Sign in to follow this  

08 kx 450 top end noise

i have a 08 450 and theres a noise the sounds like its coming from the topend. wondering if any one has ran into somthing out of the ordinary. the timing chain seems tight, the valves are not out of spec. the clutch is pefect. any ideas

Its the timer counting down. It will blow up soon. I'm just playing, I have no idea. Just keeping your post from getting forgotten.

Just keeping your post from getting forgotten.
His post is vague on details (eg. type of sound, engine hrs, maint history, what revs, when hear it, etc) and a sound diagnosed problem is hard to help with on a written web forum. No replies = no ideas. Sorry kdias, you gotta help some people here, before they can help you. Your a first time poster. You need to capture some interest and seem genuine. A youtube video with sound of course, might capture some interest here. But by the time you've done the video, maybe your engine head could be half off. Your call. :lol:

I have a 07 450f, I have noticed a noise also. Mine sounds like the cam chain slapping the case. I have noticed it when I lightly get it the throttle, just off idle. At first, I thought it was spark knock, but its not. The cam chain and tensioner are fine in my bike. the noise bugs me, but i'm learning to live with it.

I hope you find something out, we don't need a grenaded motors. If we wanted that we would have bought 06 models!

I hope you find something out, we don't need a grenaded motors. If we wanted that we would have bought 06 models!

You've got a whopping 6 posts, and you're an "expert" on the '06 KX 450 motor? Please give details of all these "grenaded motors".

All mx fourstrokes makes a lot of engine noise.If you use a glide plate it will amplify the noise.I thought my engine was gonna blow up after I put in a new piston,adjusted the valve clearances to the loose side of the spec and put a skid plate on it.Took it apart two times to find out nothing was wrong,I even built a manual cam chain tensioner.

Unless you havent heard the noise before I wouldnt worry about it.Also take the paranoia effect into consideration.You start thinking about did you hear that noise before or not,soon you are 100% sure you didnt hear it before and there is something wrong with the engine.That cost me 2 headgaskets and lots of time.

All mx fourstrokes makes a lot of engine noise.If you use a glide plate it will amplify the noise.I thought my engine was gonna blow up after I put in a new piston,adjusted the valve clearances to the loose side of the spec and put a skid plate on it.Took it apart two times to find out nothing was wrong,I even built a manual cam chain tensioner.

Unless you havent heard the noise before I wouldnt worry about it.Also take the paranoia effect into consideration.You start thinking about did you hear that noise before or not,soon you are 100% sure you didnt hear it before and there is something wrong with the engine.That cost me 2 headgaskets and lots of time.

100% true

MCL, That was a funny post. :lol:

I started my bike today and had my ear down near the head on the left side, and I was wondering what on earth is making all that noise. I concluded it was just fine. The noise was both everything and nothing.

mine makes loud chain slap kinda racket when it gets hot. dunno what it could be. seems to come from the right side

mine makes loud chain slap kinda racket when it gets hot. dunno what it could be. seems to come from the right side
If it happens (you hear it) when you are semi-coasting and light on the throttle, then maybe it is the chain, or maybe the chain is causing back-lash in the drive train, causing some abnormal loads and noises from the transmission.