike...Suzuki to Suzuki.......:lol:
Your call entirely, Yanni; but . . . is this an example of the ethical base upon which you run your commercial business?

Just asking.

In Maine the violation is illegal attachment of plates and results in a ticket fine towing and impound. Instead of FTP how about not breaking the law stupid

bottom line....its WRONG!

My bottom line is a little different than yours.

I wouldn't place a value judgement on it.

It's a lot of things (short sighted, reckless, costs more in the long run) but it isn't an issue of right or wrong, especially in our situation here in our over-taxed nanny state.

BTW, has it occured to anyone that we have cops riding around on tax payer purchased $9k KTM 450s and 525s that are barely street legal busting guys like us who can't get our bikes plated?

Talk about right and wrong...

• Like 1

It's a lot of things (short sighted, reckless, costs more in the long run) but it isn't an issue of right or wrong, especially in our situation here in our over-taxed nanny state.
Then, are you fully-justified in evading your taxes, ThunderChicken?

If so, you're in good company; maybe qualified for a Cabinet post in Obama's administration! :lol:

Then, are you fully-justified in evading your taxes, ThunderChicken?

If so, you're in good company; maybe qualified for a Cabinet post in Obama's administration! :lol:

Yeah right, lol.

"Evading taxes" is such a relative term nowadays.

Like most people on this site I pay more than my fair share in taxes and try like hell to not pay a penny more.

Everyone is so serious,someday maybe soon maybe later we are all gonna die. Nobody gets out alive. Dont sweat the petty things,pet the sweaty things. Back in the day i put over 6k miles on an 89 katana 600 that had a swapped plate and no inspection sticker. Hell ive prolly got over 40k miles on 2 wheels and never been pulled over. I prolly will get a licence this spring though.

That's right, the only place for rules is in a knife fight.

Rules

So, when somebody slides in to you on non-DOT knobbies, I want you to get up and yell:

"Ride On, brother, Power To The People"

Everyone is so serious,someday maybe soon maybe later we are all gonna die. Nobody gets out alive. Dont sweat the petty things,pet the sweaty things. Back in the day i put over 6k miles on an 89 katana 600 that had a swapped plate and no inspection sticker. Hell ive prolly got over 40k miles on 2 wheels and never been pulled over. I prolly will get a licence this spring though.

:lol:

Everyday we live in fear or breaking some new law.. The laws are way too restrictive and get even more restrictive every year. What happened to being able to jump on your bike and ride where you want (within reason) and not be treated like a criminal because you don't have a sticker?

How many woman and children have been killed because you rode your dirt bike down the street last weekend?

I really think the law needs to focus on real criminals. Those who are killing, stealing, and distributing drugs--Not someone trying to get to a trails on his dirt bike after a long days of honest work....:worthy:

BTW, has it occured to anyone that we have cops riding around on tax payer purchased $9k KTM 450s and 525s

Around here, I've only seen them on DRZ 400's....:lol:

Indeed! Perhaps California will pull it's head out, and realize how much revenue it could generate by riders that would be willing to pay for not only OHV permits (benefitting trail maintenance) And vechile lic. fees (benefitting senator's appetite for hookers and pizza).

Probably won't happen.:lol: