Trail Etiquette- do your part.

Please feel free to proof read this for grammer and spelling and if you think something should be clarified, added or changed, let me know.

"Don't look back for extended periods of time while riding forward, pull to the side if you don't see your buddy or group" didn't seem to make the list but I see it alot and have heard alot of storys of head ons because of this, I got hit head on because of this. I see kids in groups looking back for the adults swerve off the trail or towards on coming riders.

?

The types of people that need to read these guidelines are the riders that only ride a couple times a year, on holiday weekends.

I agree, but it is not just the holiday weekend rider who should heed this advice. Where I usually ride it is A and B riders who ride nearly weekly that can't stay on the trail. Making "A" lines, cutting switchbacks, and riding around tree fall.

The types of people that need to read these guidelines are the riders that only ride a couple times a year, on holiday weekends.

For the most part that's true, but . . .

I have read people say "the people on this site already know this" well there are alot more people reading this site than posting on it too, some thread have just a few responses but thousands of views (This thread for example has 63 post and almost 1500 views). Most any search you do on a search engine regarding dirtbikes is going to find a TT thread at some point, so the hope is that those new or uneducated riders will stumble upon this thread.

Plus it gives good information for us to pass on to riders we ride with that are not on the internet. Again, most is common sense. Having this in the back of your mind next time you are out may help you to think twice before you do or don't do something like clean up someone elses trash or punch that guy doing donuts in the face?:worthy:

I agree this should be a sticky after it is completed and cleaned up.

Try to keep someone with more experience and knowledge in the back of the pack. And don't always make the same guy ride the "sweeper" role, we all want the rail too.

And I agree this thread is mandatory reading in order to deal with the weekend warriors, little tikes, horses?, mules, and might I say quads.

Good thread, most of my gripes or words of wisdom have already been said. But, just to say it again....

1. Pick up your trash, don't be a F#@k'n dirtbag!

2. Slow your ass down around blind corners, other people are riding too!

3. Pack enough to be self contained in the event of flat tire, basic trail side fixes, water, food, etc. KEEP YOUR BIKE MAINTAINED!

4. Don't haul ass and throw roost ANYWHERE near parked cars or parked riders. We know you are a parking lot Expert but we don't want to be roosted and there could be kids putting around, plus you will just look like a fool.

5. Don't burn your own trails

6. Use hand signals to let oncoming riders know how many riders are behind you.

7. No quads or Rhinos on singletrack(can't believe nobody said anything about this one) Sorry Hesher, get a bike! :banghead:

8. And most important dammit.....try to have some fun out there!?:worthy:

What I notice is no matter how much you stress waiting for the rider behind you at trail heads, this is always the rule that get's dropped half way through the day. A riders/B riders/TT riders this is always a issue when I lead or sweep. We always discuss the ride rules but for some reason someone always blows through and doesn't wait. The other things on the list are pretty standard and I find most ''from our group" people follow through with.

Now I don't see what hand guards and rather you have a MX or Enduro bike has to do with trail Etiquette, Trail etiquette is more about having respect for the other riders and the place you ride. Most of the people we ride with all have MX bikes, so your saying they disrespect you if they don't ride the bike of "your" choice rather then the bike they think they are best on. It's more about being able to handle the bike and conditions of the ride at hand.

Most of the time my son rides with the group everyone is like" dude that kid hauls ass" He prefers no hand guards, that's his choice and rather he has handgards or not he is still waiting on you to catch up. So that's bad trail etiquette if he ride's a MX bike with out handgards eventhough most people can't even ride his pace.

The list is nice but make it real, this is starting to look like O Vomits stimulus plan, full of pork. LOL :}

Here's another one for you guys:

...Always take the high-side line around a water bar and don't blow out someone else's hard work.

Someone has put a lot of effort into building these important water diversion structures, they are not to be used as jumps.

BIKEMONSTER

...Always take the high-side line around a water bar and don't blow out someone else's hard work.

Someone has put a lot of effort into building these important water diversion structures, they are not to be used as jumps.

BIKEMONSTER

Could you explain what you mean? I don't follow. Can't picture what you mean.

Sorry Hesher, get a bike! :worthy:

Yamaha doesn't make a plated bike worthy of spending money on, yet. :busted:?

EDIT: Oh yeah, I can't afford it anymore and the future looks grim

Good thread, most of my gripes or words of wisdom have already been said. But, just to say it again....

know how many riders are behind you.

7. No quads or Rhinos on singletrack(can't believe nobody said anything about this one) Sorry Hesher, get a bike! :banghead:

Maybe this should be posted on the ATVTalk.com General Forum when it's completed too.

If the ride plan is an adult ride, don't walk up to the awaiting group, with your 7 year old on a PW80, and ask if he/she could ride along.

"...Can little Doofus ride with us. He has never been to the.....before. I will watch out for him and he is pretty fast on the Briggs&Stratton we picked up at Auto-Zone...."

Good one! And dont assume because there is a girl at camp she wants to watch them!?

The 12yo little girl in our group comes on the bigboy rides. has outperformed more than a few men we met here on TT.

Havn't seen her post much, but maybe in the thumpette forum (Beetlebug)?

13. Prepare you bike properly for the ride and don't bring your pimped out MX bike with no guards or tools of any kind on it to a 100+ miles cross country ride, with your flat bill on and no clue about the size of your muffler bearings. Note: This is intended for squids. If you choose to ride an MX bike with no guards, yet you can run at the front of the pack then do it, otherwise, the FMX ramp is over there

?:worthy:

13. Prepare your bike properly for the ride and don't bring your pimped out MX bike with the stock fuel tank, no tools, your flat bill on sideways and no clue about the size of your muffler bearings to the 100+ mile cross country ride.

BIKEMONSTER

? last time I worked with the hed ranger on the trails he asked me. "When you get to a water bar do you jump it or roll it" Ofcourse I jump it, he said "Good answer":banana:

Ok, bob, I think i got something that you can live with now. I know your issues with the handguards and MX bikes, and I have all the respect in the world for you and your reasons for having or not having handguards. But I think you get the jist of what 13 means.

Gonna put the list in the general forum with a link to this thread.

Thank you, this is awesome. I have a teen that is getting older and will be out riding with buddies and not have Dad along. I am working with them on safety and etiquette, this will be a big help. I asked them if one of them got hurt bad, would the other know how to tell rescuers where to find him? That opened there eyes a lil to safety and map reading.

Awesome tool you have created, thank you.

Steve

The 12yo little girl in our group comes on the bigboy rides. has outperformed more than a few men we met here on TT.

Havn't seen her post much, but maybe in the thumpette forum (Beetlebug)?

I will have to say that one of the girls (young women-20yo) in our group has ridden for many years and it shows. She can throw her over any bike and ride it as if it were her own. She is amazing to watch not because she's a girl, because she's a good rider period! She gives her male cousins a run for their money!

Could you explain what you mean? I don't follow. Can't picture what you mean.

I appologize I didn't make this more clear, refer to photo:

3292275578_0bb9113c17_b.jpg

A well constructed water bar will have an easy line to the high-side, or uphill side. Water flows to the downhill side to the right, riders should roll over the easier uphill side to the left. Jumping the water bar will damage the berm. I hope this clears things up.

BIKEMONSTER