Looking at buying a DRZ

My local dealer has a 2006 DRZ400S on consignment. It is bone stock with 600 miles. Asking price is $4000. What do you guys think? I've checked the west coast on Craigslist and it looks like a decent price. I'm new to TT and really want to get a dual sport. The 400 seems like it would fit my needs better than a 650.

This is just for information, to help you decide, but I just purchased a 2005 S with less than 100 miles for $2500. Best of luck on your new ride?

Thats a hell of a price. I'd be worried they took off the speedo cluster early for a vapor or something then threw it back on when it came time to sell.

Check the Portland Craigslist. You can find them all day long asking $3600 adn you can usually talk them down a bit. 5 months ago I bought a 2005 DRZ 2900miles with corbin seat, case savers, suzuki stock luggage rack, and suzuki stock skid plate for $3400.00. Be Patient you can find one with some options on it. However, 600miles and $4000.00 is a good deal you might be able to talk them to the $3600 you see online.

VOLX

I wouldn't pay too much of a premium for the low miles. I did and I don't think it's worth it. Last year I paid $3200 for my 02 w/ 600 miles. It was showroom clean. My thinking was I'm getting a virtually new bike for a lot less than new. Really, I was just paying about $500-700 extra for the low miles since I could have found numerous 2002ish DRZs w/ about 3K miles for probably 2500-2700.

So you pay that premium, but in two months you've racked up 2500 miles and added a minor scuff or two. Now your $4000 bike is like every other 06 DRZ with 3000 miles and a couple scuffs (that can be bought for $3000-3500). So is that two months of low mileage ownership worth $500-1000?

In short, a perfect 2006 DRZ w/ 600 miles is basically the same as a real clean 06 DRZ w/ 3000 miles. And in 6 months, they'll be exactly the same - so why pay much extra? There are so many motorcycles out there being sold that were hardly ridden there is no incentive to pay much of a premium for a clean one - just move on to the next one.

But if you really want it - you'll enjoy it either way. I'm not beating myself up too much for the one I bought. I really like it and have been enjoying it. I just would have shopped differently. Good luck.

The beauty of low mileage is that the bike has only been ridden by an unknown person for a limited amount of time. It hasn't had a chance to be ridden abusively or not maintained. Your paying for the guarantee that these things haven't happened. Otherwise your right no one would pay $1000 for just a couple thousand miles.

You are in the ballpark. If it looks good and you have the 4k it will be a great bike. I always try to get a little off until I risk

PO'ing the guy.

Would you feel better at $3500? Ask if he will take it only way to know.

Either way, you have a great bike and a great site to support you.

Post and let us know how it goes.

Thanks guys, you have some good points which is why I asked. Yes, I like the idea that someone only had 600 miles in which they could have abused it. On the other hand, I will rack up some miles and scratch it up in short order so it won't be a low mile beauty for long. I have seen some with lots of $$ in extras that were priced really low. Thankfully I am in no hurry so I will wait a few weeks and see if it's still there before I talk to the guy.

By the way, the dealer told me they just received a new black '09 S that is listed at $5900. Hmmmm.....