Anyone's kids practicing tricks?

My son started to throw little whips on hi 65 last summer at age 8 - that was the beginning....we're under a bit of snow from November til March so there is little to no riding, however, the couch is getting a workout and he now has the Indian Air down perfect along with a few others both on the couch and on his 65 whilst it's sitting on the stand.

Just wondering what your kids are trying to kill themselves with....

Mine repeatedly tries to kill himself.

The most memorable incident left him with a bolt-shaped burn scar on his inner calf.

I got real nervous when he dragged some skids home from the construction site near our house. In no time flat he was building a pretty shaky looking ramp using finishing nails.

Those skids were quickly turned into fireplace sized scrap, stacked neatly.

He took his mom's dual sport around the neighborhood once (with permission, I didn't see too much harm.) He was told to go slow and be cautious.

Well, he comes back and tells us he had the bike up to 60 mph. He's not allowed to ride that any more, even in the back yard.

He's desperately trying to figure out how to ride a wheelie at the moment.

It runs in the family, his mom told me last night she figured out how to pop a wheelie on her bike.

Little sister likes to ride around standing up the whole time... she's a real daredevil.

just make it mandatory to wear neck braces.

...and go to academy and get them one of those soft plastic mouth guards that you soak in warm water then put in your mouth to fit to your teeth.

most anything else can be fixed with a cast.

good luck!

I forgot to mention that not only was the ramp shaky looking, nailed together with finishing nails, it also had to be as high as possible. At least a 35* angle (cause that was the longest boards he could find to nail on, 1/2 X 4 or so of course). End of ramp height was about 3' off the ground.

The base of the ramp was 4" or so off the ground, this means more 1/2X4 nailed to the base, but only one, cause you can always hit a 4" wide mark with your front tire, right?

you gotta love the engineering skills of our youth! Reminds me of the 6" wide tree boardwalk the neighbourhood kids built in a forest right next to my place over the course of a summer - went from ground level up to about 20 feet off the ground, all around the trees through the forest, back down onto a teeter totter that was 10 feet up at the axis! and about 40 feet long!! - all for mountain biking - talk about a death trap!!!

I quickly discouraged my son from using lumber and skids (we also have a pile for bonfires) the first (and only) time he tried building one by "trying" it with my WR - well, the 250LB bike with 180LB me on it took one run and turned his ramp into kindling without leaving the ground. :lol::worthy::banghead:

Now - all stunts outside of wheelies (which he is allowed to doat home) are to be done at the club track on proper jumps.

I remember watching last year, first ride of the season. He's coming up to a jump, and all of a sudden I see this:

cody.jpg

Asked him about it and he said "yeah, I figured I would be able to do that so I just went for it". He is not the kind of kid to bust off tricks like that so I damn near fell over but it looked so cool. :p

Is that a TTr90?

Is that a TTr90?

YZ85. He has outgrown that though, and is moving up to a 125 this year.

4th season, 4th bike...

So he's a little bigger than PeeWee. I was gonna say, that looks like a lot of air for a 90, especially since he's pulling tricks on it, need more air than a 90 could handle.

He was pretty tired this particular night when I stopped riding and got the camera out, he actually didn't even want me to film because he said he wasn't up to hitting it hard anymore, BUT - It's all I got over the summer so here he is in his pre stunt days - last summer - just turned 9 - had been riding for a year, this table top starts about 25 feet beyond where you see the dirt end - he likes to over jump it (heck - I do too - nice long downhill transition with slight left) - usually pulls about 50 feet on it - this particular one was probably about 40 or so.

Last year I put a new progressive rear spring on his KTM Senior. As I was watching him, I noticed him coming off the jumps a little sideways, then a lot sideways, then landing nearly crossed up. I figured he must not be used to the shock, or the sag is incorrect or something. Then he comes off the track and tells me how well the spring works, he can land sideways and not crash. Great, he was doing it on purpose, I liked it better when he went off the face straight.

Frankie has been practicing whips since he was 6 on his KLX 110 (some pics are reposts)

100_2050.jpg?t=1236125315

No footer

102_2827.jpg?t=1236125449

Endo's

102_2381.jpg?t=1236125494

And of course, wheelies

102_2376-1.jpg?t=1236125688

youve got a talented son there.

what's the plan for little frankie?? mx...? road...? stunt...? or just for fun...?

Nice. I can barely do that stuff on a BMX bike. The brain says "200lb rider under 350lb bike = pain" and that's all the farther it goes.

Props on the mini-motard, almost looks like it was made that way.

So he's a little bigger than PeeWee. I was gonna say, that looks like a lot of air for a 90, especially since he's pulling tricks on it, need more air than a 90 could handle.

Yeah now he is, at 12 and a half he is already 5-4 and 130, hence the move to a 125.

The thing is, this is a kid who almost didnt' ride at all. When I put him on a friend's chinese 50 at age 9 he crashed in the first minute and almost didn't get back on. But did, and had his own XR70 a few days later. To see him doing no footers just two years later was GREAT. To know that I had something to do with that kind of growth was really cool.

youve got a talented son there.

what's the plan for little frankie?? mx...? road...? stunt...? or just for fun...?

Just fun, what ever he want's to do,we'll go do some mini motard in the next couple of weeks before the MX season here starts, then switch to racing MX for the summer.

Nice. I can barely do that stuff on a BMX bike. The brain says "200lb rider under 350lb bike = pain" and that's all the farther it goes.

Props on the mini-motard, almost looks like it was made that way.

I try to "stunt" with him (anything more then wheeling and I'm out of my realm) The mini motard is a cool little machine, we have switched back to the green plastics.

Yeah now he is, at 12 and a half he is already 5-4 and 130, hence the move to a 125.

The thing is, this is a kid who almost didnt' ride at all. When I put him on a friend's chinese 50 at age 9 he crashed in the first minute and almost didn't get back on. But did, and had his own XR70 a few days later. To see him doing no footers just two years later was GREAT. To know that I had something to do with that kind of growth was really cool.

what part of NY are you from?