wr muffler

Has anyone here performed any modifications to the standard wr muffler with positive results? I have read on another posting that some people have drilled holes around the core, or welded on new end caps. Does this help to de-restrict the standard muffler? And what is the procedure for doing this??

The Australian delivered WR's have different spec' mufflers than the US delivered bikes, I think Canadian WR's have the same pipes as Australia, but it would be quicker to fit a YZ muffler, or aftermarket. I picked up a Canadian YZ muffler on Ebay, identical to Australian YZ's for US$41.00. It is lighter, looks better, and produces more power than the WR muffler. Also the noise level is similar until you give it a big handful, then the YZ pipe is considerably louder than stock. Hope this helps.

I disagree. The stock muffler although heavy has proven on the dyno to put out good hp and is evenly spread across the rpm range. No real holes in the delivery of power. Many pipes actually put out less hp in certain areas of the rpm range, i.e. do you want to trade some bottom end for more top end? Most mags have run pipe / dyno tests and in my opinion I wont be spending $400-$500 for a new set up that will only net me 1-2 hp more in only a certain rpm range.

I run my stock pipe with the baffle out and put an end cap, basically a piece of bent muffler tubing, pointing down. They are sound testing us at the cross country events, and this just points the sound downward, with no restriction at all. The sound test says the sound meter is to be a certain distance from the end cap and upward at a 45 degree angle, with my cap it just points it down and away so I pass. Otherwise I tested at 107 last month with a stock pipe.

Now I know there will be many who have added pipes and jetting and indeed have made their bike faster, and I dont doubt it can be done. I however, find myself with my set up to be competitive in the Open Expert class with many other types of bikes.

The reason why i was asking is because at the moment i dont have the money for an aftermarket system, and i had heard of other modifying their stocker. The australian muffler must be different to US as i have no screws that can be removed from the end cap, it is all welded.

Originally posted by CHris PArks:

the best mod you can do with the stock pipe is take it off and put it in your golf bag. it works as a great driver. besides that, it has no use at all.

parx

CHris,CHris,CHris....

I totally disagree with you my friend!!!!!!

The best thing you can do with the stock pipe is to beat it over the head of some tree hugger on the trail!!!!!

Then pretend like you're John Elway and throw it as far as you can.........Like the trash can!!! You don't want to scuff up your Tommy Armours do you??

DL ?

I only say this because I have the Canadian pipe that isn't a spark arrestor and weighs a ton. To me that spells w-o-r-t-h-l-e-s-s.

Some of us aren't in the wealth as much as others and lack of funds is the mother of invention , so we try to improve what we have- nots have. An FMF-Q pipe for my '02 426 is $635.00 Canadian money and that doesn't include a head pipe. So for those of us that can (ENJOY) and the rest of us will do the best we can.

Originally posted by WR Dave:

Some of us aren't in the wealth as much as others and lack of funds is the mother of invention , so we try to improve what we have- nots have. An FMF-Q pipe for my '02 426 is $635.00 Canadian money and that doesn't include a head pipe. So for those of us that can (ENJOY) and the rest of us will do the best we can.

Dave, Im with you. I agree with what you're saying. I was only having a little fun.

I have owned both pipes (US and Canadian). The US model is way less restricted than the Canadian model. My friend bought a complete US exhaust sys on ebay for $40.00usd in new condition. If funds are a factor I would go out and try to find a used US model, their performance is really good. I too would never spend $600.00 for a pipe. Im not made out of money either.. far from it..

DL ?

I removed the stock baffle and then gutted it, cut it off on both sides of the attaching bolt, then I bored that out to 7/8 outside diameter and installed a section of pipe about 6 inches long with a turn down bend on the back end. Then I proceeded to bore the front section (in front of baffle bolt hole)full of 1/8 inch holes throughout the front piece, then I welded a cap on the front end of the pipe and Presto-Changeo, a home made Baja Baffle or Vortip, Was 93 DB two weeks ago at the Prospect Dual Sport. It does'nt sound bad and looks ok for a home made piece but all you see is the turn down tip.Jim