Clutch issues?

Ok, here's whats going on. I can E start the bike fine in neutral, and when I put it in gear it lurches forward a bit, but nothing crazy. If the bike is cold and i try to take off without warming it up it will stall putting it into 1st gear. Also when it's warm I have a very hard time starting it in gear, I have to put it in neutral with no clutch in.

So I put the bike up on a stand, started it in neutral, then shifted it into 1st gear. The tire spun pretty fast even with the clutch in.

I'm thinking that is an adjustment to the clutch. Even though I have the lever pulled all the way in, the clutch is still engaging the gears.

Is there an adjustment for that? I tried the little knob on the lever, but didn't do anything. Not sure here. Some help would be appreciated. Its an 08 530exc.

Thanks

Sounds normal

i have the same bike, with the same problems... I have about 10 hours on the bike now. I have a post on here walking you through all the things to check.

One person told me I just needed more time on the bike, to wear the clutch in, and I have to say it seems to be working. I took the bike out and rode it pretty good for a few hours in the dirt, lots of slipping the clutch through technical stuff, and now it works much better. Up until then i had about 30 minutes in the dirt, and the rest on the street... I was trying to work out all the kinks in the bike before I took it for serious dirt rides.

Also when I changed the trany oil, there was a little too much in there... not sure if this matters, but I noticed a big difference just after I changed it (which was before my several hour dirt ride).

how many hours on your bike now, and how many from dirt riding?

i have the same bike, with the same problems... I have about 10 hours on the bike now. I have a post on here walking you through all the things to check.

One person told me I just needed more time on the bike, to wear the clutch in, and I have to say it seems to be working. I took the bike out and rode it pretty good for a few hours in the dirt, lots of slipping the clutch through technical stuff, and now it works much better. Up until then i had about 30 minutes in the dirt, and the rest on the street... I was trying to work out all the kinks in the bike before I took it for serious dirt rides.

Also when I changed the trany oil, there was a little too much in there... not sure if this matters, but I noticed a big difference just after I changed it (which was before my several hour dirt ride).

how many hours on your bike now, and how many from dirt riding?

The bike is a year old, and has 75+ hours. When it was new I didn't have this issue, it has been getting progressively worse... hmmmm ??? Is this a sign of the clutch going out? I'm going to check the trans fluid as well.

Sounds normal

Really? I thought normal was pulling the clutch in and the wheel not turning?

with the bike in gear and the back wheel off the ground, and the clutch pulled in, you'll see a little wheel spin.

It could be you need to bleed the lines, might have warped plates, could be a bad master or slave... sounds like its time for some inspection.

that being said, check out this post, and search for others as there is some good info on this subject already detailed.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=743545

let us know what you find.

Perfect, will do.:lol:

As Dave said, it sounds normal.

It will clunk in gear when the oil is cold and get less clunky as the oil warms up. If you have the stock battery, it is real hard for the starter to turn over a cold engine with it in gear. The back tire will spin if the bike is on a stand, clutch in and in gear. This is pretty normal for a wet clutch system like the KTM uses.

But now you are saying this is something that has gotten progressively worse as time goes on. That points to another problem.

If the lever is feeling spongey or different than it was, you may need to bleed the system. I perfer to back bleed it. The lever should move really easy for a half inch or so and then it will get harder as the hydrolics start to work and feel consistant from there.

If the lever feel fine, then you may have some warped disk is the clutch pack. Usually you will feel it creeping pretty good all the time or it will surge when you are sitting still with the clutch in. You can check the metal plates by laying them on a piece of glass to check for flatness. Replace the ones that are warped. The friction plates should be fine.

Hope that helps.