Sign in to follow this  

2 stroke exhaust?

From stock to aftermarket exhaust, does it really add any performance?(not the pipe) or does it just increase flow and quiet it down a bit?

What im concerned about is i have the stock 2003 exhaust on my bike, and would it more beneficial to get carb/engine work or an exhaust like an fmf stealth for the $200

so if they shift power around also that would possibly make my pipe hit sooner or farther?

so you guys would say to get a new silencer/exhaust whatever its called and it would add some performance well worth the $200?

what would u guys recommend as a cheap good better than stock exhaust?

and just a fyi im talking about whatever this part is, Not the pipe..

photo12345.jpg

Have you ever repacked it?

have you messed with the jetting?

so if they shift power around also that would possibly make my pipe hit sooner or farther?

so you guys would say to get a new silencer/exhaust whatever its called and it would add some performance well worth the $200?

what would u guys recommend as a cheap good better than stock exhaust?

and just a fyi im talking about whatever this part is, Not the pipe..

photo12345.jpg

Thats the silencer :lol:

Have you ever repacked it?

have you messed with the jetting?

i am a kid, and got this bike in july for vurry cheap, the bike runs very good i have no complaints, its jetted accordingly to the conditions, and i have never taken off my exhaust/silencer whatever it is, or repacked it. I just got a comment that i should get an new exhaust, and i wasnt sure if it even makes a difference.....

Thats the silencer :lol:

and basically the silencer doesnt do anything performance wise but just quieting it down? my stock 300 is quieter than a buddies kx250 with a pro circuit on it or somethin..

Thats the muffler, or silencer. I don't think you would gain anything by going with an aftermarket spark arrestor muffler other than maybe losing a little bit of weight.

But if you replaced it with a straight through muffler, one that isnt a spark arrestor, then you would gain some power but then you couldn't ride it legally in the woods.

If you are a kid I'd suggest you spend your $ on more riding time.

That said, I guarantee that what you have there is a restrictive muffler and there is some hp improvement to be had by replacing that thing w/ the downside being more noise and your now lighter wallet.

Have you played with the power valve springs?

doing that will change where the bike makes power.

If you are a kid I'd suggest you spend your $ on more riding time.

That said, I guarantee that what you have there is a restrictive muffler and there is some hp improvement to be had by replacing that thing w/ the downside being more noise and your now lighter wallet.

oh ok, i have two jobs, just gettin money right now, and was thinking about doing a few small things to the bike to get it goin a bit better, but with say 200$ what would be the best thing to improve, new silencer, new tire(like $70), maybe a steering stabilizer, and some carb work maybe to get some more top end? im leaning toward, tire, carb, silencer, then stabilizer

and if i do end up getting a new silencer what would u all recommend to get

as for power valves, i have never taken off my pipe and or checked the power valve springs from red, yellow, green etc but i am pretty happy with where my pipe hits and the tires spin, i have shorter geared mx bike and the pipe hits probably 1/2 to 3/4th trough the gear, and its fine for my riding style.

Rear tire and a new muffler would be my choice, butt that's me.

help me out for a good cheap exhaust, and is the trials tire worth tryin out if i ride trails, hills, forests, and sometimes sandy areas? or would reg knobby be best

You will be hard pressed to get a better pipe and silencer than KTMs come with stock. The silencer you have is very good at quieting the bike without loosing power, just repack it. If it is a stock pipe it is a good all around pipe for power but it is thin. The PC 2 platnum pipe works good on a 300, The FMF Fatty is a good choice also. CJ

You will be hard pressed to get a better pipe and silencer than KTMs come with stock. The silencer you have is very good at quieting the bike without loosing power, just repack it. If it is a stock pipe it is a good all around pipe for power but it is thin. The PC 2 platnum pipe works good on a 300, The FMF Fatty is a good choice also. CJ

yea i do have a fatty pipe, just with stock silencer..

ill look into repacking and might get something like a fmf turinecore2

BTW what does the packing do? just quiet it down? if i wanted to could i take the packing out and be good? or is it a part you really need

It creates enough back pressure for your bike to run good, never ever remove it. Your bike will run like crap.

It creates enough back pressure for your bike to run good, never ever remove it. Your bike will run like crap.

ok perfect, well my stock one is all rivets, so i am not going to mess with it, but how can i clean spooge out of my pipe and silencer?

Should be bolts in it. Most likely hex head/allen wrench towards the side closest to the motor.