Friend Seriously injured at MX track

I am sorry to hear about yur friend, my prayers with thier family. I am glad to hear, it sounds like he will able to walk again. I broke my back a month and a half ago T3-T5 and i was fortunate enough not to have damaged my spinal cord. I was also knocked out and when i came to i could not move my right leg. I regained full movement since then through physical therepy to the point I will be running next week. I truely believe that your friend WILL walk again and up to him, even ride again. It took me a while to decide i would get back on but i'm young and dumb ? I am really glad to hear about all of his progress and I hope it continues.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad to hear that your friend is doing better. It's hard to understand how he crashed. Did he endoed after landing on his rear wheel like coming up short then back end kicked him over the bars? Not sure how this could happen on the table top. I'm not implying that he did not ride right but just want to learn from his mistake if there was any. It must have been a freak accident where no one can learn from.

Please continue to report his progress and I'll keep him in my prayers.

Jarrod is an experienced rider and has made that jump look easy hundreds of times. It may have been some strange combination of things that made him land wrong. Sooner or later we all end up dumping some dirt out of our helmet and wondering "how the heck did that happen"? His body just hit the ground in a very bad position. He is making good progress and I expect that to speed up once some more healing takes place. On the parrallel bars yesterday with assistance to keep his legs straight he managed to move 140 feet before they made him stop (the goal was 20 feet). Not actually walking, but getting better response from his upper legs. Just 9 days since the crash. Tim

Neck brace has my vote! I had a Leatt on back order when I broke my thoracic bones, things might have been different if I would have had it. Funny thing is it showed up one of my first days home from the hospital ?

I dont understand why more people dont wear them?

I like hearing updated, keep us informed...

Jarrod is going home today (March 13th) and has scheduled in-home therapy sessions to continue until he can more eaisily travel to facilities. He is continuing to get better as the damage heals. It will be three weeks tomorrow since the crash. His excercise has included taking steps with assistance on parallel bars, pedaling a stationary bike from his chair, and various others. He continues to have a very positive outlook and has even kept his sense of humor through all of this. I'll keep you all posted after he gets home. Tim

It's Jarrod... I would like to say thank you to all that have responded to Tim's thread.. the support has been amazing.. and I am so grateful..Tim has been an amazing friend through out all of this.. Thank you buddy...

The Crash... I turned out of the berm towards the jump... A simple Table top.. One i do no footers on occasionally.. and i saw the face of the jump to be rutted.. I found a clean spot at the far right of the face.. hit the jump.. and it kicked my rear tire up... like jumps do when there is a lip on them.. I grabbed a handful of throttle and my bike must have kick out of gear.. I felt my feet leave the pegs.. If only i had squeezed the bike with my knees..

Next thing i know I am on my back.. cant move my legs..?

The road to recover has been alot of things.. Amazing to awful... Best and worst days of my life.. I have movement in both legs.. i can stand.. with my new thor Force knee braces.. ( never used on the track).. I am home.. getting my Dr. appts worked out.. I have in home therapy now.. But.. 90% of my rehab is up to me.. I should be going out patient rehab soon.. In my heart I know 100% I will walk.. I want a 100% recovery...

some thoughts for my fellow Riders... I loved this sport with everything.. I ride with my 9 year old son.. we have skipped dinner to afford a new pipe..:usa: we both loved it so much.. please.. get that neck brace.. I didn't have one.. its worth it.. I promise.. oh... I am sure if my bike was fuel injected this would not have happened:smirk: so get that fuel injeced bike..

for my wife's sake .. I am not going to ride again.. but i sure will miss it..

You all have been very supportive.. THANK YOU!!! Thank you Tim!!!

for my wife's sake .. I am not going to ride again.. but i sure will miss it..

I've said that every time I've got hurt. Sell the bike and... within six months I have another one, heh. I just can't stay off a bike although I have no intentions of riding hardcore MX anymore, mainly trail riding and some light MX (no big jumps or pushing hard). When you recover, you'll be back on a bike, trust me, been there, done that, lol. ?

• 2 weeks later...