Sign in to follow this  

04 cr 250 loosing oil?

I have a 2004 cr 250 that seems to be using trans oil. I noticed it before I went riding, as I always check all fluids. I topped of the trans and went riding. When I got home I checked the oil level and sure enough it was low. I have also noticed in the past, that when I have changed the oil and have let the bike sit for a period of time the oil level also gets goes lower. However, the bike does not smoke abnormally. So I have some questions.

It’s got to be the crank seal right?

Is it weird the bike leaks when it’s just sitting?

If it’s the crank seal, shouldn't the bike smoke while it’s running?

Will the oil leaking into the engine cause any damage?

Is this a common problem?

Has anyone else had this problem on a 04?

I have a 2004 cr 250 that seems to be using trans oil. I noticed it before I went riding, as I always check all fluids. I topped of the trans and went riding. When I got home I checked the oil level and sure enough it was low. I have also noticed in the past, that when I have changed the oil and have let the bike sit for a period of time the oil level also gets goes lower. However, the bike does not smoke abnormally. So I have some questions.

It’s got to be the crank seal right?

Is it weird the bike leaks when it’s just sitting?

If it’s the crank seal, shouldn't the bike smoke while it’s running?

Will the oil leaking into the engine cause any damage?

Is this a common problem?

Has anyone else had this problem on a 04?

Just a quick question... how do you know its losing oil? This bike only have a bolt to check the level, not a glass, so how do you knoe its dropping? Remembe that when you fill it and it flows out the level check bolt there's probably some air bubbles, and areas yet to be filled in the cases, so wehen you screw the bolt back in the level can continue to drop a little... i've noticed this with mine.

If you're sure its losing oil though..

Either the crank seal or the main gasket between the cases. Probably crank seal.

Don't know how it could be losing oil just from sitting... unless there's a pool of oil under the bike, or the centre gasket is leaking and oil is getting into the crank, but then it'd smoke like mad when you first started it.

If a leak in the crank seal was only small you wouldn't notice much more smoke than normal.

Oil getting into the engine will cause damage... the transmission oil reacts with the nikasil and over time it will deteriorate faster.

Yes, leaking crank seals do happen from time to time.

If you're in doubt replace it anyway... its not that hard if you have the right tools.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the reply, and you make a good point about the air bubbles. I do check the level using the bolt. It just seems to be using more oil than that (air bubbles). I just bought the bike a two weeks ago. I guess i will just ride it and keep a close eye on it. Anymore suggestion, anyone?