Sign in to follow this  

Cleaned carb, new jets - now won't start! Help!

Hi,

This is what I was scared of! Should have left it alone but maybe I will learn something ... just hope weekend riding isn't off. :lol:

Took carb off, replace jets (main, pilot) - was running 420 - replaced with 400 (as per Pro Circuit since I have the PC pipe) - was running 40 - replaced with 37.5 (again as per PC). Generally cleaned carb pretty well - it was fairly clean anyway. DID not mess with the slide or needle.

Measured float and made tiny adjustment to get into spec.

Reassembled and it won't start for nothing! Used to start first kick. Plug is dry and kind of brown - replaced anyway just in case - won't start.

Verified that fuel is getting from tank to carb.

Please help - any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Was the fuel actually getting into the carb, did you plull the float out of the carb if it didn't get back together right it will keep fuel from entering the carb

If the plug was dry, it makes me think your not getting fuel

Thanks yathump! I will check that.

Here is one thing that might help someone - when kicking it and no throttle if has a dry sound - but when I give it some throttle and kick it gets a "throatier" deeper sound, like it want's to start.

Thanks yathump! I will check that.

Here is one thing that might help someone - when kicking it and no throttle if has a dry sound - but when I give it some throttle and kick it gets a "throatier" deeper sound, like it want's to start.

The throatier sound is just the slide opening allow the noise from the engine to be heard through the airbox, if your kicking the heck outta it and you pull the plug and its dry then your not getting fuel.

These bike only need air/fuel/spark to run so just go through the order

Good luck

Thanks, yathump.

Sounds easy enough.

Is there a way to verify fuel in the bowl? Or to test the float?

isnt there a screw/bolt on the bottom of the bowl?

I am going to attempt to clean my carb soon too...

So there is! I'll loosen and see if gas is present.

I'm wondering if I over tightened the screw that hold the float in place and it's not moving like it should ...

Thanks!

Okay - good call yathump! I took the bottom piece off and the float chamber is bone dry! Arrrgggg. I messed something up putting it back together. Any ideas what it might be? The new jets were installed right side up, other than the float assembly that is all I messed with. The float valve seemed okay, it was clean and I put it back right side up, too.

Thanks!

Okay - good call yathump! I took the bottom piece off and the float chamber is bone dry! Arrrgggg. I messed something up putting it back together. Any ideas what it might be? The new jets were installed right side up, other than the float assembly that is all I messed with. The float valve seemed okay, it was clean and I put it back right side up, too.

Thanks!

Did you have the float and needle valve out

Make sure the floats let the needle valve open and close

And the question i hate to ask, there is gas in it correct, i only ask because i've been guilty of this before

Yes - gas in the tank! I understand the need to ask that as I almost forget to do so having drained it before removing the carb. :lol:

Yes - I had the float and valve out. I feel like I have it back like it was however ... there is a screw that holds the float hinge/bar in place. I am wondering how tight that screw has to be. Maybe if I have it too tight it is restricting the movement of the float?

As I understand it - gas enters that chamber until it displaces the floats, pushing them up, and that action depresses the float valve and stops the gas flow. Is that right?

If so them my problem is the valve is not allowing gas in. Hmmm.

Thanks!

When you push up on the floats do they fall right back down or do the not move at all

You pulled the fuel line off and verified that the fuel is gettting to the carb correct, if everything looks like the parts breakdown it should work

http://oem.thumpertalk.com/images/Kawasaki/Motorcycles/I1104_E1611.jpg

The only other thing to do is to pull the carb and check everything over

If i'm thinking correctly the needle valve should have a little end that gets slide into the notch on the float assembly

Yeah - I'm going to go over everything again in the morning. Maybe the float valve failed? Should I be able to blow air into the gas main and feel it through the float valve? Is that how the bowl fills?

Thanks

Yeah - I'm going to go over everything again in the morning. Maybe the float valve failed? Should I be able to blow air into the gas main and feel it through the float valve? Is that how the bowl fills?

Thanks

The gas should flow through the lines into the carb while filling the float bowl and lifting the floats it will seat the needle valve and stop the flow into the carb

try leaning the bowl drain out then turn the gas on the tank and work the floats up and down with the gas on and see if you get anything

Sorry i can't come up with anything more

Okay - I got it running! Thanks for all the help!

Here is what was happening ...

I hooked up the gas and left the bottom of the bowl off - I verified that when the float was down gas was entering the bowl area - pushing up the float stopped the gas supply. I put the bottom piece back on, reinstalled the carb and it wouldn't start! Arrrgg.

I took the carb over to the bench and looked it over closely - I worked the float and checked the float valve - everything seemed fine! I noticed that the float made a small noise when it moved up and down- a little click as it hit the plastic retaining piece. I put the bottom piece back on and flipped the carb over several times but never heard that noise. So I barely cracked the bottom, enough to see the float, flipped the carb and it wasn't moving. So ... long story short [too late I know!] putting the bottom piece on was constricting the float movement. So I jacked with it, moving the tang up and down positioning it until it had free movement with the carb sealed up. It starts and runs great now!!

Only drawback is I don't know if I got the float height just right. What are indications that it's not right?

Thanks again for all the advice! I definitely learned a bit about troubleshooting!. :lol:

if your float height is off the bike could run rich or it will leak gas out the overflow tube when the bike is off....

if your float height is off the bike could run rich or it will leak gas out the overflow tube when the bike is off....

Great too hear you got your bike running

It could also cause a lean condition if it does not allow the correct amount of fuel into the bowl, be aware of engine run on after the throttle is shutoff, or an erratic idle