Smart Performance - Dave J does it again!

Had Dave do his magic to my '08 YZ 450, and it's incredible. This is the second time I had him work on it. When it came back the first time I was really impressed with what he did over stock. Over the last 8 months or so my speed has increased, in no small part due to the confidence the suspension gave me. I found that I was getting to the limit of what the suspension could handle at my new found speed, so I called Dave and told him what was going on, he said send it back and he'd take care of everything.

As usual, his turn around time, availability (I think he's never farther than three feet away from the phone? ) and value is unsurpassed. To be honest, I don't even know what he did to it this time - dual del-taco? ICS springs..., I just don't question him, because whatever he does, it works. I do know I'm running his oil, which has made a definite difference in my ability to ride longer with less fatigue.

I've only been able to test the bike on indoor tracks, and the handling is really remarkable. With the new set-up the bike is cornering much better, which has really been my only complaint on the '08 YZ. The bike seems to settle into the corners better and has reduced the bike's slight tendancy to push, allowing me to get on the gas sooner. Straight line, through whoops, the thing really shines. Absolutely soaks up everything in it's path. If I get out of sequence on skimming the tops I can still control the bike without getting tossed. Jumping - the bike is much more forgiving if I don't hit the take off right, and short landings and/or swapped landings are really mellowed out. As I'm coming up short on something in my mind I'm saying "oh sh!t" but then I land and it straightens out smoothly.

I can't say enough good things about Dave J's work. I've tried several other well known suspension shops and they have been hit or miss. My current suspension is far and away the best I've ridden, and it comes at great value and top notch customer service:thumbsup: For anyone considering getting suspension work done, search this site for reviews on Dave's work and then give him a try. I can't believe you would be disappointed.

Had Dave do his magic to my '08 YZ 450, and it's incredible. This is the second time I had him work on it. When it came back the first time I was really impressed with what he did over stock. Over the last 8 months or so my speed has increased, in no small part due to the confidence the suspension gave me. I found that I was getting to the limit of what the suspension could handle at my new found speed, so I called Dave and told him what was going on, he said send it back and he'd take care of everything.

As usual, his turn around time, availability (I think he's never farther than three feet away from the phone? ) and value is unsurpassed. To be honest, I don't even know what he did to it this time - dual del-taco? ICS springs..., I just don't question him, because whatever he does, it works. I do know I'm running his oil, which has made a definite difference in my ability to ride longer with less fatigue.

I've only been able to test the bike on indoor tracks, and the handling is really remarkable. With the new set-up the bike is cornering much better, which has really been my only complaint on the '08 YZ. The bike seems to settle into the corners better and has reduced the bike's slight tendancy to push, allowing me to get on the gas sooner. Straight line, through whoops, the thing really shines. Absolutely soaks up everything in it's path. If I get out of sequence on skimming the tops I can still control the bike without getting tossed. Jumping - the bike is much more forgiving if I don't hit the take off right, and short landings and/or swapped landings are really mellowed out. As I'm coming up short on something in my mind I'm saying "oh sh!t" but then I land and it straightens out smoothly.

I can't say enough good things about Dave J's work. I've tried several other well known suspension shops and they have been hit or miss. My current suspension is far and away the best I've ridden, and it comes at great value and top notch customer service:thumbsup: For anyone considering getting suspension work done, search this site for reviews on Dave's work and then give him a try. I can't believe you would be disappointed.

Yea...dual spring Dell Taco, dual spring ICS (EPNP) some clover shim stuff and the the usual 215.VM2.K5....that was it.

His previous set-up was the single spring Dell Taco and a slight change to the ICS. Same fluid. Ye old days.

I made some changes to the shock this time as well to help keep it planted down. I can post his build sheet if anyone wants to check it.

It's relatively easy to get these things really good.

And I was forced to turn it around quick given that he has access to an indoor track and won't allow me to use the "it's snowing" excuse.

Yea...dual spring Dell Taco, dual spring ICS (EPNP) some clover shim stuff and the the usual 215.VM2.K5....that was it.

His previous set-up was the single spring Dell Taco and a slight change to the ICS. Same fluid. Ye old days.

I made some changes to the shock this time as well to help keep it planted down. I can post his build sheet if anyone wants to check it.

It's relatively easy to get these things really good.

And I was forced to turn it around quick given that he has access to an indoor track and won't allow me to use the "it's snowing" excuse.

Hi Dave!

Build sheet would be very interesting to look at.

//Henric

As usual, his turn around time, availability (I think he's never farther than three feet away from the phone :worthy: ) and value is unsurpassed. To be honest, I don't even know what he did to it this time - dual del-taco? ICS springs..., I just don't question him, because whatever he does, it works. I do know I'm running his oil, which has made a definite difference in my ability to ride longer with less fatigue.

this is why i gave Dave a call today? very nice guy to talk to btw. hopefully he can work his magic on my yz. will definitely post results

Great review of Daves work. Its those type of comments that let me to contact him about my suspension.

I am hoping to post my own review of Daves work on my 2001 yz250 this monday. I'm going to do some light testing on Saturday and then I'll really test at the national hare n hound in the desert on Sunday.

Lets hope that the rocks are kind to me. I'm also looking forward to more favorable encounters with those larger rocks and go-outs that I can't seem to avoid.

I'm excited!

Hi Dave

I just uppdated my DT to DDT (yz250f-06 fork) on my wr450f-07. the only shim i didn`t have was the two 11.25 clamp on the mid , i used two 11,3 instead -how much different does that do? 0,1mm more pretension(i don`t find the right word) on the springs?

The only testing i have done is in 1-1,5 feet deep loose snow so it was hard to tell, but i feels great so far i can tell../Henric

sorry for hijacking the tread

Are these mods something l can do myself only because im too far to send my stuff in... u guys are killin me i want the Dave J magic (Toronto).... HELP LOL

You can purchase just the parts if you want. There is nothing that we put into our bikes that we don't offer to someone that wants to do the work themselves.

The only thing we do in the shop, that is often not done by the DIY, is to port the pistons and run some tests on the springs. But I have posted some threads on piston porting.

Attached.

Thanks - I needed that, not for exact shim stack information, but just to get an idea of how it all fits together.

Now, in very general terms, what part of the rear shock stack should be worked on if the high-speed compression dampening needs to be reduced (my bike tries to throw me over the handlebars at log crossings, so, I'm guessing this is the cause).

Any input or general comments would be greatly appreciated.

ztangoKLK

Are you sure it's compression and not rebound.? How is it kicking you over? Does the shock have a dead feel by any chance and does it kick straight or side to side?

If you have the stack handy it would help to get an idea of what you have.

I don't have the shim stack - I had the shock professionally re-valved once, and it's better, but I may tinker further on my own. I don't know if I would describe the shock feel as "dead" as works pretty good over a wide variety of conditions. The rebound is cranked up about to about 3/4s of its adjustment and the bike tracks nicely through whoops. When I back off the rebound, everything just gets much worse. As it is set up now, the main problem is hitting big steps, logs and square edges (even at fairly low speeds), the rear-end kicks up (straight) and then things really start to get out of shape. FWIW, the bike is a 2006 Husqvarna WR 250 with a Sachs shock.

Thanks in advance for any pointers you can provide.