xr supermoto

I decided to go the sumo route when I realized that I was spending 99% of my time on road commuting. Thought about lacing up the stocks, but then decided to hold out and search around a bit. Saw an auction of flea-bay for a behr front excel rear laced up to rad hubs. Decided not to bid, then after the reserve wasn't hit the guy advertised them on Craigslist so I low balled him and he took my offer. Tires were okay on them, have since replaced the rear once but I put 5k on the bike last summer. Now just working on some cosmetics. Love the bike in sumo form, just a blast to ride. I also traded in my custom seat which never worked as well as I wanted, have a saddlemen gel seat all ready to go, just waiting to staple the cover on. Plus I have played a bit with gearing and have worked down to 16-44, still enough low end punch and awsome on the highway when cruising! All in all the L makes a great commuter sumo bike, plus it has the ability to do some decent adventure touring type riding and with a decent set of sm wheels can do just fine off road for light duty. The thing is there are many sets of wheels out there, just keep your eyes open. I got mine for under $700 and bolted em right on and went for a ride!

Tim

I bought one already built:xr650l3.jpg

17" sun rims w/ Avon Distanzias- not in the pic

Acerbis fenders and headlight and handguards

Supermoto engineering sliders

IMS footpegs

gold x-ring chain and sprockets

Clark 4.7 gal tank

tusk aluminum gas cap

Stainless steel brake lines

sintered front brake pads

LED turn signals and brake lights

K&N filter

Full exhaust system

AM triple clamps

SRC fork brace

rebuilt forks for SM

neoprene fork seal savers

XR's only tool bag

XR's only oil temp dipstick

XR's only magnetic drain plugs

Pro Taper handlebars

custom mirrors - not in pic

These bikes are very fun!

Who here has turned the XR650L into a canyon carver. WHERE TO GET 17" WHEELS. Do any sportbike rims fit? Many questions I have.

Here's a pic of my '06 XRL Sumo:

MySumoWHeaderBack.jpg

I went with East Coast Wheels for the the wheels. The wheels consist of a set of gold Talon hubs laced to a set of silver Excel rims riding on Contiforce SM tires. The whole setup including a rear sprocket, SM front fender and rotors ran me around $1700 Canadian.

You can see some more pics of the other Sumo mods I've done in my Garage (including a dual headlight setup with a Buell bug screen). :worthy:?

• 1 month later...

help!!! i know yall get this alot i a new member ,but i have some brain damage can someone send me a step by step on how to mod my xr650l to a sm i would like to go with the 600 wheels itseems ez to get but the rest is the hard part thanks guy for your help