18 inch wheel rebuild log (pics)

Ok so i thought id make a log on switching to an 18 inch wheel just for an excuse to take pictures and have some fun while doing so :lol: Its probably the most boring build log but hey everyone loves pictures.

Fresh pc parts received today, couldnt be happier. Semi-gloss black on wheels\carrier rings. a mix of fire engine red and orange red on hub\skid plate (idk what the color was called but its a perfect match). all done for $75

BE WARNED. VERY RED!

before:

P2100004.jpg

after:

P2150241.jpg

P2150242.jpg

P2150245.jpg

P2150246.jpg

Nothing like fresh powder

Nothing like fresh powder

oh theres no better feeling!

loose lace completed, trueing 2maro (sigh) oh the fun!

P2150248.jpg

'dis gonna look badass....

Wasn't too excited about the hubs in the first pics but it sure looks nice put together. Very sharp. Nice contrast of black and red.

Wasn't too excited about the hubs in the first pics but it sure looks nice put together. Very sharp. Nice contrast of black and red.

camera does no justice. on camera they look extremely orange, but as you can see in color comparison they are the exact red off the graphics. I was thinking of getting them done in a candy red but i wanted to be different and go with a flat color. Im glad i made that choice.

I also just forgot i have 1 more nipple i need to get off a old spoke. That thing wouldnt move so i just dremeled the spoke off as it was the last one. Cant get that sucker off with a work bench vice + 2 other vice grips and penatrating oil. Might have to drill it out and re tap it.

Im looking forward to the results.

Are there any negatives from dropping to an 18" rear and still having the 21 front?

Im looking forward to the results.

Are there any negatives from dropping to an 18" rear and still having the 21 front?

Can't be. All the WR-Fs and CRF-Xs have them OEM (18 rear with a 21 front). The CRF-X frame is slightly different than the CRF-R frame. I think but don't know that the WR-F frame is similar to the YZ-F frame. I have heard that the overall wheel height of the 18" is the same as the 19" so there can't be any effect besides more sidewall. Personally, my 19" works for me despite the 18" benefits.

:lol:

The P/C'd wheels look bad ass. I've always wanted black rims with gold hubs and p/c for the hubs is pretty much a given (not shelling out $$ for talons) but I at least wanted to get different colored rims. Seeing how well yours came out now I'm thinking p/c for the wheels as well might be the way to fly! $75 ain't bad!

It is correct the 19 & 18 are close to the same height, I have one of each and like the 18 for most of my riding as IMO saves me riding in the rocks & roots as far as pinched tubes. I really can't feel any noticeable difference in performance other than I think it's easier to find better & cheaper tires for the kind of riding I do.

I really can't feel any noticeable difference in performance other than I think it's easier to find better & cheaper tires for the kind of riding I do.

No doubt. :lol:

None that I have noticed. In fact, I was shocked at how well I was hooking up in the soup last weekend.

None that I have noticed. In fact, I was shocked at how well I was hooking up in the soup last weekend.

Ya my GG with the 18" rear definately hooked up better in the mud.

And no one makes a trials tire in 19 inch. Lots of folks I ride with are now using trials tires for woods riding. They say they really grip wet roots and rocks and wet red clay. I just bought a 18 inch WR wheel for my YZ250 and am going to install a trials tire and see how I like it.

And no one makes a trials tire in 19 inch. Lots of folks I ride with are now using trials tires for woods riding. They say they really grip wet roots and rocks and wet red clay. I just bought a 18 inch WR wheel for my YZ250 and am going to install a trials tire and see how I like it.

Get your 19" trials tire here

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7650419#post7650419

Hi,

could you give some details on lacing the rim up? how do you know/get the right pattern? also how do you make sure you have the correct off-set for the sprocket?

Thanks,Ben

I know as a start, when you are taking the wheel apart it makes things a lot simpler if you ziptie the spokes at their intersections. Then take everything apart and mount the new wheel, once done with that you can either true it yourself with a bought/handmade jig or take it to a shop and pay the $10 or so for them to do it.

$10? I wish it was that price!

I know as a start, when you are taking the wheel apart it makes things a lot simpler if you ziptie the spokes at their intersections. Then take everything apart and mount the new wheel, once done with that you can either true it yourself with a bought/handmade jig or take it to a shop and pay the $10 or so for them to do it.

$10? try $75 A WHEEL. Thats why i know how to do i myself.

Ummm, offset... hmmm well ive never really thought about that, but if you lace it right and true it right it should all be good. ive never had a problem with that in the past and never really thought about it tbh.