Sign in to follow this  

KTM 450EXC or DR-Z400

I need some help here guys, just getting back into riding and I'm stuck more like info over load looking for some input on these two bikes so any info would help.

Thanks

The KTM is more of a race bike......

The Suzuki is more of a play bike.....

How much is your budget??

How experienced are you??

What type of riding will you be doing??

Thanks for the info

How much is your budget?? The KTM is not out of my budget they have some great deals on 08's right now

How experienced are you?? Haven't rode in about 20 years did some racing MX in my teens

What type of riding will you be doing?? Mostly trail riding with some street about 70-30 to 80-20 I live in Washington and have some great trails I can ride to that are about 20 mile away.

Thanks for the info

How much is your budget?? The KTM is not out of my budget they have some great deals on 08's right now

How experienced are you?? Haven't rode in about 20 years did some racing MX in my teens

What type of riding will you be doing?? Mostly trail riding with some street about 70-30 to 80-20 I live in Washington and have some great trails I can ride to that are about 20 mile away.

get the DRZ and enjoy:thumbsup:

The KTM is better than the Suzuki by leaps and bounds. The only advantage the zook has is long haul comfort.

Longer maintenance intervals, too, right? I could be wrong, but I believe the DRZ carries more oil and has significantly longer recommended valve check intervals. That may or may not be important, depending on one's priorities.

Longer maintenance intervals, too, right? I could be wrong, but I believe the DRZ carries more oil and has significantly longer recommended valve check intervals. That may or may not be important, depending on one's priorities.

This is true.

The only practical use I would have for a plated dirtbike would be to connect trails in the forest via paved roads and for poaching (I'm not gonna lie). My post earlier in this thread reflected that. I don't mind the more frequent oil change and valve inspection intervals, but someone using the bike for commuting would.

Still, at 80/20 with the bias going to dirt I still see the KTM as the better machine. If it was 60/40 or 50/50 then the DR-Z would be the better choice.

Plus there are a shitload of used DRZ's for a pittance.

The KTM is a better dirt bike, but it comes with the real cost of being more expensive and it will not be as good on the road.

The DRZ will be cheaper to own and operate but it will not be as fast off road. Although with your 20 year layoff factored in, I would go DRZ all the way. So save some money and buy a used one then take the savings, buy a GPS and go exploring!

+2. And regardless of ones preference in my opinion the KTM is the better choice for offroad.

As long as you take care of the bike just like the way I do to my XC it will be bullet proof reliable.

I would like to thank everyone for there in put it was great info. I picked up the KTM yesterday just a better bike for me since I will be out in the dirt most of the time. Thanks again eveyone it was all great help.

other than less engine maintence there is really nothing a better about a drz. its like comparing a chevy malibu to a 8 series bmw.

+2. And regardless of ones preference in my opinion the KTM is the better choice for offroad.

As long as you take care of the bike just like the way I do to my XC it will be bullet proof reliable.

I mis-read the OP's 80/20 split to mean 80 on-road, 20 off-road. I can definitely get behind the idea of the KTM as a superior dirtbike.