The Start of my 250 Project

Hello there everyone, Im new here ThumperTalk so i figured Id start out by showing you what im working with.

Ive been riding for roughly 10 years and just now got a 250

This is what I got

yz250001.jpg

yz250003.jpg

yz250002.jpg

yz250004.jpg

yz250009.jpg

Yes this is the transmission... parts of it anyways. The kid that had it seized up the top end, he thought he could get it to break loose by pulling it down the road and trying to pop start it. needless to say something broke, it rounded first gear right off the main drive axle and cracked the case!!! IDIOT

yz250006.jpg

It does have a nice FMF fatty and shorty though....

yz250008.jpg

This bike was riden hard and put away wet! Besides the motor the rear shock is blown out. I have several parts on order for the bike but im mainly looking for a complete motor or even the bottom end of a 02-05 yz 250.

Although this bike is a wreck. i picked it up by trading on old snowmobile worth about $250 if that, so im not complaining so far.

Ill keep you updated on the progress

let me know what you think!:lol:

Pics aren't showing bud...

Pics aren't showing bud...

Howa' Bout now?

yeah they work now good luck:thumbsup:

oh also you can puter water in the pipe and freeze it an dyou can take the dents out which will help with power

oh also you can puter water in the pipe and freeze it an dyou can take the dents out which will help with power

OK thanks for the advice. i know some people pressurise their pipes and heat the dented area but the it blues the pipe and looks like hell.

thanks!

OK thanks for the advice. i know some people pressurise their pipes and heat the dented area but the it blues the pipe and looks like hell.

thanks!

This might interest you, a paintless dent repair

http://www.flixxy.com/paintless-dent-car-repair.htm

This might interest you, a paintless dent repair

http://www.flixxy.com/paintless-dent-car-repair.htm

That is very interesting actually... i might have to give this a try, i wonder what it does for the structural integrity of the metal though? i guess we'll find out

Thanks

That is very interesting actually... i might have to give this a try, i wonder what it does for the structural integrity of the metal though? i guess we'll find out

Thanks

i took that to the extreme and used dry ice. didnt work, though i did not heat it up, but it was a semi-warm day out. car body metal is way thinner then pipe metal. you can try using a torch and then dry ice and let me know, but simply compressed air and a hair dryer will not work on aftermarket pipes since they are a little thicker.

Welcome to thumpertalk. Sounds like a fun project even though it might take a bit of money. I know you are probably not worried about the looks of the bike right now, but getting the frame repainted or powdercoated would look good, along with a black rim in the front too. Keep us posted on the project.

i took that to the extreme and used dry ice. didnt work, though i did not heat it up, but it was a semi-warm day out. car body metal is way thinner then pipe metal. you can try using a torch and then dry ice and let me know, but simply compressed air and a hair dryer will not work on aftermarket pipes since they are a little thicker.

Sorry, i meant that they used a torch and compressed air. i realize that a hair dryer wolnt be enough.

Ill let you know how i make out

Dang nice bike , Great deal !!

What's with the black engine? Great deal BTW. That shock won't be cheap but maybe you find a surplus one from a F bike here on the TT classifieds.

Oooh, the whole bike project thing is so fun. Keep us updated on your progress!

What's with the black engine? Great deal BTW. That shock won't be cheap but maybe you find a surplus one from a F bike here on the TT classifieds.

I dont know, the kid that had it decided to paint to motor. It doesnt look to bad though once it is in the bike.

I dont know, the kid that had it decided to paint to motor. It doesnt look to bad though once it is in the bike.

I can say from experience that the Duplicolor Aluminum-colored paint isn't really all that good, at least in my opinion.

I shot my power valve covers yesterday and my RAD Valve cage, and I am not really happy with the results.

If I had it to do over again, I think I'd just get the engine media blasted and be done with it.

I do, however, like the black engine on yours. I think it matches the color scheme pretty well. :lol:

I read an article on here explaining this. The water freezing is for the 4 strokers pipes ONLY due to the fact of how the pipe is designed. if you do this for the 2 stroke it will blow out the welds. There is a great article in the maintenance section ( i think) that explains this... i was really surprised and never thought that it would screw up the 2 stroke pipe ( expansion chamber ) but it looks like i learned something that day

Looks like a fun project. Keep us updated on your progress.