Anyone want to tell me a bit about the 250SXF?

Im selling my 2004 CRF250 because it has a few minor problems here and there, and there is probably close to 300 hours on the bottom, and i really dont want to blow it. anyways, im not here to gripe about my Honda. I was going to get an KTM XC250 (2t) but I don't have much experience on 2 strokes, and i love the power of a 250F, just the way you can pull it down to idle and then with a whack of the throttle take off. So sticking with the KTM theme, i was looking at some newer 250 SXF's... and man do they look enticing

But i was wondering how the maintenance is on them? like i don't race every week end, just once in a while with my friends after school. What's the top end expectancy? do the valves go out of them very fast? How much would a rebuild cost compared to a CRF250? Suspension good? i just cant believe im looking at 4 stroke again :worthy: I spent over 1/3 the cost of my CRF rebuilding it 4 months after i got it, and i really dont want that to happen again! So if someone could either talk me into a 4 stroke or out of it, it would be great? its painful having the fence post up the ass :banghead:

i have a 2007 250 sxf and the only fault i have encountered is starting it when hot,hopefully ive rectified this problem now ,but apart from that no problems whats so ever ,but there are plenty of threads on here to steer you in the right direction good luck

Yea i have found lots of good info on here. I got another quick question though. I have read a few threads about where a KTM had a manufacturing defect and the engine blew and KTM paid for it to be fixed, i was wondering how long that lasts? Im looking at an 08 with 46 hours on it and just wondered if KTM would cover it if it blew just after i got it?

the only defect ive witnessed is the gas cap leaking and the dealer replaced that (not on mine as i put a sxs one on my self )and my ktm dealer told me they were having problems with the spark plug cap (07 ) ,dont know enough to tell you about 08s tho may be different defects with the european bikes as i live in england

The manufacturing defects that KTM has had will be noticed pretty soon. So a bike that has 46h in it would've already had it's problems if it was caused by poor manufacturing. Quite sure KTM wouldn't cover anything.

As far as the 250f goes, they are pretty solid machines. Just do the maintenance as the manual tells you to or let the professionals do it if you can't and thing will work just fine. I don't really think KTM's motor has a lot of power in the lower revs as much in the top or middle. There's no point comparing the torque of a high revving 250f and 250 smoker since they are pretty close. If you don't have a lot of money to spend, I'd go with the 2-stroke.Buying and maintaining one is a lot cheaper.

Yea the maintenance is allot, but i don't think its really much cheeper unless it blows up. Im just so used to the 4 stroke power im a little hesitant to switch over just incase i don't like it, and i don't know anyone that has a 250 2t that i can ride? I can get the 2008 KTM250 SXF for 2 Grand ontop of my trade for my 2004 CRF250 (aka valve eater), which is a pretty good deal in Ontario. It needs new fork seals and sprocket though, but since i get discounts on parts and free labour it wont be an issue getting that fixed. How long does the top and bottom end usually last in a KTM? This is the bike im looking at getting. http://www.hullygully.com/PreOwnedProductShowroom/tabid/75/Default.aspx

I just dont want another bike that im going to worry about riding because the valve could go at any moment...

You shouldnt have valve problems, i checked mine two days ago and they still havent moved and they had 85.5 hours on them, and i ride that bike like its intended. In my owners manual shows the piston should last 80 hrs for the 250f. Only problem i had was my 07 was an early 07 and had one of the faulty third gears and it blew up on me at 45 hours during the start of a mx race.

These bikes are awesome, and the 08's are nicer, they got the aluminum shock, wrap around fork guards, and a slightly different borexstroke i believe.

In my opinion the SXF has the most reliable valve train in any offroad motorcycle. It is not a cam over bucket like most bikes but a finger follower system. This set up is like many F1 cars have.

Instead of the cam riding on the bucket directly over the valve. It has a finger attached to a pivot over the valve and the cam rides on top of that. Therefore the side load common to cam over bucket style is absorbed by the finger follower. This takes much load off of the valve train.

I have seen a few rods break in half at the big end causing catostrophic failure. This was after a million hours. This isnt so bad considering our full mod RMZ's were good for about 10-12 hours before needing to be freshened up.

We were one of the few that broke frames on the 07 models. Since the first break which was a total disconnection of head stay from the frame I gusseted every bike since. We are not gusseting 09's and havent had an issue.

The sxf is the most reliable 4t mx bike we have ever had.

get rid of that junk honda immediatly. i had an 04 for 2 months and my valves became fried. i sold it and got a 06 sxf and ive had it for about a year now and didnt have to do any engine work yet. its the fastest most reliable 250f out there. and did i mention they look awesome stock!

Alright, so when the KTM's need rebuilt, how much more is it for valves and pistons and such compared to the jap bikes? (mainly hona because i know what it costs to rebuild one of them ?) Really thinking of going 2t just for the cheapness, i dont have allot to spend on oil and rebuilding it...